Chiang Mai During Songkran

Niki

I will be arriving in Thailand during Songkran and wanted to go up to Chang Mai immediately. on a travelers site most of the advice I received was NOT to go to Chang Mai for that holiday as it gets really overwhelming - and that you can't escape the water throwing anywhere in the city. I would like to be there for the local holiday but would love any other opinions....

Guest IT Manager

If you are young and outgoing it's the place to be. If you are old and crotchetty, like me, you will hate it. So you choose.

It's wicked fun. Hotel prices skyrocket for the 6 or 7 days involved.

If your sole intention is to experience Songkran, Chiang Mai is a great place to go. If your underlying intention is to visit Chiang Mai itself, I would not recommend visiting during Songkran. The constant water-throwing associated with the festival makes any other activity difficult at best. Should you decide to visit Chiang Mai during Songkran, you'll want to take care of your transportation and accommodation arrangements as soon as possible as most options become fully-booked.

I was in Chiang Mai twice as a tourist during Songkran and have gracefully exited the country during that festival period for each of the seven years I have since lived in Chiang Mai. Two times as a tourist was one time too many for me but I do appreciate that many other people enjoy the festival. :o

Song Kraan in Chiang Mai - it's the only place to be, beware the roads, there are a lot of drunken drivers (well more than usual).

Watch out for the ice in the water too, it can be quite painful.

If you are driving, keep away from the city, it will take you hours to move a hunderd metres.

For a bit of sport, take a tuk tuk tour around the moat - you will get a refreshing shower or two!

Have fun.

Guest IT Manager

Strange as it may seem, foreigners are the worst to be around.

Traditionally it stops at sundown, except for the stinking backpackers. They keep going till all hours, very drunk and without caring what you are doing. Essentially, once was enough, though I have convinced friends to come twicwe so they can take my kids riding in a pickup filled with objects to hold water... lots of it.

They enjoy it. I hate it.

IT

First year in Chiang Mai during Songkran involved l trying to get through town on a motorcycle driven by a Thai friend and it was quite an experience. Like cancer, it is glorious to be able to live through it.

I have never agreed with more posts in a thread than the ones preceeding this one.

I found Pattaya not much better the following year when I fled Chiang Mai. This year it will be "hole up in a well provisoned house". I even refused an invitation to drive to Issan during Songkran as I don't trust anywhere in Thailand that is populated during the "water festival".

Guest IT Manager

We have a beer delivery every afternoon in songkran. Kid turns up soaked and we give him a tip.

We go to the temple to tambun and that's our only visit outside the house. Hope the hotel doesn't have problems during the "festivities". Not sure what I will do.

But if you ask any Thai,They will tell you it is TRADITION,,anything they do that is not nice,thats the answer you will get.

The tradition was to sprinkle water on the elders to show respect,And that is a long way from throwing a bucket of ice and water from a speeding pickup.

Just to get in my 2cents: I still love Songrkan in Chiang Mai. Will be my 10th or so coming up. However it's also the main Thai holiday period where I have some days off, so in an agreement with my girlfriend we celebrate Songkran for a day or two and then go South where they almost seem not to celebrate it at all (aside from one day at April 13th)

I agree that for some reason foreign tourist seem to lose their sense of moderation.. This is why I can't recommend a place like Pattaya to be in for Songkran. Most Thai people SEEM to realize that when they see a blind old guy selling lottery tickets, just MAYBE he wouldn't like getting a bucket of water over him and his merchandise.. Same with young children; sure you can splash them but NOT with the full powered PVC home-made gun straight in their faces.

Anyway by and large it's all merry and fun. To avoid the foreigners just don't go in the Thapae / Loi Kroh area. Or celebrate in other Northern provinces, which are fun too, like Lamphun or Phayao and others.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Watch out for extremely drunk Thai men.

Or extremely drunk Farang men.. Or extremely drunk Farang women.. Or Thai women for that matter. Just watch out, and have fun. ;-)

It is correct though that there is NO escaping it if you don't have a car. So when you had enough, say on the 14th or so, then just leave and go South.

The most common question we seem to hear CM expats asking each other around this time of year is "Where are you going for Songkhran?" It is automatically assumed that we will not stay here.
If you are young and outgoing it's the place to be.

I'm afraid even my teenage children have had enough of CM during Songkhran... They are at school in the UK and prefer to go on school trips over Easter, rather than come home.

We normally close our business and we always either stay home, stock up with books, DVDs and food, lock doors & windows & answer neither door nor phone bell for about ten days. OR we go away, often to Rayong or somewhere else where more sanity prevails..

Our score so far regarding Chiang Mai Songkhrans over the past six years...

Hospitalised: 3 children (out of 4), one twice + father, three times. Most common complaint: ear infections or cuts & bruises from flying ice.

4 staff (out of 10) have been hospitallised in the last two years alone.

In addition, one is now quadraplegic after her neck was broken because she was pulled from the back of a pick-up by a bucket on a rope.

One young lad was killed, hit in the face with a bucket of water containing a 2 Kilo ice block while he was riding to work. He fell off and went under a truck. (The thrower of the "water" was Farang!)

Come if you like but please take major precautions and DO NOT Ride a Motorcycle.

p1p

I think that you better face it. You just have bad luck.

Employees and family killed during both Songran and during Fearless Leader's drug crackdown.

I don't know anyone who has been (more than mildly) injured during either, ever!

This is not a put down. It is more of an observation, but, please stay away from me! :o

I was in CM once for Songkran, I did enjoy it. My friend who was tired of being wet did not enjoy it. This was several years ago on my first trip to Thailand and every thing was a novel experience. May I suggest to avoid wearing a white T-shirt or pants. : )

• 4 weeks later...

Be carefull of open sores or cuts. The water used, especially around downtown Chiang Mai is laden with many exotic germs looking for a host. I was hit in the face with a bucket of Ice water travelling at about 60kmh last year,very painfull and a near death experience . This year I will leave april 1 and return when the rainy season starts.

Experienced Farang

Be carefull of open sores or cuts.

I even fell into the moat once, while cutting open my leg on an underwater concrete ledge.. Still lived to tell the tale. ;-) (Didn't even get infected, just put some Betadine and went on to party the next day..) I get minor injuries almost every year, and a freind of mine managed to fall out of my truck once.. Be careful out there.. ;-) Anyway, no pain, no.. ehh, no pain. I suppose. No fun either. :o

I have a car, and I enjoy cruising down Thapae road once during Songkran...It usually takes at least an hour, but I'm dry, with my aircon on, and I enjoy watching the mayhem outside. Most cars are pretty much invisible- they'd much rather focus on farangs in tuk-tuks...But if you crack your window on your car even an inch, expect a flood :D

You can still go out to some smaller villages and enjoy a more traditional Songkran....But alcohol use is heavy, and they all want the passing foreigners to join their party, and they can be quite pushy sometimes.

And don't forget that areas around Chiang Rai will start the water-tossing sometimes a week, or longer, before the official dates... :o

• 1 year later...
I hear a herd of elephants are lined up with buckets and proceed to drench passers-by. Whereabouts or do they just wonder around and fire at will?

That would be pretty cool to see.I had songkran here last year, but had just had my arm in plaster so I didn't get out much.

I hear a herd of elephants are lined up with buckets and proceed to drench passers-by. Whereabouts or do they just wonder around and fire at will?

That would be pretty cool to see.I had songkran here last year, but had just had my arm in plaster so I didn't get out much.

Was that your firing arm, your drinking arm or both, Chuch'? :o

Was that your firing arm, your drinking arm or both, Chuch'? :D

let's put it this way.

1)I had to keep arm dry

2)Broken bones were caused by too much amber liquid

3)missus was on war path about being responsible etc

4)sometimes...just sometimes I allow myself to be under the thumb when I deserve it :D

other news is that she will be away this year for Songkran. I've already told her that her family are about as much fun as a fart in a space suit.So I hope we will all have a great time in CM,while she who must be obeyed is probably swapping recipies with one of her aunties....

:o

Edited by chuchok

So when you had enough, say on the 14th or so, then just leave and go South.

Just don't expect to be leaving by train or bus. I was in Chiang Mai during Songkran last year, but both the girlfriend and I had more than enough of the "fun" after the first couple of days. Had to get a refund on our train tickets and fly back to Bangkok as all trains and busses were fully booked until well after Songkran.

The one Songkran I spent in Thailand while living there was spent in Bangkok. Not nearly as bad as Chiang Mai. Nevertheless I take great care never to have a holiday coinside with Songkran. I'm definitely in the "I hate it" camp on this.

Sophon

In my experience, Songkran is only a hassle without an enclosed car...

Within one, you're completely protected and given little notice by the water tossers. Last year I just enjoyed inching around the moat watching the fun from inside my portable a/c living room . All you need is patience. I even hooked up my video camera to record all the action around me. :o

Also, about street or tap water on open cuts: they can kill you. I got a deep cut in a motorcycle wreck on Doi Inthanon, and the medics at Maharaj Hospital told me not to get the wound wet. I did, and within a week (back in Houston, Texas) the doctor almost had to hospitalize me. Maybe a minor scratch and tap water, okay - especially if you've lived around CMai for several months. But a visitor, deep cut, and street or moat water - serious infection.

Also, about street or tap water on open cuts: they can kill you.  I got a deep cut in a motorcycle wreck on Doi Inthanon, and the medics at Maharaj Hospital told me not to get the wound wet.  I did, and within a week (back in Houston, Texas) the doctor almost had to hospitalize me.  Maybe a minor scratch and tap water, okay - especially if you've lived around CMai for several months.  But a visitor, deep cut, and street or moat water - serious infection.

Also, about street or tap water on open cuts: they can kill you.  I got a deep cut in a motorcycle wreck on Doi Inthanon, and the medics at Maharaj Hospital told me not to get the wound wet.  I did, and within a week (back in Houston, Texas) the doctor almost had to hospitalize me.  Maybe a minor scratch and tap water, okay - especially if you've lived around CMai for several months.  But a visitor, deep cut, and street or moat water - serious infection.

When I first moved to Chiang Mai I spent 3 days in the hospital on antibiotics with a rapidly growing infection from a minor blister on my foot, good advice peace blondie, avoid the untreated water at all costs if you have any scrapes or cuts.

Any water contact can aid infection, even clean water. Especially during the rainy season with humidity, it's often difficult to keep cuts dry so they can heal. I had a cut on my ankle that took more than a year to heal completly because I was living on a beach on Samui where the humidity and moisture was always around.

If you plan to play in the water, some folks like to buy some good antiseptic eyedrops or eyewash well before Songkran, when supplies always seem to dry up locally.

I'm not planning on rolling my windows down, so no worries here. :o

Was that your firing arm, your drinking arm or both, Chuch'? :D

let's put it this way.

1)I had to keep arm dry

2)Broken bones were caused by too much amber liquid

3)missus was on war path about being responsible etc

4)sometimes...just sometimes I allow myself to be under the thumb when I deserve it :D

other news is that she will be away this year for Songkran. I've already told her that her family are about as much fun as a fart in a space suit.So I hope we will all have a great time in CM,while she who must be obeyed is probably swapping recipies with one of her aunties....

:o

Yes, I have one or two scars as a result of amber nectar consumptions - bouncing down a flight of wooden stairs on my head after loads of White Lighting cider didn't do me much good...but all good fun of course.

Her in doors is off home as well for Songkran - marvellous!