Possible Chinese Interest in a Business - presenting the business

The wife sells stuff on Facebook, and does reasonably well.

Someone has shown the stuff to the operator of a Chinese mall chain, and apparently they like it, and have asked to "see more".

What would be a good way to make a presentation?? (wont be in person to start with).

PDF some of the FB pages?

Make a brochure?

Whip up a website?

Or an office doc??

Would we need to have info in Chinese?

How much of the back-end should we show them?

Just looking for ideas and thoughts to get started. Anyone?

Do you mean that the company is interested in buying products from your wife (if so why would you be showing them anything other than products to start with?)

Or do you mean the company is interested in buying your wife's company as a whole?

If you're wife already "sells stuff on Facebook, and does reasonably well." then she must have the products listed somewhere on a facebook page? Why not just start out by sending them a link to the page...then maybe they'll want to see some samples...talk about available qualities etc...

If you want to build a new website, or print catalogs/brochures etc...I would say this should be a business decision based on the overall direction that you want to take the business, as opposed to doing it to try and impress a single potential customer.

Edited by dave111223

At this stage, if FB is your shop-window then that should suffice. You could provide a separate web-page if you wanted, but what you do need is some name cards with all your contact information. No you do not need to provide information right now in Chinese. What you should initially request however is a letter of interest from the Chinese company, an expression of interest and that allows you to follow up on who they are. If the main man is in town then take him for lunch/dinner somewhere. At this point do not show back-office or source of products you sell. Too early for stuff like that. All IMHO and tentative...

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. The thing is FB isn't like your standard commerce site - not like the Thai's do it. The latest products go into the shop 'feed', which goes out to all 5000 (might be 10k now?) users who have liked her page. And sales are made through the comments and inbox channels. So really its a bit of a mess to present - . I have asked missus to collate the best sellers over the last year, and plan to put that into some sort of album or brochure. This is something we should probably do anyway.

We have the name cards - done way back when it gathered steam. Unfortunately the copiers out there put the brakes on a bit. I like the letter of interest idea.

The connection 'between us and them' is through a third party, who has been a little vague - "just put something together", but seems like there might be a possibility of putting the products on a display in there stores.

You need to keep the 'know how' - or protect your 'IP'

Don't take them to a supplier etc - or show them too much.

Keep 'key' info to yourself / wife - unless they want to buy the business, but even then only after the check cashes.

• Like 1

As for your question to have the info of the products you are selling in Chinese, I would say yes. China is one of those countries whose language is very powerful, it is almost unimaginable to be selling something to a Chinese person or business, particularly one based in China and not have Chinese language included. However, you still have time to translate everything into Chinese, preferably by using a contact fluent in Chinese or hiring a professional translator. If the Chinese side is already interested now, you can do the translation bit later after you have come to an agreement with them, but I would consider it to be important. If you were based abroad and were selling to the Thai market, Thai language wouldn't be as important, but for the Chinese it is.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

As a Brit, married to Chinese, and operating a number of businesses in China, let me give my thoughts on the OP's questions.

Shopping Malls in China are generally very large attracting a lot of customers, however, the Malls usually have two types of sales outlets. Firstly the Mega stores, and secondly small booths operated by small identities. The latter is a difficult one as no one is allowed to buy and sell directly from them, all incoming purchase payments must go through the Malls cashiers and the Mall usually pay out after every three months BUT before paying the booth operator, they claim back all overheads owed to them. This for a small operator is painful as cash flow is kept to a minimum.

If this interest shown by a Chinese business person is large, then surely Mr. Google would be able to locate your wife's source and they would likely go direct to the supplier instead of going through a third and fourth person.

I personally would be very wary, especially as a middleman appears to be involved. Do not lay out any expenses,supply any samples or release information at this stage, insist on meeting the interested party face to face and keep the middleman away at all cost.

As for advertising or producing documents in Chinese, again I suggest that you do not go to that expense. Surprisingly the use of the English language in doing business in China is very low, for a number of reasons, (1) English standards are poor (2) The Chinese will try to put you at a disadvantage by wishing to communicate in their language even if they are able to speak English. Therefore it is critical that when you meet, and I would suggest on your home turf, as opposed to coming to China, that you use only your neutral interpreter. If you should get this far then PM me as we have an office in Bangkok and our Chinese manager speaks fluent English and Thai as well as his native tongue, he would be very helpful to you.

This offer is to help you and is not a business proposition.

Good luck but tread very carefully in the minefield.

• Like 1

I am reading this with interest as my Thai wife is planning to do something similar / but she will be well protected by the manufacturer of the products who is a friend / thanks for the input by TV members