Motorbike rentals on Phangan (yet another thread)

I know there are a number of threads already but they're dated and dealing with slightly other issues than the questions I specifically have...

I'll be on Phangan for a week, and a bike would be handy. The last couple of times I was there I borrowed my friend's Honda Click which, while in good shape, was a bit of a struggle on the rolling hills on the north west. I can't imagine how some of the beat-up rentals are like. If I'm gonna ride around the island I want to do it effortlessly, not giving it 120% throttle to putt putt up a hill at 20 km/h.

I drive a fully manual bike in Bangkok, and love the torque control you can get. Is there any reliable (not scammy mc.scammertons) rental shop in Thong Sala that I can get, say a Honda Sonic or something along those lines? I know the passport drill, but has anyone had any luck with leaving a Thai license?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I cannot answer the sourcing part of the question, but when I go to KPN (I live on Samui) I always leave my driving license BUT......

........ some places won't accept it. I just walk on to the next place. Someone always accepts the DL eventually, and I have never had to walk far.

However, if you find a shop that will rent you the type of bike that you want - you may not have a choice?

I thought maybe a Thai license will kind of be one of those "look I'm not a tourist" cards to pull, at which point they'll be less strict about the passport since a) you can't run away as easily and B) you're probably a damn good driver if you drive in bangkok, so no worries about crashing.

But mostly it's my weapon of choice against other farangs :P

• Like 1

I generally rent a Honda PCX from Katie, which is straight up from the ferry terminal on right side, just past 7-11.

It does the hills without much trouble!...

I use my Thai drivers license, no problem ...thumbsup.gif(200 baht a day, perhaps less by weekly rate.)....

• Like 1

I had the same trouble trying to pull the hills from the full moon party heading to bantai?Those rental step thru's just don't get it.I would say have at least A 150 cc manual trans.Really A 250 cc would do the trick.I know of A rental place near morning star resort in bantai. But last time I was there he had those 110 cc.automatic,they are dogs.

Samuijimmy seems to be savvy about KPG(as a visitor), followed his advice with Katie a few months ago, they accepted my Thai DL but i only rented a HWave.

TY SJ for your tips, also about chaloklum. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Samuijimmy seems to be savvy about KPG(as a visitor), followed his advice with Katie a few months ago, they accepted my Thai DL but i only rented a HWave.

Thank you Longtom! thumbsup.gif

Yes, I do have a few frequent flyer points to KP! ...... I also lived there for nine months... wink.png

Katies, bikes are all fairly new models and I would say well maintained.... On occasion I have had to "downsize" because no 125 cc PCX available ... They have other Honda models, (including Clicks) but I cannot remember the model name(s).... but I've have not problems with the hills! I generally have a passenger too...

It's the places that rent out older "old beater" models that generally give problems with no power facepalm.gif ....personally I think 150 cc is over kill whistling.gif..... There is a shop next to Katie, that has Cowasaki's,..... if the OP wants a bigger bike, it might be worth asking there !! wink.png

Yes, I do have a few frequent flyer points to KP! ...... I also lived there for nine months... wink.png

Katies, bikes are all fairly new models and I would say well maintained.... On occasion I have had to "downsize" because no 125 cc PCX available ... They have other Honda models, (including Clicks) but I cannot remember the model name(s).... but I've have not problems with the hills! I generally have a passenger too...

It's the places that rent out older "old beater" models that generally give problems with no power facepalm.gif ....personally I think 150 cc is over kill whistling.gif..... There is a shop next to Katie, that has Cowasaki's,..... if the OP wants a bigger bike, it might be worth asking there !! wink.png

Specifically 'I do have a few frequent flyer points to KP!' & 'I generally have a passenger too...'.

A girl in every port Jim?

• Like 1

Specifically 'I do have a few frequent flyer points to KP!' & 'I generally have a passenger too...'.

A girl in every port Jim?

Cheeky bugger !!! tongue.pngbiggrin.png Are you enjoying the heat wave in UK, NMSTD? it's warmer than here....w00t.gifwink.png

I would suggest the OP not rent a Cowasaki! biggrin.pngwhistling.gif Great images! wink.png

Man, those cowasakis look SWEET.

I wonder if they accept credit cards now.

:P

Thanks for the advice on Katie's, will definitely check it out.

But another problem... I get in at 8:30 pm. Will they still be open? Think I can call ahead of time and arrange something?

Man, those cowasakis look SWEET.

I wonder if they accept credit cards now.

tongue.png

Thanks for the advice on Katie's, will definitely check it out.

But another problem... I get in at 8:30 pm. Will they still be open? Think I can call ahead of time and arrange something?

Well we all had a laugh over this topic ! wink.png

I don't think they or anyone for that matter would take credit cards....for bike rentals... never heard of it on the islands ! (perhaps the high end hotels would? Cow included...tongue.png )

I may be heading over Thursday or Friday, I will ask what time they close and about the credit card... and also their phone number...

Hold tight! wink.png

Usually they are only short on Bikes during FMP or during January /February.

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

Aw you're awesome! Joking about the credit card, though!

I know there's a FMP the week I'll be there... I'm there on Saturday night, FMP is on Wed I think. Hopefully shouldnt be a problem. Worst case I'll go to the guy my friend on KP would recommend but he's usually the kind of guy to settle for second best, at first-rate prices. Pshft.

Thanks again for the help man!

• Like 1

Cheeky bugger !!! tongue.png:D Are you enjoying the heat wave in UK, NMSTD? it's warmer than here....w00t.gifwink.png

Warm is the word Jim, just warm.

A fairly new 125 with a single driver should do the job for most and if it's manual then an older model should do.

Cheeky bugger !!! tongue.pngbiggrin.png Are you enjoying the heat wave in UK, NMSTD? it's warmer than here....w00t.gifwink.png

Warm is the word Jim, just warm.

A fairly new 125 with a single driver should do the job for most and if it's manual then an older model should do.

"Warm is the word Jim, just warm." ...... Is that a classic British understatement? whistling.gif tongue.png

• Like 1

Due to choppy seas and weather, sad.png I am postponing my trip over, so no detail on phone number, for Katie.... perhaps next week?

But being that the OP is coming around the FMP, it's going to be more difficult to rent a larger bike, as they usually go first!

There are other shops, but not all shops have larger than a Click and also part of the issue is finding shops that won't ripe you off should an accident occur... there was another thread running on that issue... a while back...wink.png

Ah that's a shame... I'm coming tomorrow actually! I'll try and find Katie tomorrow evening... next to the corner 7-11, yeah?

As you walk off the ferry pier (assuming it's the main terminal, not the Songserm one,) just walk across the road, the 7-11 will be on your left.... keep going up that road (there are trees dividing the road on that street)

Katies is on the right side about 50 meters up... there is a bar just after it and the Cowasaki shop just before it .... If you happen to be coming via Songserm walk off and turn right (roundabout there) then walk up to 7-11 (not far) and then turn left!

(Can't remember if it's Songterm or Songserm ferry.... something like that! )

You have well over a week before the FMP .... so my guess you should be OK thumbsup.gif I suspect if ferry coming in the will probably be open! wink.png