Galaxy S4

PST

On the "best" music player - opinions may vary. I don't see nothing wrong with the stock Samsung one and there's probably another one from google on your phone, no?

Maps drain battery faster cuz they activate GPS hardware, which needs juice too. Not really S4 related, using GPS will drain battery faster on ANY phone.

My only guess then is that maps are CPU / GPU demanding app so it will use the battery. Does the phone get warm or hot when using maps?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for that.I don't use GPS,so i have turned it off,but maps is still draining 40% of my battery.

PST.

The problem is that map is constantly reporting your location in the background. What you need to do is go into settings in the Maps app and go in the "Google location settings" and turn off the location reporting. That should help with the app draining your battery.

Sent from my GT-I9500

Go to settings/ developer options and check show CPU usage.

it will show you all the active apps (user and system) and how much they load the CPU. The most demanding will be at the top of the list.

It doesn't explain why the battery drains faster with maps running

Using data drains your battery. With location reporting on, the app is constantly using data to report back to Google.

Maps used to be the app that drained my battery the most. So, from experience, yes, location reporting is somewhat an important factor for Maps draining the battery.

Sent from my GT-I9500

Obvoiusly having data turned on will drain the battery faster.

If I understand OP right, he has battery drainage issues when actually running the Maps app, regardless of the background reporting. So no drainage issues when not running maps? Sure location reporting can be turned off, there's not many benefits for the user having it on, but it doesn't seem to be the issue.

Obvoiusly having data turned on will drain the battery faster.

If I understand OP right, he has battery drainage issues when actually running the Maps app, regardless of the background reporting. So no drainage issues when not running maps? Sure location reporting can be turned off, there's not many benefits for the user having it on, but it doesn't seem to be the issue.

You're right, having the data on does brain your battery, that's a given. What drains it even faster is sending and receiving data constantly in the background.

He didn't state clearly whether he has the Maps running or not. But I assumed that it's the reporting problem simply because all it takes is just to open the app once and it can be running draining the battery like no other.

I use Google maps occasionally as well as Locus and Sygic (more often) I however have GPS turned on as well as A-GPS and reporting and I can't say G maps draining battery faster than the other apps.

I use Google maps occasionally as well as Locus and Sygic (more often) I however have GPS turned on as well as A-GPS and reporting and I can't say G maps draining battery faster than the other apps.

I got you. All I'm saying is that the reporting background can very well be the solution. The first few days I got my S4, maps was usually the app that drained my battery the most (Top 3 most of the time). I did some research from XDA to other Android forums, I must say, it should be the first thing OP should try.

I would just Google "Android top ten music players". then read some reviews, watch some YouTube videos, see which offer the individual features that you might value. I use "Rocket".

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.AnotherMusicPlayer

How do you know "Maps" is using 40% of your battery? Are you relying on the bar chart in Settings, Battery? If so, I believe that may only show a recent, historical usage by app., rather than some current usage.

Full on Maps uses WiFi (location and/or data), 3G (data), GPS, CPU/GPU (app.). If you were just using Maps over the previous charge cycle then a 40% historical reading seems 'normal'.

I would just Google "Android top ten music players". then read some reviews, watch some YouTube videos, see which offer the individual features that you might value. I use "Rocket".

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.AnotherMusicPlayer

How do you know "Maps" is using 40% of your battery? Are you relying on the bar chart in Settings, Battery? If so, I believe that may only show a recent, historical usage by app., rather than some current usage.

Full on Maps uses WiFi (location and/or data), 3G (data), GPS, CPU/GPU (app.). If you were just using Maps over the previous charge cycle then a 40% historical reading seems 'normal'.

Thanks,i am able to play music through the Samsung pre installed music player,what software do I need to search/download music TO my mp3 player?

PST.

you don't need no Kies or any software to download to (or you mean upload into) your phone. It's not iphone, you don't need any software, just connect your phone with provided USB cable to your computer and copy / paste mp3 files into your phone, you can copy whole folders with music or create a folder and upload mp3 files there. When you start your music player, it will automatically find all the music you copied into your phone and will play it.

• Like 1

I'm not certain but it sounds like PST wishes to to find and download MP3s directly on/to the phone from the internet over a data connection, rather than transferring MP3's from a PC to the phone.

There used to be applications which allowed the former - I confess I haven't tried any of these in a while - but these may no longer be available in the Play Store given DRM issues?

If the latter, simply connect the phone to a PC visa a USB cable and the phone should show as a hard drive, then just drag/drop mp3's from the PC to the phone's "Music" folder.

Thanks for this,but I don't have any music on my laptop,the idea is to put all music on my phone,so you are exactly right in thinking that's what I need to do.I guess it's now a question of finding a decent music download app,there are free ones available in google playstore,but not sure how good they are.

PST.

I don't think there is an app for android that can make it easier to download MP3s comparing to what you could do on your comp. Plain old torrent web site with a torrent program will help you. Can't go into details as its not legal.

Any free apps from a Google play will not be good, any good apps will not be free (if there's any).

On a side note, how is it possible that someone doesn't have any music on their computer? Haven't you ever had an MP3 player? One of those iPods or any other brand or generic player?

I don't think there is an app for android that can make it easier to download MP3s comparing to what you could do on your comp. Plain old torrent web site with a torrent program will help you. Can't go into details as its not legal.

Any free apps from a Google play will not be good, any good apps will not be free (if there's any).

On a side note, how is it possible that someone doesn't have any music on their computer? Haven't you ever had an MP3 player? One of those iPods or any other brand or generic player?

how is it possible that someone doesn't have any music on their computer? Haven't you ever had an MP3 player? One of those iPods or any other brand or generic player?

I use cd's,and if its not on cd,i youtube it.

yes,several

yes,several

PST

Well, I just checked, the "Pirate Bay Browser", "aDownloader" and "uTorrent" apps are still on Google play store so they're not illegal by themselves. The first one is, as the name implies, a browser of the (in)famous Pirate Bay torrent site and the later 2 are torrent apps for downloading torrent files, you will only need one of the later two, whichever you like. This should get you started.

As I noted previously, the above can more easily be done from a PC and then just move the music from the PC to your phone via USB cable.

• Like 1