One-way car rental Bangkok to Chumpon?

leola74

I would like to do a one-way car rental from Bangkok to Chumpon, for something like 3-4 days. None of the major (or even minor) companies appear to have an office in Chumpon. Does anyone know the best way to do this?

To give you the background: We need to get to Samui from BKK, and would like to stop for a few days around Pranburi. Driving onwards from Pranburi to Samui via Don Sak is a frightening idea because we have a two-year old who doesn't like to stay in the car for more than about 2 hours. Thus we'd prefer driving from Pranburi to Chumpon, leaving the car there, and catching the ferry to Samui via Don Sak. Our daughter will like the long boat ride much better than a long car ride.

Please don't suggest things like trains or buses. Too much hassle with a little kid. It's a car we want!

I've googled around and found people having the same question, but haven't found a positive answer. Maybe there isn't one, but I thought I'd check with the experts...

Thanks!!

Hua Hin will be your closest major town to the North of Chumpon, Suratthani to the south.The drive to Dongsak is not that harrowing, several points of interest on the way, plus several big petrol stations with restaurants etc......

You can spend the night at Suratthani , then take a leisurely drive to the ferry.

Why not just break up the journey more often? That way you'll be able to get down to Surat Thani, where there are plenty of car rental offices. Or preferably, just take your car all the way to Samui by putting it on the car ferry at Surat Thani. Or is there a car ferry at Chumpon too? Not sure why you would want to get rid of the car before you're even at your destination.

Not sure why you would want to get rid of the car before you're even at your destination.

Because I don't want to drive all the way down to Don Sak - please see OP.

And I don't want to waste a day, spending a night in Suratthani - too much hassle. I want to drop off the car at Chumpon and get on the ferry to Samui.

Does anyone know if any of the rental companies would organize a pick-up in Chumpon, i.e. drive the car back to Hua Hin or Suratthani themselves?

People are trying to help you. No major car rentals in Chumpon. It's only about 3 1/2 hours to Dongsak. If you think your kid can't stand it, you can always make a few stops.

He can't stay in the car for 3 1/2 hours, but will last several on a ferry in probably a rougher ride on the Cat.

He can't stay in the car for 3 1/2 hours, but will last several on a ferry in probably a rougher ride on the Cat.

I guess you don't have kids tongue.png On a boat a kid can run around, in the car it has to sit still. Big difference!

I know what the options in terms of staying overnight in Suratthani, taking the car to Samui, etc. are ... I'm not interested in that, I'm looking for an answer on a specific question: Do any of the rental companies organize a pick-up in Chumpon, i.e. drive the car back to Hua Hin or Suratthani themselves?

Please don't blame me for getting the thread back on topic.

I guess you don't have kids tongue.png On a boat a kid can run around, in the car it has to sit still. Big difference!

I know what the options in terms of staying overnight in Suratthani, taking the car to Samui, etc. are ... I'm not interested in that, I'm looking for an answer on a specific question: Do any of the rental companies organize a pick-up in Chumpon, i.e. drive the car back to Hua Hin or Suratthani themselves?

Wow you have a bad attitude! No wonder people are not keen on helping you. Yes I do have kids and have a home in Chumphon

so have done this trip many times with no problem. But maybe I have special skills with children so I don't see your worry. The

answer about big hire companies in Chumphon NO!

• 4 weeks later...

Well you could always catch a one hour flight from Bangkok to Samui then, if traveling by car is such a hassle for your child.

Well you could always catch a one hour flight from Bangkok to Samui then, if traveling by car is such a hassle for your child.

Yeah the plane, since your kid can't last 3.5 hours to Dongsak with plenty of stopping opportunities.But you are willing to let him loose on unsuspecting passengers on a catamaran for 4+ hours.