Daylight Running Lights

Seems to be the year of the running lights. See them everywhere in Chiang Mai. From the factory Benz/BMW/Audi installed version to after market. Have considered replacing the fog lamps in my Civic with them as the fog lamps get no use.

Seems to be the year of the running lights. See them everywhere in Chiang Mai. From the factory Benz/BMW/Audi installed version to after market. Have considered replacing the fog lamps in my Civic with them as the fog lamps get no use.

Fog Lamps are a true Fashion Statement IMO. About as much use as Reversing Lights. Halloween Pumpkins.thumbsup.gif

it is a styling identity from started from Mercedes. you see the car from a distance ahead, in the dark European short days.

the light intensity not enough to add additional visibility for the driver ( at least not in the sunny Thailand ). the low positioned light won't benefit for anything 5 meters away, that is below the line of vision of the driver. you can make a test with conventional flood light if you see anything.

fog light is something else. the yellow beam goes further in the fog and in the rain. same concept though, allow others seeing you.

O.K. Et, but Thailand has dusk and dawn, along with dull days. Yellow Beams better, well thats up to you.WRC Drivers don't think so. I think that here Motorcyclists respond to them in general,and Old Folks do as well. Only used them for 2 weeks but i've noticed a responsethumbsup.gif

Do You find them useful.?.Or just a Fashion Statement.

Mandated in most European countries and Canada, and possibly others. Since the advent of LED lighting they have become fashion. As has been said maybe started here by the Mercedes Cult now on almost every pimped out bling car in as many colours as Joseph's coat. Mostly tacky and serve to attempt to identify identify the car from a distance or to project motorway overtaking hierarchy. Audi seems to have the most artistic ones.

<snip>

the light intensity not enough to add additional visibility for the driver ( at least not in the sunny Thailand ). the low positioned light won't benefit for anything 5 meters away, that is below the line of vision of the driver. you can make a test with conventional flood light if you see anything.

fog light is something else. the yellow beam goes further in the fog and in the rain. same concept though, allow others seeing you.

In my post about the added visibility, I should have added that this not benefits your own visibility, but it makes you more visible towards other drivers.

I think these running lights where only invented just to circumvent the stupid law (is it still in effect here in Thailand ??) that you are not allowed to have your lights turned on during the day

<snip>

In my post about the added visibility, I should have added that this not benefits your own visibility, but it makes you more visible towards other drivers.

I think these running lights where only invented just to circumvent the stupid law (is it still in effect here in Thailand ??) that you are not allowed to have your lights turned on during the day

Bikes are not supposed to run without them.Some idiots run on red headlights.

<snip>

thanks MJCM, that exactly what I meant - makes you more visible towards other drivers !

O.K. Et, but Thailand has dusk and dawn, along with dull days. Yellow Beams better, well thats up to you.WRC Drivers don't think so. I think that here Motorcyclists respond to them in general,and Old Folks do as well. Only used them for 2 weeks but i've noticed a responsethumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

yes, it is for the purpose of allowing others seeing you ( as your 'response' ). sorry if I confused you, not for the purpose of illuminating.

fog light has a slightly different function, no saying it is a replacement of one or other. you don't switch on the fog light in the day though.

Day running lights started in Europe and the US with Volvo many, many years ago.

The drivers in Thailand usually turn on the factory-fitted 'fog lights' along with the headlights regardless of any limited light or visibility. Very few drivers I see using them as a day running light.

Audi has led(!) the field with LED sidelights but most LED lighting seen on cars and pickups in LOS is aftermarket 'styling' lights or bling.

Talking of Audi lighting, here's Audi's latest development that will debut in the A8 in Europe later this year. Unfortunately, US approval of this system is hampered by the fact that the US regulators are apparently still looking for the dip switch somewhere on the floor.

• Like 2

The first time I took notice of them was in the TV series Transporter:The Series.

<snip>

First time I took notice of them it was in the Knight rider series and they where also moving whistling.gif

wai.gif

• Like 2

Easy enough to have them wired into the parking lamps with a separate circuit and relay without buying anything else new or removing your fog lights..

It seems to be a Thai tradition to tur on lights as late as possible and in bad weather the behavior is absurd, verging on dangerous.

some drive with no lights at all and others have got it into their head that turning on hazards is a good idea.

It must be fairly obvious to anyone driving at dusk that motorcycles with their lights on suddenly become mnore conspicuous.....so if cars were to follow suit they would too.

there is no reason why lights shouldn't be used in daylight and plenty of reasons why they should.....the human eye being the main one.

however certain colors give out the wrong message.

Red is either emergency, back-light or bright red brakes.

Orange hazards mean just that and the should never be used when the vehicle is in motion.

So the conclusion must be that anything that keeps car lights on for longer must in the long run be a good thing.

• Like 1

These running lights are very noticable on the highway and as you approach other vehicles from behind they definately catch the drivers eye in his mirrors and i have found that 90% will move over from their favored middle lane for you to pass. Without these lights i used to be constantly stacked up behind Thai drivers who are usually completely unaware that you are behind them.

as I said ... "or to project motorway overtaking hierarchy". Which in my case was tongue-in cheek.

I assume you know that here, like the US, passing on the inside is legal. So if the car in front is in the way, SUV's with bling are supposed to swerve to the inside, pass, roar down the inside lane passing two 18-wheelers and then veer back across to the outside lane.

• Like 1

Daytime running lights originate from the Scandinavian countries. Research there has shown it improves safety for cars. The same research has been bluntly applied to other European countries, even though the traffic situation there is completely different.

And now the same logic is coming here as well. IMO this is a very dangerous development especially for the motorbikes, who will be far less visible.

Best run a wire to the Ignition,then you dont have to switch anything.I found they are priced from 1K to 3500 fitted.coffee1.gif

My local car shop has them from 750bt crap to well over 8.000bt Buddha knows what they do that make's them that expensive.
  • Like 1

Daytime running lights originate from the Scandinavian countries. Research there has shown it improves safety for cars. The same research has been bluntly applied to other European countries, even though the traffic situation there is completely different.

And now the same logic is coming here as well. IMO this is a very dangerous development especially for the motorbikes, who will be far less visible.

Perhaps its just me,but it doesnt make sencethumbsup.gif

• Like 1

What doesn't make sense? More visible cars leads inevitably to less visible motorbikes.

Perhaps its just me,but it doesnt make sencethumbsup.gif width=25 alt=thumbsup.gif>

What doesn't make sense? More visible cars leads inevitably to less visible motorbikes.

According to the European Agenda for Motorcycle Safety: "Some motorcycling advocacy groups are concerned over the potential for reduced motorcycle conspicuity with the introduction of headlamp-based DRLs on cars and other dual-track vehicles, since it means motorcycles are no longer the only vehicles displaying headlamps during the day."

According to the European Agenda for Motorcycle Safety: "Some motorcycling advocacy groups are concerned over the potential for reduced motorcycle conspicuity with the introduction of headlamp-based DRLs on cars and other dual-track vehicles, since it means motorcycles are no longer the only vehicles displaying headlamps during the day."

Here it is worse because all motorcycles display headlamps during the day.

So the average driver here will assume that a single headlight is not only a lowly motorbike, to be ignored, but is only travelling at 60-70 kph. So having time to pull out they are surprised by a large motorcycle doing 120+!

If not they get hit by one and wonder why.

I'm visiting from Bikes in Thailandsmile.png

Edited by VocalNeal

Ah thats it, a Commity Finding No Wonder. A BikeHeadlight looks nothing like a LED Strip ,unless you have a Lemming Brain .Perhaps someone should point out to these Dim Wits, Leds ain't Daylight Spot Lights { Old Volvo Style}, Headlights , Foglights,or Streetlights,the latter they most likely overlooked.Seem that the Bikers here approve anyway.thumbsup.gif

Now that makes even less sencecheesy.gif

Perhaps its just me,but it doesnt make sencethumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif width=25 alt=thumbsup.gif>

Now that makes even less sencecheesy.gif width=32 alt=cheesy.gif>

I would not want to make sence. Sense though it does make.

Best run a wire to the Ignition,then you dont have to switch anything.I found they are priced from 1K to 3500 fitted.coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

Still need their own relay and fuse unless you have an orphan fuse you can use in the OE fuse block which is how I'd wire it up.