Editorial: Another Problem for BELEAGUERED Thai Rice

webfact

EDITORIAL
Another Problem for BELEAGUERED Thai Rice

The Nation

Concern about pesticide contamination need to be dealt with immediately to restore consumer confidence

BANGKOK: -- Rice is the staple food in this country. Each Thai is estimated to consume 163 kilograms of rice a year. So it has been shocking for consumers to learn that, in random tests, several samples of packaged rice were found to be tainted with high levels of methyl bromide, which is used to kill rice-eating bugs. The tests were carried out by the Foundation for Consumers.

Traces of methyl bromide were found in 34 of 46 random samples of packaged rice sold under 36 brand names. The tests found 12 samples free of contamination, according to Saree Ongsomwang, secretary-general for the foundation.

The methyl bromide in one sample exceeded the safe level, with 67.4 milligrams per kilogram. The Food and Agriculture Organisation codex states that methyl bromide in food should not exceed 50 milligrams per kilogram.

The findings are different from those of three state agencies. The Medical Sciences Department recently teamed up with the Food and Drug Administration to conduct tests on 54 samples of packaged rice, and found only tiny traces of methyl bromide and no sign of any other pesticides. Separately, the Agriculture Department tested 10 brands of rice and found no contamination.

Methyl bromide is a poisonous gas or liquid used in fumigant to kill a wide spectrum of pests, including soil-borne fungi, worms, weeds, insects, mites and rodents. It was used extensively as a pesticide until being phased out by most countries in the early 2000s. In the United States methyl bromide is regulated as a hazardous substance. European Union member governments agreed to phase out its use by 2005.

A growing body of evidence has indicated that methyl bromide can cause damage both to human health and the environment. It is a recognised ozone-depleting chemical. Recent studies have linked methyl bromide to an increased risk of cancer and motor neurone disease, according to the UK-based Centre for Agricultural Bioscience International, a not-for-profit development-and-information organisation.

Most consumers would certainly have been unaware that such a hazardous substance has been widely used on their daily food staple. The government and the relevant state agencies should take immediate actions to rectify this situation and thus assure the public that Thai rice is safe to eat. Regular tests need to be conducted on rice sold in this country, particularly the packaged rice that's popular among consumers.

Occasional tests conducted following bad news about rice are insufficient to restore consumer confidence. Rice must be sufficiently safe for both the domestic and export markets. This staple food of all Thais should be free from hazardous substances, or it could become a major threat to people's health. The more that people eat rice contaminated with harmful residues, the more long-term health risks they are exposed to.

Unlike many food items, it is not compulsory for packaged rice to bear the FDA's safety label. This needs to change, and consumers will demand that it becomes compulsory if their fears are not alleviated. Every pack of rice in the market must be subject to the FDA's stringent rules to get a safety label. This will help to not only restore consumer confidence in Thai rice, but also save taxpayers money on medical treatment for those who fall ill from consuming tainted rice.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-18

As a side note Methyl Bromide is also fantastically good at destroying stratospheric ozone,

After 2005 all signatories (artical 5 countries - all 197 UN council countries) to the Montreal Protocol should have phased out the use of (production and import of) methyl bromide, unless it was for critical use. Is this critical use i wonder?

By 2015 Thailand needs to be using zero Methyl Bromide

http://ozone.unep.org/new_site/en/Treaties/treaty_text.php?treatyID=2&secID=37

As a side note Methyl Bromide is also fantastically good at destroying stratospheric ozone,

After 2005 all signatories (artical 5 countries - all 197 UN council countries) to the Montreal Protocol should have phased out the use of (production and import of) methyl bromide, unless it was for critical use. Is this critical use i wonder?

By 2015 Thailand needs to be using zero Methyl Bromide

http://ozone.unep.org/new_site/en/Treaties/treaty_text.php?treatyID=2&secID=37

It is still widely used for various fumigations such as wooden shipping crates etc.

"Traces of methyl bromide were found in 34 of 46 random samples of packaged rice sold under 36 brand names. The tests found 12 samples free of contamination..."

So, in the interest of public safety and consumer awareness, why aren't the 12 "safe" brands identified?

Also...congratulations to the Foundation for Consumers. You got the math right...46-34=12thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif . That is only a big deal in kindergarten or when it is accomplished by a Thai governmental agency.

• Like 1

"Traces of methyl bromide were found in 34 of 46 random samples of packaged rice sold under 36 brand names. The tests found 12 samples free of contamination..."

So, in the interest of public safety and consumer awareness, why aren't the 12 "safe" brands identified?

Also...congratulations to the Foundation for Consumers. You got the math right...46-34=12thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif . That is only a big deal in kindergarten or when it is accomplished by a Thai governmental agency.

In the consumer group tests, none were found completely free.

Can you imagine a country with such a huge agribusiness not being held to any official testing standards for its domestic business?

Lie, lie and lie some more, then get caught, then act. What to eat? Veg? Meat? Packaged foods?

No public test results on ANY of it. Good knows what this country is ingesting. And CP sues for defamation? This is abhorrent.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

I will believe the Foundation for Consumers findings over the three state agencies any day.

Anything coming from a state agency or an agency related to the Govt is more than likely more tainted than the rice stored in the warehouses for years

Anyone know where i can get some imported Vietnam rice?

• Like 2

I will believe the Foundation for Consumers findings over the three state agencies any day.

Anything coming from a state agency or an agency related to the Govt is more than likely more tainted than the rice stored in the warehouses for years

You can guarantee that this cover up has been going on for years. Disgusting, and they want to keep foreign companies out of agriculture in Thailand. Obviously the domestic vultures have been knowingly poisoning the population for years.

• Like 2

Yes it's in the Thai warehouses labelled product of Thailand.

Oh you mean the legally imported rice ?

• Like 1

So it has been shocking for consumers to learn that, in random tests, several samples of packaged rice were found to be tainted with high levels of methyl bromide, which is used to kill rice-eating bugs.

Hmmmm....nice...what's next I wonder? whistling.gif

the-can-of-worms-has-been-opened_fb_1063

Anyone know why "rice" is exempt from requiring the FDA stamp?

Because we trust our domestic companies to know what they are doing. What a joke. This must have been going on for years, known to thousands of people.

And they wonder why isaan has so much reported liver cancer. The country may have been slowly poisoning it's own people.

• Like 1

A pound of rice a day?

That sounds huge

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My wifey is Filipina, reckon Philippinoes would eat more.

All foodcourts have signs, "Eat all the rice you want".

A pound of rice a day?

That sounds huge

Seems about right. amazing how much of that stuff they put away. I'm always amazed that somebody will get a few pieces of pork on a stick and three bags of sticky rice.

A pound of rice a day?

That sounds huge

Seems about right. amazing how much of that stuff they put away. I'm always amazed that somebody will get a few pieces of pork on a stick and three bags of sticky rice.

A pound of rice a day?

That sounds huge

A pound of rice a day?

That sounds huge

Yes. It's on sale in Thailand labelled 'Produce of Thailand' apparently.

• Like 1

Yes it's in the Thai warehouses labelled product of Thailand.

Oh you mean the legally imported rice ?

I should have checked. You got there before me.

500 gram of rice per day per person?

poison ?

governement scammers say : no worry, no problem

any independant agency : WARNING !!!! more than safe dose

but eating a safe dose (less than 50 mg per kg) is safe ????????? cancer, hello

Edited by belg