Holiday advise: Karon vs Kata

wellred

I stayed in Patong last time and although I enjoyed it I want something a bit more laid back this time. My criteria is nice quality beach, good choice of places and tour agencies to organize day trips. Beach wise Kata seems to be better but do you know if I can walk it to Kata beach from Karon and vice versa? The hotel options on Karon seem to be a bit more varied so I'm leaning towards there.

Also in terms of nightlife which of the 2 has more beer bars? Not expecting anything like Patong but I read a few years ago that 1 of those places had some beer bars?

Any other advise would be great thanks.

Thanks

Karon Beach at this time of year is about the most dangerous beach to swim at there is on the island. I would pick Kata over Karon to visit, personally. But then I wouldn't live in either one...

Karon Beach at this time of year is about the most dangerous beach to swim at there is on the island. I would pick Kata over Karon to visit, personally. But then I wouldn't live in either one...

Apologies I should have stated.. I would be coming around December/January time.

Kata and Karon are considered by most to be one area. In fact both areas are technically in Karon district. The beaches are about a 7 minute walk apart. Kata/Karon are a bit less built up and less touristy especially once you hit the second road. (Here roads parallel the beach are counted starting from closest to the beach to farthest from it) Still plenty of tour counters and hotels In Kata/Karon. Karon does tend to have more dangerous surf this time of year. The beach is steeper. Personally I like Kata. If it's not to wavy there is a reef in the north end that has nice snorkeling. No other beach on the west coast has that. South end of Kata offers the best surfing in Thailand April through October.

<snip>

Kata and Karon are considered by most to be one area. In fact both areas are technically in Karon district. The beaches are about a 7 minute walk apart.

Kata is considered in the Karon district, so many of the hotel addresses will say Karon, but may actually be in Kata, so take care to check the location map of any hotels you are considering.

To say that the actual beaches (the sand/sea) are a 7 minute walk apart is a bit of a stretch, even from the south end of Karon beach to the north end of Kata beach would take more than 7 minutes. And if your hotel was at the north end of Karon beach then it's a good 20 minute hike to Kata. But to answer the question, it is possible to walk from Karon to Kata beaches so long as you don't mind something like a 30 minute walk from hotel to beach.

Both Karon and Kata beaches have a good sprinkling of beer bars, no worries there.

Kata is very mellow but there are many more rentals in Karon area Taina rd. Close to the beach and stores food etc. December is The Hi season to the Thai's so be prepared to pay a little more.

PM me if you need a rental. I have some info on a few. Good prices.

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<snip>

Kata and Karon are considered by most to be one area. In fact both areas are technically in Karon district. The beaches are about a 7 minute walk apart.

<snip>

To say that the actual beaches (the sand/sea) are a 7 minute walk apart is a bit of a stretch, even from the south end of Karon beach to the north end of Kata beach would take more than 7 minutes.

I wrote "about." If it's more than about 7 minutes then it's not much more. Maybe 10 if your walking slow.

Kata for me. MUCH better beach than Karon, and a better vibe I recon. Plenty of places to stay both places; and also no shortage of beer bars etc.

I hope you can put up with the Russians, 'cas there's loads in both places now; like everywhere else!!

I prefer koh chang these days, but gettin' there is a bit more effort than Phuket.

Kata is very mellow but there are many more rentals in Karon area Taina rd. Close to the beach and stores food etc. December is The Hi season to the Thai's so be prepared to pay a little more.

PM me if you need a rental. I have some info on a few. Good prices.

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thaina Road is in Kata Beach.

I dont know much about the nightlife of those two places as only had the occasional meal there..It does seem as though Karon might have more hotel options.The time of year that you are visiting (high season) both beaches should be good.From the end of Karon beach to the start of Kata I would say would take more than ten minutes walking time.

Have a look at this vid from youtube it will give you some idea of th distance and what road is like between the two.The guy starts from the one end of Karon drives the length of the beach( along the beach road) and stops at the start of Kata..Takes him about 5 minutes.

One more thing if you choose Kata you are also close to another smaller beach called Kata Noi..so you could have a different beach either side of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRosnWqB8UE

Edited by gaztop08

I dont know much about the nightlife of those two places as only had the occasional meal there..It does seem as though Karon might have more hotel options.The time of year that you are visiting (high season) both beaches should be good.From the end of Karon beach to the start of Kata I would say would take more than ten minutes walking time.

Have a look at this vid from youtube it will give you some idea of th distance and what road is like between the two.The guy starts from the one end of Karon drives the length of the beach( along the beach road) and stops at the start of Kata..Takes him about 5 minutes.

One more thing if you choose Kata you are also close to another smaller beach called Kata Noi..so you could have a different beach either side of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRosnWqB8UE

The nothern end of Kata Beach is adjacent to Karon Beach, takes about 2 seconds to walk from one to the other. So it really depends on the location of the hotel, nothern end of Kata Beach hotel is just as far to Kata Noi as the southern Karon hotels.

Thought I should update to close this one off. So I decided on 10 days in Karon and then 4 days in Kata. The only other beaches I need to make a point to get to in Phuket are Freedom beach, Paradise beach, Nai Thon and Nai Harn.