Zimmerman not guilty in Trayvon Martin death: Florida jury

Lite Beer

Zimmerman not guilty in Trayvon Martin death: Florida jury
AFP

SANFORD: A six-woman jury late Saturday found neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman not guilty of murdering unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin, in a racially-charged trial that has transfixed the United States.

"Obviously, we are ecstatic with the results. George Zimmerman was never guilty of anything except protecting himself in self-defense," said his lead attorney Mark O'Mara.

Zimmerman smiled briefly but did not appear emotional as the verdict was read. His family was grinning broadly as they sat behind him in the courtroom.

The family of Trayvon Martin was not present.

Scores of journalists and crowds of demonstrators had gathered outside the courthouse in the dark, awaiting the verdict. Many of the demonstrators were chanting, "no justice, no peace."

Florida Prosecutor Angela Corey argued that the tragic case was a test of Florida's gun laws as well as social boundaries.

"This case has never been about race, nor has it ever been about the right to bear arms," Corey said. "But Trayvon Martin was profiled. There is no doubt that he was profiled to be a criminal. And if race was one of the aspects in George Zimmerman's mind, then we believe that we put out the proof necessary to show that Zimmerman did profile Trayvon Martin.

"But the right to bear arms is a right in which we all believe. I especially believe in that will right. What we want is responsible use when someone feels they have to use a gun to take a life," Corey added, saying: "They have to be responsible in their use, and we believe that this case all along was about boundaries."

The jury had deliberated for more than 16 hours since Friday in the case.

Zimmerman, 29, had been accused of pursuing Martin through a gated community in Sanford, Florida and shooting him during an altercation.

Defense lawyers insisted Zimmerman acted in self-defense after Martin, 17, wrestled him to the ground and started bashing his head into the pavement.

Zimmerman faced possible life in prison if convicted of second-degree murder. The jury was also instructed to consider an alternate charge of manslaughter, which carries up to a 30-year sentence.

"Mr. Zimmerman, I have signed the judgment that confirms the jury's verdict. Your bond will be released. Your GPS monitor will be cut off when you exit the courtroom over here. And you have no further business with the court," Judge Deborah Nelson said shortly after the decision was read.

The February 2012 killing ignited widespread controversy after police initially declined to press charges against Zimmerman.

Community leaders on Friday had called for calm regardless of the eventual verdict.

"If Zimmerman is convicted, there should not be inappropriate celebrations, because a young man lost his life," Reverend Jesse Jackson, a veteran civil rights activist, said.

"If he is not convicted, we should avoid violence because it will only lead to more tragedies."

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/zimmerman-not-guilty-in-trayvon-martin-death-florida-jury-40835.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-07-14

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're probably going to see the biggest race polarization since the Rodney King police beating case. On one side, Fox News has already issued an opinion piece that the trial should never have taken place. On the other side, the NAACP is outraged and wants the Feds to prosecute Zimmerman.

Get the popcorn ready....

• Like 2

Well, the jury had days to hear the evidence, and 16 hours to deliberate. The prosecutors and defense had every opportunity to present all evidence.

We accept the decision of the jury who under the law is called the "finder of fact" meaning "finder of truth."

Yep,

Expect a Civil case against Zimmerman soon. Civil cases only requires a preponderance of proof, not a "beyond all reasonable doubt" of proof.

And yes, the prosecutors did not do an adequate job. That happens sometimes.

PS, i'm not a lawyer. Not even close, so if an expert wants to correct me if i'm wrong, by all means do so.

Thanks.

We're probably going to see the biggest race polarization since the Rodney King police beating case. On one side, Fox News has already issued an opinion piece that the trial should never have taken place. On the other side, the NAACP is outraged and wants the Feds to prosecute Zimmerman.

Way too late as the country has been polarized for years, by design. More so than when I was a child during the pre-civil rights years. Why you ask? I have no idea, you need to as the POTUS.

• Like 1

Way too late as the country has been polarized for years, by design. More so than when I was a child during the pre-civil rights years. Why you ask? I have no idea, you need to as the POTUS.

Clinton was in office when the OJ Simpson verdict was delivered. Most Whites felt he did it, and still do. Are you saying the current POTUS deserves some credit for the racial divide?

I watched 90 % of this trial and the incredible way the defense spun the trial was sickening .Zimmer profiled and killed a 17 year old kid and them told around 40 lies after the event.Goes on tv and says it was "gods plan" . Florida justice has failed a dead person.

"f***ing punks," Zimmerman told the police dispatcher that night. "These a*****s. They always get away."

expecting big repercussions to this.

Yeah, the anti-Christ himself, the root of all present evils inflicting the United States. w00t.gif

The opposition political party has lost five of the last six elections of TPOTUS. (The Supreme Court skewed the 2000 election by ordering the vote count stopped then by appointing themselves the only citizens who got to vote twice for prez.)

The divisions in the country will fade as the old angry white guys continue to die off, to include especially the nutcakes and a few certain wingnuts on the court itself retire or croak in office.

AG Holder is very likely to bring a civil action against Zimmerman which is likely to some small extent mitigate the erroneous verdict of the Florida jury and the incompetent prosecution.

The Stand Your Ground law is a wild west law of shoot first, ask questions later. That's not an a priori self defense. It's more often prima facie murder. How many parents in the US can now be comfortable while their children are out of the house, even to go to the nearby convenience store? Especially if you are black.

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

I guess the crime rate in that neighbourhood will drop significantly. thumbsup.gif

Will Zimmerman resume his armed vigilante duties?

I don't think so somehow, unless he's in WitSec in Iowa or something.

smile.png

I'm curious what he does next. Of course he can now make a fortune on his name but assuming that fortune will be based on his killing a boy, couldn't the Martin family sue him to take that fortune away from him?

I'm also curious is if a man who has killed like this can still legally carry a concealed gun and if he WILL carry one if he can.

Edited by Jingthing

I guess the crime rate in that neighbourhood will drop significantly. thumbsup.gif

Will Zimmerman resume his armed vigilante duties?

I don't think so somehow, unless he's in WitSec in Iowa or something.

smile.png

They don't like Hispanics in white bread Iowa. He might be stalked and killed by some Iowan guy who looks like this:

ea2e0b68f0aed096f8e0dc5a9c3c5171_m.jpg

• Like 1

Common misconception, but crime rates in ALL of the US have dropped DRAMATICALLY over the past several decades.

But in this case, Death and harm by accidents may go up significantly.

Zimmerman was found not guilty because the preponderance of evidence supported his version of events. Trayvon attacked him, broke his nose and injured his head and so he shot him in self defence. If it were not for racial politics, he never would have been charged in the first place.

The NAACP will lose, if they try to charge Zimmerman with violating Trayvon's civil rights.

Zimmerman did nothing to violate Martin's civil rights and every attorney I have heard - on both sides - admits this. There is NO evidence that he was a racist and plenty that he is not.

If Travon's parents try to sue him, when they lose - and they will - they will have to pay all his legal fees as well as their own. That will not be cheap. As Don West said, the percecution prosecution of Zimmerman was a disgrace.

Zimmerman has very good chance at winning a case for malicious prosecution. The prosecution withheld evidence about Trayvon's criminal activities and the defence only found out about it because of a whistle blower who was fired for turning it over.

Sanford, Florida (CNN) -- An employee of the Florida State Attorney's Office who testified that prosecutors withheld evidence from George Zimmerman's defense team has been fired.

Ben Kruidbos had been on paid administrative leave since May 28 from his job as director of information technology for the State Attorney's Office. http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/13/justice/zimmerman-it-firing/index.html

A great article on the FACTS of Zimmerman trial.

Even on the irrelevant question of whether or not Zimmerman “profiled” Martin, the prosecution has struggled, despite enjoying the advantage of getting to leave jurors in the dark about most of Martin’s past. Zimmerman’s monstrous hate crime, it turns out, was that he profiled a juvenile delinquent as a juvenile delinquent. He said that Martin looked like he was on drugs. He was. He said that he was behaving suspiciously. He was. Jurors may hear about the marijuana in his system (the judge has now said that the defense can use a toxicology report), but they won’t hear about his suspension from school at the time, his school’s discovery of stolen goods and a burglary tool in his backpack, and his past fights. http://spectator.org...the-prosecution

So Zimmerman, therefore, can kill Trayvon Martin.

Zimmerman was armed and initiated the events of that night. Martin was unarmed.

After Zimmerman shot Martin, Zimmerman made no attempt to see if he could save Martin's life. Zimmerman ignored the fatally wounded Martin because Zimmerman had done what he set out to do.

Kill.