Tony Blair was right to say that politics needs help: Thai opinion

webfact

STREETWISE
Tony Blair was right to say that politics needs help

Achara Deboonme

30210454-01_big.jpg
Blair

BANGKOK: -- Former British prime minister Tony Blair still turns on the charm, even though he doesn't hold any political position. One day, when he was supposed to show up as a panellist on the World Economic Forum on East Asia 2013 in Myanmar, he was late. Yet, nobody seemed to care. In the session themed "Chasing the Next Big Ideas", panellists wanted to hear from him how politicians can help big ideas from individuals and corporations materialise.

As the representative of the "Middle East Quartet" - the body set up in 2012 by the United Nations, European Union, United States and Russia to help mediate Middle East peace talks, Blair recalled the days when he served as the most influential man in the UK.

His first days in Downing Street were full of promise, he admitted. He was full of ideas, only to realise that "the system is really good at stopping things happening".

When other panellists proposed big ideas for the world and looked to him on how politicians can help, he said, "Politicians need help."

He admitted that politicians do not know everything. As such, they need advice from businessmen and researchers, who form part of the intellectual community. Governments as a whole need a willingness to listen to ideas from outside the government, and multiply them. This is governed by the concept of how governments can ensure social health, assemble ideas and execute them. "The gap in people's expectations and what can be delivered is large. The idea is how we can help governments do that?"

His words remind me of what has happened over the past few decades in Thailand. It is no secret why the term "Baan Phitsanulok" was created, following the meetings of economic advisors at the old residence where big economic ideas were shaped.

During the era of the late prime minister General Chatichai Choonhavan, it was his advisors who proposed the Eastern Seaboard concept. When that materialised, it gave Thailand a new economic direction. From a nation that relied heavily on agricultural products, today Thailand's manufacturing sector generates nearly half of the gross domestic product.

But not all governments followed the same path. When Chavalit Yongchaiyudh came to power, there was no thinktank team. Surrounding him were just ministers; some were non-politicians. Still, they were under political pressure.

Years ago, I met a retired government official who was one of over 30 advisors to a prime minister. He said that for months after that prime minister came to power, he never called a meeting with his counselling team.

The concept of being surrounded by outside advisors was fully exercised again during former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's era. He had many advisors like Surapong Suebwonglee, Prommin Lertsuridej and Phumtham Wechayachai. Like the men around Chatichai, they proposed totally new ideas for Thailand's economic direction. Their ideas were big, but the mission was undermined by poor action. So many policies were directed to win short-term political popularity.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has no such team. All the advisors that we know she listens to are appointed to Cabinet posts. Needless to say, they have to play a role politically and their ideas are under influence. We can spare one person - Virabongsa Ramangkura. The former deputy prime minister was not a minister and he is outspoken enough to comment harshly on the government's rice price-pledging scheme. He may not have been around when Yingluck plotted the election campaign. It was too late to comment on that, after the pledging scheme was launched.

What if Yingluck set up an advisory team consisting of people from outside the political arena? Perhaps they would have told her that she could not make shortcuts with projects like the Bt350 billion water-management scheme. Heralded as a project to boost the economy, the scheme - delayed by a court injunction - may now pull down GDP this year. That dents sentiment, given the poorer global economic prospects.

In Myanmar, Blair said one thing worth thinking about: the quality of governments depends on the rule of law. If the laws are clear, all government agencies can proceed within their power without having to wait for the government's endorsement for everything. Without good governance, it is hard for democratic governments to take a root, he said.

It would also help if governments invited foreign experts to help on things that are new to their countries. That was what the young Singaporean government did. Blair did not say that Western governments are role models for emerging governments. "There are good and bad governments. You can learn from us."

Blair is optimistic that today's governments are in a better position, with technological advancements and a more connected world. "Good things are out there in the world today…. Politics needs help. You should go and get involved and help the situation, to eventually move the country the way you want."

He did not say whether frequent protests would hinder or help those changes.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-16

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You always know when Tony is lying as his lips move. He's much loved in the US but why not as he was the best PM of Britain America ever had ?

I think he would fit in nicely in Thai politics providing he survived.

And you feel politics is OK the way it is?

The second worst British Prime Minister since the war........replaced by the worst.

The man is truly delusional.

You agree with a member then.

When I was taking Criminology one of my term papers was on the parole system in Canada. It turned out at one brain storming session made up of people from various positions in life the best ideas came from the business sector.

I whole heartedly agree with him politics needs help how you people can say it is OK is beyond me.

I do not know that much about his personnel life but I do know Bull Crap when I hear it and I sure did not hear it from Blair.

• Like 2

Tony Blair is a failed politician and certainly not the great statesman he tries to project himself as.

Knows a thing or two about buying property though. Oh and there's his all powerful Mrs.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Typical response...blame Blair and not the inept politicians that followed and I include Brown in that statement although I felt a bit sorry for him as he took over right in the middle of thew financial crisis.

The government Britain has now has done a wonderful job of turning it around. cheesy.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif

So apart from him helping the US in their poor judgement attack and invade Iraq which he is rightfully guilty of as his one big stuff up, I take he has the knowledge of what a democracy would look like with its sound law base and relevant economic policies entering into a union ship as these ASEAN countries. I thought he was very polite in telling the ASEAN prospects that they are corrupt and need to uphold law for sound governance for democracy, and to seek help from western governments. All pretty straight forward advise. The example of Myanmar as one with potential to rise from the depths it has been in should not be lost on Thai's as they are showing the potential to go to the bottom of the depths first.

Edited by Roadman

It seems Thailand is a haven for the Tory party. If they are so good why are you not back home enjoying all the good things they are doing now.

You lot idolised Thatcher so let's have a look at her record shall we.

1. Over 5,000,000 unemployed

2. 2 wars

3. Pound devalued

4. Gold reserves diminished

5. Divided society

6. Poll Tax

7. Riots in the streets

8. Whole manufacturing industries destroyed

Impressive or what?

Tony Blair at least tried to create a united society and make things better. Did he make mistakes? Of course he did, and the biggest one was listening to Bush which cost him and many others dearly. However, Britain went through one of it's most prosperous periods under Blair until the world-wide financial crash hit. Oh sorry! he was to blame for that too I suppose.

You guys must be so happy now that you now have that world renowned leader and political genius that is Cameron.

His biggest mistake was believing that removing all regulation on the subacutely services business would produce a more economically beneficial outcome.

It did from the bankers personal perspective. And as for brown....

Typical response...blame Blair and not the inept politicians that followed and I include Brown in that statement although I felt a bit sorry for him as he took over right in the middle of thew financial crisis.

The government Britain has now has done a wonderful job of turning it around. cheesy.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif

Feel sorry for Brown? An inept chancellor who manged to be an even more inept PM.

And how would you propose turning things round given the precarious situation in many countries and the <deleted> situation that the previous regime left?

I'm know fan of the current British government but would have yet to see any credible policies from Labour.

• Like 2

Feel sorry for Brown? An inept chancellor who manged to be an even more inept PM.

And how would you propose turning things round given the precarious situation in many countries and the <deleted> situation that the previous regime left?

I'm know fan of the current British government but would have yet to see any credible policies from Labour.

Brown oversaw the policies that created the mess. He was a catastrophe.

He knew sweet FA about the gold market too.

He knew sweet FA about the gold market too.

Does anyone?