Rolling Stone labeled a 'total disgrace' for decision to make the Boston bombing suspect its cover

webfact

Nationwide Boycott:

Rolling Stone labeled a 'total disgrace' for decision to make the Boston bombing suspect its cover as CVS pulls magazine from stores and terror hero condemns the iconic publication
Rolling Stone magazine has issued a strong defense of their controversial cover
The August issue of the magazine features Boston bombing suspect Tsarnaev
Mayor of Boston, Thomas Menino has called the decision a 'total disgrace'
CVS has announced it will be boycotting the edition of the magazine
The magazine's social media sites have been inundated with angry comments from people who claim the cover 'glamorizes' him

By DAVID MCCORMACK and JAMES NYE

BOSTON: -- Rolling Stone magazine is facing an outcry of nationwide proportions over its controversial decision to put Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on its front cover.

Describing the iconic magazine's latest issue a 'total disgrace' Boston Mayor Thomas Menino said that if the magazine had wanted to choose anyone for its iconic cover, it should have been the survivors or the first responders.

Indeed, MBTA Transit Officer Richard 'Dic' Donahue, who almost died when the Tsarnaev brothers allegedly shot him in a firefight days after the marathon attacks said, 'I cannot and do not condone the cover of the magazine'

'Why are we glorifying a guy who created mayhem in the city of Boston?' Retorted Menino, before adding that he would be letting publisher Jann Wenner know exactly what he thinks of the decision by the respected monthly magazine.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2367366/Rolling-Stone-cover-boycotted-CVS-labelled-total-disgrace-Boston-Mayor-Thomas-Menino.html

-- Daily Mail 2013-07-18

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure Hitler was on the covers of Time and Newsweek during WWII. Or Pol Pot. Or Saddam Hussein. Or Gadaffi.

Can't quite understand what the fuss is about.

It's astounding that anyone should be clueless about this epic error by Rolling Stone zine.

We don't even know if the guy can sing at weddings, or at least play the piano at his high school Christmas pageant. Or write songs, poetry.

We do know he makes bombs and sets out after human beings to kill or maim them, cause chaos at a world class event in a world class city.

Rolling Stone isn't Time magazine either.

If RS had any brains they'd straight out apologize instead of standing by this horrendous decision that they themselves initiated. So now I have learned that Rolling Stone zine hasn't any brains, sensibilities, sensitivities. All they see is the guy as a sexpot with no named girlfriends and a sweet guy by the accounts of the buddies they chose to interview.

Nothing about the horrors he committed and his self-satisfaction at what he did.

• Like 2

Rolling Stone Responds to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Cover Backlash
By Anthony Castellano

Rolling Stone magazine has responded to the controversy it ignited by putting Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on the cover of its August issue, stating that the decision to feature Tsarnaev is in line with the magazine’s “long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of important political and cultural issues.”

“Our hearts go out to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, and our thoughts are always with them and their families,” the magazine’s editors said in a statement. “The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone’s long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day.

“The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens.”

The magazine is drawing harsh criticism that it glorifies the alleged bomber, and two retailers have decided not to stock the issue.

Full story: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/07/rolling-stone-cover-of-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-ignites-online-firestorm/

-- ABC news 2013-07-18

There problem is timing. Had they put him on the cover right after the bombing, it might have drawn less ire. Either that or they need to wait a few years, when the pain is less fresh.

Rolling Stone Responds to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Cover Backlash

By Anthony Castellano

Rolling Stone magazine has responded to the controversy it ignited by putting Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on the cover of its August issue, stating that the decision to feature Tsarnaev is in line with the magazine’s “long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of important political and cultural issues.”

“Our hearts go out to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, and our thoughts are always with them and their families,” the magazine’s editors said in a statement. “The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone’s long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day.

“The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens.”

The magazine is drawing harsh criticism that it glorifies the alleged bomber, and two retailers have decided not to stock the issue.

Full story: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/07/rolling-stone-cover-of-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-ignites-online-firestorm/

-- ABC news 2013-07-18

It's just a shameless tactic to boost sales by a magazine that must be feeling irrelevant these days.

Apparently the article inside the magazine was worth reading and not glorifying at all. A shame that political correctness and fear of stimulating controversy are dumbing down the general public.

There is an important message overlooked right there on the cover: Evil does not always come with an ugly face. A stark contrast of appearance and actions. No silly mustache, no fancy uniform, no crazy hair.

• Like 2

I am an american and this doesn't bother me one bit. It actually annoys me how many americans get so uptight about everything. I don't know anything about the article but perhaps there is a good story to be had. But this could just be a big publicity stunt. Either way many other magazines post people who do horrific things like Hitler being on the cover of Life.

Did you know that Rolling Stones put Charles Manson on the cover a long time ago?

• Like 1

The strapline reads 'How a popular promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical islam and became a monster'. I can't see how that's glorifying him. Not read the article but it could well be sensible advice for other young people.

For non-Brits, the article on the article is from the Daily Mail, renowned for its panic and hysteria. :)

They had Charles Manson on a cover. blink.png

Not good but smart if they want to sell issues and stir up dialog (about the bombing AND issues)

If they stir up copy cats, then they will pay big time, and so will the American public.sad.png

Hang on folks Mandella was a terrorist in the 60's and his face was on many magazines

can i say that or will i be taken out for that

Truth is not always the best way

No that images was stupid and wrong but we are pandering to Islam at the moment cos they own 45% of UK stocks and own most of the UK docs will Saudi does.

No one can say anything about Islam in the UK now as you WILL be branded as a Racist

God Bless the UK or is Alla oho Akaba

Below the cover picture it tells you what the article is about.

People get their panties in a twist over just about anything.rolleyes.gif

I get that, but one also has to realize that dipshit bomber probably is pretty proud to be on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine. This glorifies him and Rolling Stone could have done same article without glorifying him with a cover photo glamour shot.

This also sends a message to all creatan losers out there that feel insignificant looking for ways to feel significant. Perform a heinous act killing women and children and get your face on the cover of Rolling Stone.

Publisher of Rolling Stone, Jann Weiner, and Obama have very close ties. Seems like Obama would have picked up phone, called Jann said not a good idea right now, please retract.

I dunno what's right or wrong any more. I just feel a bit icky about this and other things going on. Anyone else in US feel a bit icky now and feel like US has lost sight of US values and American pride.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 2

All they see is the guy as a sexpot with no named girlfriends and a sweet guy by the accounts of the buddies they chose to interview.

Nothing about the horrors he committed and his self-satisfaction at what he did.

Do you base that on the article? Doubt it, because that comment is in direct contradiction of the facts as far as I know.

Rolling Stone isn't Time but they have done some solid investigative journalism in their day. It's my understanding they have done so on this instance.

I get that, but one also has to realize that dipshit bomber probably is pretty proud to be on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine. This glorifies him and Rolling Stone could have done same article without glorifying him with a cover photo glamour shot.

I totally fail to understand how this glorifies him. Who exactly are you concerned about that will view this as glorification? I certainly don't.

The main problem is that they purposely used a glamour shot to make him look like a movie star. Rolling Stone was trying to provoke controversy.

The first part I am very much inclined to agree with. And I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the latter were true as well.

I have no problem with them writing the article and indeed it may be an important bit of work. An article of that import deserves a cover. But why does he have to look like some Indie rocker - the romantic image is of a youthful rebel...

Not sure this guy can take all the credit so easily...

An RT News Report:

http://youtu.be/mm_Xm-262Cg

http://www.examiner.com/article/rt-boston-bombing-a-false-flag

Here were some earlier less-official ones that I have come across:
http://www.globalresearch.ca/contractors-at-boston-marathon-stood-near-bomb-left-before-detonation/5332069
and
http://imgur.com/a/Nx8EU