Insight: Smuggling rice to Thailand - like coals to Newcastle

webfact

. . . the country holds enough stocks to meet half the world's annual trade . . .

This should be an eye opener for some if this is accurate . . .

Annual export import of rice is only 30mn to 40 tons.

and you know that

how?

I meant global trade. Its on orzya.com

Total traded volume is a small percentage of global production.

Lest we forget Thailand was the largest with 9mn tonnes.

Edited by Thai at Heart

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is unclear how he will do that without offering grain at cut-rate prices to exporters or governments, and that may lead to charges of dumping. The United States and others have already sounded warning noises at the World Trade Organisation because of Thailand's lack of transparency on sales and stocks

Thailand's lack of transparency on sales and stocks...never w00t.gif ...this is going to be fun to watch popcorn.gif

Coals to Newcastle? How very seventies. The modern saying is like billionaire criminals to Dubai.

The seventies was the era that produced life as we know it today, Rock n Role, Drugs, street racing, hippies, punks, grate leaders and fantastic con artists, what you youngsters think what you know about life is just a generic version of the actual product.

A post proving how age really does dull the memory!

No one can differentiate between Thai and Cambodian rice can't be right. Everything from here is so superior that surely Thai rice must stand out ?

Surely it's not all just rice at the end.

The lady from Indonesia that does my cooking in Australia, finds the hottest chillis in the world and only buys the best Thai rice. As far as that sort of thing goes Thai rice is hands down the best. Thai bashers gather round, gather round, surely not . . .

'Hub of Rice-Smuggling', perhaps ? rolleyes.gif

To be followed shortly by a Crack-Down ! laugh.png

Just heard on the news the government is in a war against dengue fever so maybe a crack down will go on hold like so many things on the official back burner.

LOS in its effort to be the "HUB" of everything is now the hub of the Dengue fever outbreak in South East Asia this wet season... yet another "hub" feather in the cap for all clap2.gif

No one can differentiate between Thai and Cambodian rice can't be right. Everything from here is so superior that surely Thai rice must stand out ?

Surely it's not all just rice at the end.

The lady from Indonesia that does my cooking in Australia, finds the hottest chillis in the world and only buys the best Thai rice. As far as that sort of thing goes Thai rice is hands down the best. Thai bashers gather round, gather round, surely not . . .

Nice try but fail.

The best Thai rice is Jasmine which is just a small part of the rice production here & is more expensive.

What the Op is talking about - and all the corruption - is ordinary white rice.

FYI farmers are supposed to get B20k for Jasmine & B15k for white.

Whats rice got to do with Newcastle !, we Geordies get the blame

for everything !sad.png

regards Worgeordie

The port of Newcastle in NSW, Australia, is a major exporter of high quality black coal.

But there are no government idiots offering 50% above market rates, before depreciating the offer due to low quality and/or water content.

and you can play count the carriers anchored out waiting to be loaded as you fly over.

No!!! The Thai rice is mouldy and the Cambodian rice will become mouldy at some stage!!

It has a different smell about it.

I was being slightly sarcastic but surely the only rice smell these days is of the rotten variety ?

Sarcasm is not understood in Thailand.

its time for thailand to start to train

RICE SNIFFING DOGS

along with illicit drug sniffing dogs

and human trafficing sniffing dogs

what a nice world this would be

in the western calender year 2556 maybe.... still 500+ years to go

My wife's family farm rice in Surin, I think it is jasmine rice. Last time we went down there they were harvesting and it was the first time I ever ate freshly picked rice. You can really tell the difference, it can be eaten on it's own and still tastes great. We bought a sack back to Chiang Mai and people raved about it.

I'm an Aussie and even we blame the geordies for everything, like -

"Hov corse ham a Geordie man like man, me da used ta drink Broon Ale and me ma uste te werk in Fennnikks man" cheesy.gif

One of the fools in my country who shot his way to head of state in the 80s, decided that subsidizing PMS in Nigeria is the perfect way to make life easy for citizens. After 25 years, the project costs the government about $12 billion with half the sum going to cabals who take payments for products that was never imported on non existent ships.

Every successive government have tried to scrape the subsidy but each the erupts into chaos and everyone downs tools. It always gets reinstated.

Africa's largest oil producer now buys refined crude from tiny carribean nations as refining is not as lucrative as importing the product.

I can see Thailand going the same route with rice. Rich farmers now buying from it's neighbors and selling it to the govt.

With all these revelations of underhanded dealings, in more than one way regarding the rice scheme, I am absolutely amazed that we are not hearing that a major inquiry is to be held, as a matter of urgency to investigate all these fraudulent dealings. Does the Government not think that this reinforces everyone's doubts that Government itself has a hand in these dubious practices. The whole thing smacks of weak and dubious leadership and the opposition should be all over this like a rash asking the appropriate authority to investigate as a matter of urgency.1zgarz5.gif

With all these revelations of underhanded dealings, in more than one way regarding the rice scheme, I am absolutely amazed that we are not hearing that a major inquiry is to be held, as a matter of urgency to investigate all these fraudulent dealings. Does the Government not think that this reinforces everyone's doubts that Government itself has a hand in these dubious practices. The whole thing smacks of weak and dubious leadership and the opposition should be all over this like a rash asking the appropriate authority to investigate as a matter of urgency.1zgarz5.gif

I think there are defamations laws to keep the opposition and non believers at bay and they won't hesitate to use them. Get caught speaking up against them and you could find yourself doing a stretch in the Hilton.

"The equivalent of 750,000 tonnes of milled rice is being smuggled into Thailand a year, mainly from Cambodia and Myanmar, according to estimates of analysts and traders who have studied the illicit shipments."

Rice work if you can get it thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Yes we are the rice hub of Aisa and I vow we will have a crack down on these dishonest traders.

It has a different smell about it.

The whole thing stinks

its time for thailand to start to train

RICE SNIFFING DOGS

along with illicit drug sniffing dogs

and human trafficing sniffing dogs

what a nice world this would be

in the western calender year 2556 maybe.... still 500+ years to go

We have enough dogs thank you very much

Why would a government investigate it's own system to discredit itself? And that doesn't just go for Thailand

Shhhhh! It's like the Thaksin tapes, don't talk about it and maybe it will go away. /sarc