New marina in Pattaya?

captbb

If you stop and think about it, there's no good reason why the speedboats have to be parked, either on land or water, right next to Bali Hai pier. They could just as easily be stored overnight in Na Jomtien or Naklua and make their way to the pier each morning.

They only seem to have a few tractors for all the boats. If they had to bring them all from Na Jomtien or Naklua I dread to think how many tractors would be needed, or how long it would take, or how many road accidents or traffic jams there would be.

Surely the answer is for the speedboats to go to Na Jomtien or wherever under their own power and be brought onshore for the night there?

One of the problems is the speed boats are wood. You can't leave them in the water. So, from what I understand, they will never be left in the marina overnight.

No problem for the boats, the wood is painted with special protective paint. Nowadays also most of the speedboats are plastic fiber coated. They cannot be left on the street which will hopefully be the upscale part of Walking street as the investors of the highrise condo Waterfront claim in their website.

• Like 1

If you stop and think about it, there's no good reason why the speedboats have to be parked, either on land or water, right next to Bali Hai pier. They could just as easily be stored overnight in Na Jomtien or Naklua and make their way to the pier each morning.

They only seem to have a few tractors for all the boats. If they had to bring them all from Na Jomtien or Naklua I dread to think how many tractors would be needed, or how long it would take, or how many road accidents or traffic jams there would be.

Surely the answer is for the speedboats to go to Na Jomtien or wherever under their own power and be brought onshore for the night there?

That's what I just said.

Isn't there a Yacht Club a bit further around the point between Pattaya and Jomtien. It may have a big enough pier or mooring area to put the 50 footer in. Just asking, maybe some TVM may know. I know there is a big yacht club down the coast further past Jomtien.

Isn't there a Yacht Club a bit further around the point between Pattaya and Jomtien. It may have a big enough pier or mooring area to put the 50 footer in. Just asking, maybe some TVM may know. I know there is a big yacht club down the coast further past Jomtien.

The biggest one would be Ocean Marina. I think there might be an area in NaJomtien where there's a housing development with docks outside their houses. But, the entrance is impassable during low tide.

The one around the point is an absolutely lovely yacht club, but no facilities for big boats.

When the first press-releases came out, about this new Marina, it clearly stated that there would be ample accommodation for 'visiting yachts' hence opening-up a new little industry. Nobody anyone has talked to seems to know anything about the purpose of this marina.

One of these days I will meet-up with Pattaya's Mayor (Khun Ittipong) and I will ask him if he knows what the story is. If/When I find out I will post my findings on this forum.

Keep your fingers X-ed.

coffee1.gif

When the first press-releases came out, about this new Marina, it clearly stated that there would be ample accommodation for 'visiting yachts' hence opening-up a new little industry. Nobody anyone has talked to seems to know anything about the purpose of this marina.

One of these days I will meet-up with Pattaya's Mayor (Khun Ittipong) and I will ask him if he knows what the story is. If/When I find out I will post my findings on this forum.

Keep your fingers X-ed.

coffee1.gif

ask him what that eyesore of a carpark is for as well if you get the chance

• 2 weeks later...

Keep your fingers X-ed.

coffee1.gif

ask him what that eyesore of a carpark is for as well if you get the chance

So neither marina nor even the car park open yet? Anyone been there recently?

The marina project has been one of my pet projects to watch over the last few months. First I was scatching me head about what they had in mind putting these hundreds of little floating drydocks along the piers:

post-110915-0-09034100-1385780408_thumb.

A talk to a few of the workers there gave me a little insight:

When the speedboats come in at night, they are full of dried salt from all that spashing and have to be hosed down with fresh water in the inside. If they are pulled out of the water, no problem. They have a plug at the lowest point. Pull the plug, and all the rinse water runs out.

For obvious reasons, you can't do that if the boat is still in the water overnight.

These mini dry docks have two tanks. They are floated with sea water, lowered down. Speedboat goes inside in the center. Then they blow compressed air into the two tanks, speedboat rises above the water. Can be cleaned and worked on and is safe if it should have a little leak.

So far the idea.

Here the catch:

Every floater as I could see has 4 valves, plus there are many other valves for distribution of the large amount of compressed air from the central compressors. At 360 floaters we are looking at more than 1500 air valves. ..... And you want them all to work at all times, NO LEAKS! Same applies to several thousand air pressure hoses (This is Thailand, and we are in a saltwater environment)

A few weeks ago I have done a few pix of the developement after we had a little off shore winds. There was so much swell on the finger piers within the marina, you could get sea sick.

The sea wall (breakwater) simply does not do the intended job .Workers told me it does not reach the bottom of the sea, it consists only of plates attached to the visible pillars. I could clearly see the long swell go right through the breakwater and rock everything inside. Here you can see some of the results:

post-110915-0-47259200-1385781986_thumb.post-110915-0-34014400-1385782058_thumb.post-110915-0-86956700-1385782096_thumb.post-110915-0-96329700-1385782146_thumb.post-110915-0-08096900-1385782178_thumb.

These pics were done when the floaters were in the water for less than 3 weeks, and we had NO storms during that time. (The police boat in the last picture actually sank that very same night) The damage was done in moderate winds and with no boats on the floaters.

All is OK if the sea stays calm, but Imagine what will happen if there is a little storm, like it happens once in a while in Pattaya, and 360 speed boats on the floaters!

Other "OLDIES" in the forum might remember that storm at christmas '92, when several anchored boats smashed into the Marine Bar from the sea side... I think they lost dozends of boats in all that day.

This Marina would be a heap of twisted metal in the same conditions.

In my humble opinion they MUST improve the breakwater A S A P by closing the gap towards the sea bottom, and maybe making it longer. It will be money well spent.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Maybe I do not understand but where is this Marina ? Is it a dry marina where all the tourists cheaters park their boat overnight after having cheated and killed many tourists all day long ?

In front of the new 50 storeys condo that will be the quietest place in the world ?

:-)

Edited by thailandbeachisland

The Marina developement is an absolute shocker, and is already a "white elephant", just as I predicted in November ( post No. 40).

Now there are three gaping holes in the breakwater. Wait for the rainy season, the whole thing will be washed away by the high swell. There are 7 damaged 'floaters' (see my post # 40) tossed on dry land, rotting away even before ever being used.

Now they do not allow access to the floating piers no more, I would have loved to do more pics of their substandard rubbish. There were no workers on site last week.