Rimping Grocery - a report

jko

Was out ti Promenada today. The Rimping there is supposed to be the largest one they have. If it is like the Mall the finale product should be spectacular.

The only down side to the place is I still haven't found their movie listings.

Is Rimping opening a store in the new Maya Mall?

Was out ti Promenada today. The Rimping there is supposed to be the largest one they have. If it is like the Mall the finale product should be spectacular.

Yes I heard the same, a Rimping Grocery in Maya Mall - which is close to Kasem Store in Nimmanhaemin, and this may affect his business, so perhaps good that Kasem is apparently moving over towards Suthep Road.

I hope Kasem continues to prosper - the shop has served us well over many years, and they deserve ongoing success.

I gather there are more Rimping Groceries to follow - this apparently is the sense behind the "And beyond" tag line on the posters and billboards around town.

Yes I heard the same, a Rimping Grocery in Maya Mall - which is close to Kasem Store in Nimmanhaemin, and this may affect his business, so perhaps good that Kasem is apparently moving over towards Suthep Road.

I hope Kasem continues to prosper - the shop has served us well over many years, and they deserve ongoing success.

I gather there are more Rimping Groceries to follow - this apparently is the sense behind the "And beyond" tag line on the posters and billboards around town.

Eagerly awaiting the opening of a Rimping branch in Mae Hia Market (Irrigation Canal Road).

Anybody heard when this one will be opening?

• Like 1

Can you give approx directions to star ave outlet please. I am out of the city these days and just can't picture the location. Thanks

It's in that somewhat new center near the bus station right on Hwy 11, same shopping center the new McDonald's is in.

I think I saw their movie listings at www.movieseer.com

I’d heard a few people disparagingly say this ‘Grocery’ offshoot of Rimping Supermarket was “just another 7-11’

I have never heard this from anyone.

This is not the cheapest place to shop

Rimping has always had a huge selection, and the price of thai stuff is the same as Tesco and Big C in my experience, the only difference is that they stock a ton of quality imports also at reasonable prices (for imported food). It's an awesome supermarket.

• Like 1

Eagerly awaiting the opening of a Rimping branch in Mae Hia Market (Irrigation Canal Road).

Anybody heard when this one will be opening?

Getting close but have had no luck getting a date.In Thai style, going to be a chaotic car parking situation,already bad with the Market, Tesco Express and 2 new condo buildings

Over the years, Rimping has been one of the best business models in CM and I've watched them go from 2 shops to how many now?? and more on the way. Are there any Rimpings outside of CM?? Seems that they know how to please the falang and hi-so Thai market............

Got it

Thank you

Will be interesting to see if they show different movies at the Maya Mall when it opens.

Don't know if the new star does.

Always great to be able to see a movie and then shop at a Rimping all in the one trip.

I’d heard a few people disparagingly say this ‘Grocery’ offshoot of Rimping Supermarket was “just another 7-11’

Rimping has always had a huge selection, and the price of thai stuff is the same as Tesco and Big C in my experience, the only difference is that they stock a ton of quality imports also at reasonable prices (for imported food). It's an awesome supermarket.

Well I have to agree with you it is an awesome market.

The one down side to it is any time they have the ingredients in English they put a sticker over it and I have to ask the wife. Perhaps that is done by the supplier but they could ask them to put the sticker another place.

I am not a health fanatic who has to have clinical proof and read through a pile of literature before I will eat any thing. But I do need to cut out as much sugar as possiblesad.png and cut down on the saturated fats.

the price of thai stuff is the same as Tesco and Big C

I've found in cases that Rimping is less expensive than Big C for some products, like my favorite brand of Pomegranate juice (which is 51 baht a carton at RP, and 68 baht at Big C. If you browse their specials and comparison shop, Rimping is competitively priced and has one heck of a wider selection. I shop at all these places, but Rimping make me feel at home. biggrin.png

I've found in cases that Rimping is less expensive than Big C for some products, like my favorite brand of Pomegranate juice (which is 51 baht a carton at RP, and 68 baht at Big C. If you browse their specials and comparison shop, Rimping is competitively priced and has one heck of a wider selection. I shop at all these places, but Rimping make me feel at home. biggrin.png

Not laughing at you but it takes me back to when I was still living in Canada fresh out of a relationship and retired.

That was part of my once a week to do things. Take all the ads and go through them and make a list of who had what at the best prices.

I am not single now but if I could read Thai and had them dropped off at the front door regularly like back in Canada that is what I would do.

I actually enjoyed it.

Not laughing at you but it takes me back to when I was still living in Canada fresh out of a relationship and retired.

That was part of my once a week to do things. Take all the ads and go through them and make a list of who had what at the best prices.

I am not single now but if I could read Thai and had them dropped off at the front door regularly like back in Canada that is what I would do.

I actually enjoyed it.

I couldn't "quote" your post (software error of some sort) so I'll do so here instead :)

Yeah, I enjoyed that too. Get the Wednesday paper and go to the back for the shopping adverts. See who has the better deals Safeway, Albertsons, Piggley-Wiggley, or the local stores. Cut out the coupon and head out Thursday evening after work for serious weekly grocery shopping. Interesting, but in American I was always the cook in all of my relationships. I enjoyed it and I enjoyed the weekly shopping. Here in Thailand, it's cheaper to eat out. I occasionally cook at home but not often. Generally when I'm in the mood for something farang, or my wife is eating something Lanna that I don't care for. Here in Thailand I do like going to the open markets.

I actually enjoyed it.

I couldn't "quote" your post (software error of some sort) so I'll do so here instead smile.png

Yeah, I enjoyed that too. Get the Wednesday paper and go to the back for the shopping adverts. See who has the better deals Safeway, Albertsons, Piggley-Wiggley, or the local stores. Cut out the coupon and head out Thursday evening after work for serious weekly grocery shopping. Interesting, but in American I was always the cook in all of my relationships. I enjoyed it and I enjoyed the weekly shopping. Here in Thailand, it's cheaper to eat out. I occasionally cook at home but not often. Generally when I'm in the mood for something farang, or my wife is eating something Lanna that I don't care for. Here in Thailand I do like going to the open markets.

I found the one problem with it was I would often end up with more than I needed.

I just want to add this: I was recently at Big C Extra, and prunes, the imported brand from CA, whatever that is, was something like 113 baht, and they were set out on an end cap, as if it was a special price, and at Rimping, where I normally buy, the price was 92 baht, for same package. Normal price. Same size ..I buy these often so could notice the difference.

I also LOVE Rimping ...makes living here so much better!

• Like 1

Vegetables at Mae Hia Market for one are about half the price you would pay at Rimping and fresher. At 10 am they are unloading the pick ups straight onto the stalls.Fruit at the same market is about 25% cheaper.No arguments on general food lines you lose on one and gain on another through Rimping,Big C,Tesco etc but why people buy fresh salad vegetables, especially. at supermarkets is beyond me.

Vegetables at Mae Hia Market for one are about half the price you would pay at Rimping and fresher. At 10 am they are unloading the pick ups straight onto the stalls.Fruit at the same market is about 25% cheaper.No arguments on general food lines you lose on one and gain on another through Rimping,Big C,Tesco etc but why people buy fresh salad vegetables, especially. at supermarkets is beyond me.

Are the prices quoted or do you have to haggle?

I wonder why Rimping bothers with fruits and vegetables though.

The insanity of the prices (and usually right in the area where you come in too) just reflects badly on the entire place.

There's always the possibility that they know their business better than you do.

• Like 1

Rimping sells a lot of pesticide-free vegetables and higher quality salads that are not easy to find at most markets and besides that, some Rimpings are quite convenient . I'd rather pay more for some items if it saves me time and I can do it all in one go. I don't think I'm alone in that and Supermarkets worldwide seem to have spotted that one too.

Are the prices quoted or do you have to haggle?

There is no haggling over prices of food, ever, anywhere in the country. (Save maybe for the deepest, darkest tourist traps that I'm excluding here.)

Either the prices are posted, or you ask and they advise the price. (Such as with the pesticide controlled produce seller at Mae Hia)

What does happen is that she'll offer to sell a small quantity for something expensive, say only a couple stalks of celery instead of the whole bunch. And at some places you can ask if they can add some minor item for free when you buy a lot.

As a regular customer of certain vendors at the Rumchok Market they often give me a discount w/o my asking. Yesterday I was charged 25 bht/kg for rambutan that was posted 30 bht/kg and many other times my preferred fruit vendor (or my "other girlfriend" as my real GF who stays home while I go out shopping refers to her and the other sellers I frequent) give me a few free things usually things that are about at the end of their shelve life.

Edited by junglechef

I find Rimping has competitive prices in a lot of products and not so much for others. I basically stay away from the produce. It's prettier I guess but I don't find it to be better than what I can get at the city market and the prices are through the roof.