My New Chainsaw Needs A License As It Is A 'Weapon' - is that correct?

dsfbrit

Stihl will sell direct to end users in Thailand IF you obtain the license first. Below is communications this week from the Stihl distributor

Thank you for your interest in Stihl
If you have a license from the Forestry Department, then you can buy from us
Please let me know the size of trees/logs you wish to cut so that we can determine the model of the machine and length of the blade as we have different lengths ranging from 12" to 36"
Regards

Thanks for the link to the genuine Stihl site and the info on buying a Stihl directly from them. I will go that route later in the year when I buy a new saw.

The price of the licence is free. I know it does not seem possible, but my wife assures me that is correct as she spoke to the Forestry Department last.

I have just asked her again and she says she is 100 percent sure it is free - so I would not dare argue with my wife!!!

DSFBRIT You may not want to argue with your wife, but YOU might want to go in person and get the application forms and actual fee quote for the license to own a chain saw in your province. It is NOT free according to Mr. Saiyont Srihabua. He is Director of Buriram Provincial Natural Resources and Environment Office.

Buriram Provincial Natural Resources and Environment Office has moved from the old office to the new city hall since 25th of June. Telephone number 044 666553 -54

• 2 months later...

I have a 30ft tree at my house in Pattaya that needs taking down at its base (the roots are threatening my and my neighbour's foundations). It is in a confined area so it needs a professional with a chainsaw to take it down in stages. Can anyone recommend someone? Thanks in advance.

• 7 months later...

Very grateful for all the info on this thread.

Similar situation. Local shop sold me a chainsaw with no mention of any legal requirement for permits.

Locals see me using it and say be careful as I may have problem. Search on TVF brought me here.

The English speaking guy in the shop is very helpful, looks after me and we have a good 'relationship'. He's worth more to me than the money I paid for the chainsaw.

Spoke to him today and he's still got the impression that up to 12" is ok.

Don't want to upset him by kicking up a stink. But not happy with the situation he's put me in. So went for scare tactics.

Told him I'd phoned the forestry commission, explained what the new laws are and then told him that they demanded to know where I bought the chainsaw - and that I'd told them.

His jaw literally dropped. I can't say the look on his face was priceless, but it was a picture.

Then told him I wouldn't do that to him and I'd hung up when they asked. He couldn't thank me enough.

Hopefully, I've got a string of favours coming my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• 7 months later...

Hello,

Many thanks to the previous posts and the info provided on this topic.

Re: Chainsaw License:

Can the license be issued to a foreigner? ( I have the yellow Tambien Baan) ( Buriram). If so, is it issued over the counter at the time of applying.

Is it free, or if not, how much?

How long is the license valid for?

Kind Regards, Off road

I know people who have followed regulations ( more tha a year ago ) and registered their new chainsaws with the local police stations.

I know others who have bought new saws and refused to register them, and had no problem.

I am not a lawyer, but I bet that if you are not doing anything illegal with your saw, you will have no problems.

If they require yo to register it before they will honour the warranty, you have a problem.

If I had an unregistered saw and was doing nothing wrong with it, I would probably just carry an extra 500 baht with me incase I met up with a "hungry" BIB.

Think of it as extra" bar oil"..or lubrication for your saw.cheesy.gif

I've seen a few gasoline chain saws being sold and repaired in Buriram at the same Buriram Builders merchants that repairs my power tools and lawn mowers. I've also seen one brand of electric chain saw at the same Buriram Builders Merchants store, but I was told it is not a popular item. I do know that 11.5" chain saws are sold quite often to both expats and Thai citizens and that quite often a longer Oregon brand saw and chain is installed for an extra fee. Maybe people go out and apply for the permit at:

Buriram Provincial Natural Resources and Environment Office.

Buriram Provincial Natural Resources and Environment Office has moved from the old office to the new HUGE Provincial Government complex since 25th of June 2014. Or maybe they do not bother to apply. I would agree with post 42, especially expats who are not going to be doing illegal cutting. I got a very puzzled look from the manager of the Buriram chain saw repair department if a permit was mandatory for free warranty repairs. She thought I was joking. She would not care at all about a permit, she is more concerned with satisfied customers when she fixes a chain saw in or out of warranty. Even in Pattaya an expat can have a Thai friend apply for a chain saw permit AFTER they have bought the chain saw in Buriram with no hassle. I know this to be a fact. If you are stopped at a police road block with a chain saw you MIGHT be asked to present a permit. Nothing 200 baht can not cover if you did not have the chain saw permit in your truck.

post-20604-0-25943900-1424354082_thumb.j

post-20604-0-87218900-1424354095_thumb.j

post-20604-0-30790400-1424354268_thumb.j

post-20604-0-28552700-1424354285_thumb.j

This morning I see a new gasoline chainsaw display in Buriram. I also see 3 different chain saws being repaired this Saturday morning in Buriram where my Bosch lawn mower is being fixed. Family mowed the lawn after a rain and it did not agree with that Bosch electric lawn mower. HomePro in Buriram also sells a 11.5" gasoline chain saw from Asgatec for a few thousand baht more than the family owned not air conditioned builders merchants sell gasoline chain saws and modify chain saws and repair chain saws. I did not see the repair facility or anyone with grease on their hands at the beautiful Home Pro in Buriram. Maybe the repair facility is hidden behind the spa whirlpool tubs at the Buriram HomePro Store. I'll ask the Asgatec representative at the Buriram Homepro store about a permit to operate a gasoline chain saw.

post-20604-0-72465500-1424483957_thumb.j

post-20604-0-72515400-1424483981_thumb.j

I see Flymo lists:

Lux Royal (Thailand) Co. Ltd523-535 Sukhumvit 71 Rd, Prakanong-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok, Thailand, 10110Tel: +662 381 3355Fax: +662 391 1806 http://www.lux.co.th/about-us-th/

facebook page https://www.facebook.com/luxroyal.thai/info?tab=page_info However my wife spoke Thai and then I spoke English today with Miss Ko Areerat and she said "No have in Thailand". Her e-mail is [email protected] This would not be the first brand I have tried to find that shows a Thailand distributor, but the Thailand listed distributor says they really do not have the product in Thailand. There might be a "grey market" importer of this lawn mower, but I am not aware of such for Flymo.

• 3 months later...

Saw that they still sell them at Thaiwatsadu, but it depends on the person you ask if they are allowed. Anyway, i got a look at one model and took a photo of the first page of the manual, which stated the new thai law in thai language. According to my wife, it speaks of the smaller than 1 hp rule and the under 1 ft of length and, at nr 3, it states that you only need a license if the chainsaw does not apply to those limits. I´ll try to post the picture. I there are any thai readers with ¨law-speak¨ knowledge out there, pls do check.

post-24740-0-59248000-1432560447_thumb.j

Edited by tracker

• 1 year later...

The asgetic chainsaws and brushcutters sold in Home pro are not made in germany as they claim, how could they be at the price they sell them for

I have a chainsaw and a brushcutter Asetic brand i bought from homepro in phuket

If you look at the boxes they come in and listen to the sales staff they are made in Germany

On the instruction booklet for both items it says Made In China which i already new

Chainsaw cost 7,000 baht and brushcutter 3,000 baht CS looks like a copy of stihl

I had stihl chainsaws in Australia and they are one of if not the most expensive saw brands to buy, i had 4 different saws and the cheapest handyman type one cost about 15,000 baht to the most expensive professional saw which was actually made in Germany cost 60.000 baht approx at the time

In Australia you only need a license to operate a chainsaw if you cut professionally in state owned and controlled forests 

Edited by madmax2