Shipping personal effects

ByblosYuNaiSoi

Hi,

I am looking at shipping some personal stuff to Thailand, where I"m relocating on a retirement visa - mostly big clothes, books/media, and beloved kitchen items (non electric). All in all, prob. 300 lbs/ 150 kg, and less than 35 cub. feet. I can wait for ocean freight, and am considering Siam International. Does anybody have experience with them, and is Thai Customs for such a shipment really difficult?

Any advice will be appreciated, and also where else to post this question on this or other sites (I'm new...biggrin.png )

best, Paul

Hi, thanks a lot. But my concern is having to pay duty costs on used goods - what should I expect? Also, what kind of problem do the handling agents cause?

as long as you list all the items thats in every box customs are not the problem,its the handling agents at the docks you have to worry about.

Hi, thanks a lot. But my concern is having to pay duty costs on used goods - what should I expect? Also, what kind of problem do the handling agents cause?

as long as you list all the items thats in every box customs are not the problem,its the handling agents at the docks you have to worry about.

if its used goods customs are not interested,its the handling agents at the docks this end will scam you or for a better word try and get as much off you as they can,pretending they are working to custom rules.

just one example and there are loads in this forum,my wf.after 20yrs.in the uk.shipped 3cubic mtrs.of second hand goods and personel items she had collected,nothing new but the agents told her a pack of lies that made her so mad in the end she got away with paying 12,000bht.

i do know that a lot of goods shipped over are dumped in the docks[or thats where they were suposed to end up].by people refuseing to pay.extortion money.

if you look the this forum you will see a lot of unhappy stories and just a few happy ones.