Thailand needs to invest in people, not rice

webfact

Thailand Needs to Invest in People, Not Rice
By William Pesek

BANGKOK: -- The search for lessons from lost economic decades has led from Japan to the U.S. to Europe. Now the spotlight turns to Thailand.

This may strike some as odd, considering Thailand’s 5.3 percent growth, its young and expanding population, and the surprising level of political stability in Bangkok. In her two years leading Thailand’s 68 million people, Yingluck Shinawatra has somehow managed to tamp down the virtual civil war that led to the ouster of her prime minister brother in 2006.

Look closer, though, at the thrust of Yingluck’s economic policies. Her government has subsidized rice prices, provided handouts to car buyers and favored megaprojects that will enrich the politically connected more than the masses.

All this comes at the expense of long-term competitiveness and prosperity: Thailand should instead be investing in its future, especially education, if it wants to break out of the “middle-income trap” that befalls many developing nations.

Yingluck’s U-turn last week on the government’s policy of hoarding rice at above-market rates is a case in point. She had planned to limit a practice that jeopardizes the country’s fiscal position and warps commodity markets. Moody’s Investors Service says the subsidies damage Thailand’s credit rating. Yet she caved to farmers, even firing her commerce minister to do so.

Full story: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-11/thailand-need-to-invest-in-people-not-rice.html

-- Bloomberg 2013-07-12

Yingluck Shinawatra has somehow managed to tamp down the virtual civil war that led to the ouster of her prime minister brother in 2006.

Look closer, though, at the thrust of Yingluck’s economic policies. Her government has subsidized rice prices, provided handouts to car buyers and favored mega projects that will enrich the politically connected more than the masses.

Need to invest in basic things and lots of R&D for following things.

Agriculture without unnecessary chemical fertilizers and encourage farmers to use traditional farming tools like earthworms, fertilizers from stover and cow dung etc.

For quality education teachers training and appointment should be after strict entrance test like National Eligibility Test. Schools and colleges should be rated and encourage competition for grading.

who is this William Pesek by the way ? good after breakfast reading, but I almost throw out :- (

love to see if anyone here can make a slightly little change on the EDUCATION, or in a way of investing people. Singapore did it 50 years ago - invest in people, not rice, and you see the result today.

invest in people - you will see a very very and very slow ROI. how can any not-longer-than-3-years government administration do it ?

Education was the last scam, millions after millions made on dodgy tablets.

Chicken feed compared to the current rort, the rice scam. We're talking billions with that baby.

But the real winner is yet to come - HSR. That's gonna be like a vampire in the blood bank, trillions of baht. Numbers so big the peons haven't even got a word to measure it.

Education is bottom of the list for investment for many reasons, mainly to do with the hierarchy being afraid that the students will surpass the teachers, but this is what teaching is meant to be all about - make the students better than me (the teacher). Thailand has a long way to go on this road, but so did many other countries. Illiteracy in USA is still a major problem is some areas.

• Like 1

Correct, people first, Rice second.

I know two Thai English teachers that can't speak English. I was staggered when I found out that the first one was an English teacher, this was beyond belief. My two year old grandson has far more vocabulary.

If you have rotten teachers then you get rotten results, and in this " no fail " system in Thailand it just brings forward a pretence of success. The problem is the pretence doesn't work when you are in an adult competitive situation.

Purge the schools of these rotten teachers and that will be a start.

Agree! thumbsup.gif But where exactly are they going to recruit qualified teachers? In a recent test for assistantteachers in some provinces the applicants failed en masse. In Korat 47 of 2749 applicants passed the test. 4 passed the Thai languagetest!!w00t.gif

No amount of money is going to make the Thais more intelligent!

It is indeed a very vicious cycle.

Btw. The government is investing in people. Themselves! whistling.gif

I know two Thai English teachers that can't speak English. I was staggered when I found out that the first one was an English teacher, this was beyond belief. My two year old grandson has far more vocabulary.

If you have rotten teachers then you get rotten results, and in this " no fail " system in Thailand it just brings forward a pretence of success. The problem is the pretence doesn't work when you are in an adult competitive situation.

It is a well known fact that many Thai teachers can be considered as top grammar teachers, and can put many English native speakers to shame, but there is one problem, they can not speak English properly, Why? Because they have not learned vocabulary, it is time to realise that grammar does not teach one to speak any language. if you know vocabulary you can speak, if you can speak, you can read, if you can read, you can write. grammar follows automatically in speaking, reading and writing.

• Like 2

Hire Scots that no one understands, hehehe

• Like 1

Education is bottom of the list for investment for many reasons, mainly to do with the hierarchy being afraid that the students will surpass the teachers, but this is what teaching is meant to be all about - make the students better than me (the teacher). Thailand has a long way to go on this road, but so did many other countries. Illiteracy in USA is still a major problem is some areas.

I think you misunderestimate the American people.

• Like 1

Thailand Needs to HAS ALREADY Invested in People, Not EDUCATION SYSTEM AKA BRAINWASHING PROPAGANDA , CORRUPTION, SCAMS

Corruption money in brown envelops under the table have already been preparedsorry.gifsorry.gif , be prepared for RICEBERGS AND FLOODED ATLANTIS AREAS NATIONWIDEburp.gif

I think you misunderestimate the American people.

Is that misunderstand or under-estimate ? ;)

I think the topic is slightly incorrect.

There was no investment in rice (it was bought, warehoused and to all intents a purposes forgotten about).

The investment was in voters.

So it was in fact an investment in people - but a worthless investment with negative return for all but a few well-connected souls.

This group now invests in Taksin, Thai people are just in the way of the PTP.

This group now invests in Taksin, Thai people are just in the way of the PTP.

It is apparent that PTP are trying to modify strategic planning in Thailand that will enable the Nation to break through into a wealth building infrastructure that may finally make Thailand wealthy for all of it's citizens. (subjects).

George Dubya came to mind when I read thisbiggrin.png

And ran the place for 8 years!!!!

Edited by Mudcrab

I remember a former Premier of West Australia telling me , what's good for the state or country , not what's good for a particular area or people in that area, this applies to the PM of Thailand , everything PM Yingluck dose must be in the best interests of Thailand and all it's people and this is where the cookie crumbles with this Administration, not one member is there for the country or it's people, only for themselves , pity ,Thailand could be a great country in governance, trade , influence and all the points that matter to make it a country envied by others , instead the whole of the country has a mentality of whats in it for me attitude, is it any wounder when you look at the leadership. I rest my case your honour. coffee1.gif

Which Premier?? There's been a few dodgy ones over the years?

Agree! thumbsup.gif But where exactly are they going to recruit qualified teachers? In a recent test for assistantteachers in some provinces the applicants failed en masse. In Korat 47 of 2749 applicants passed the test. 4 passed the Thai languagetest!!w00t.gif

I don't think any amount of money can make people more intelligent anywhere on the planet. More educated perhaps...but more intelligent...don't think so!

Christ on a cracker this is dull. We haven't heard all of this time and again? And will forever up until the land that time forgot loses it's main attraction and either grows the fckup, or implodes. Given the average iq of the average Thai/expat, I'm betting on the latter. Yay.

yes , in good Actors, in good drivers , in good monks who give the money to the poor people, clean politicans, seriouse mercedes and ferarri owners,electricans,car mecanic mans, sunglas designer, every tourist his own bodyguard,gouverments jet ski rentals, facebook player who post some interesting stuff,...... many people,clever forum writers,.........

Edited by aechzen

I don't think any amount of money can make people more intelligent anywhere on the planet. More educated perhaps...but more intelligent...don't think so!

Actually, the right nutrition and the right mental stimulation at a young age (0-4 years old), can make people more intelligent (on average of course).

Breast feeding is one factor, but there are others.

Anyway, about the Thai problem, it can not be solved quickly as education is a long process and even if you start today you will only start to feel the benefits when today's kids graduate from college and enter the work force in 15 years.

The problem is that most politicians don't make plans that will reap benefits 15-20 years from now. This requires foresight and ideology they simply don't have here.