Free True Wifi Promotion for True Online Customers

TallGuyJohninBKK

Just noticed, True Online is offering a promotion right now for its home internet DSL and cable customers -- 30 hours per month of free True Wifi service.

I had been paying 100b extra per month for unlimited True Wifi that I hardly ever used outside of home, but just sort of kept as a cushion prior to the arrival of 2100 Mhz 3G service. So 30 hours per month of True Wifi now, on top of my mobile 3G, is more than enough for me, and I don't mind saving the extra 100b per month.

The link for the promotion on the True Online website is located here:

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/about/cms-static-page-about-us/entry/967

To register, click the big blue button underneath the image of the woman on the page. You'll need your DSL phone number or Cable account number, and your passport number.

I'm sure the Wifi promotion is available for new True Online subscribers. But it's also available to existing True Online customers as well.

• Like 2

It's in Thai. Even when I change the lanugage at the top, the bulk of the info is in only Thai.

Click on the blue button and whilst it's still in Thai it also asks for the details in English, not sure what happens after that though.

Registering for this is not rocket science, even in mostly Thai language.

Click the big blue button...then enter in two pieces of info in the two boxes:

1- your DLS phone number or True cable modem number

2- your passport number you have on record with True Online

Then click the OK button, and you'll be prompted to enter a User ID, password, email address, etc etc... to set up your service/account.

You don't need to read or understand Thai language in order to accomplish this.

• Like 1

Nice to know .. Typical Thai, No service to existing customers! Thai business operates like business did 40 years ago in Canada ... Anyway the reason I'm commenting isn't this but rather to share a range limit fact when you are with true 3g vrs AIS. I know you can receive AIS 3g in Cambodia visa run border towns and I know you can't find true 20 minutes outside of a major city or connecting routes between the cities. There is also the band width issue with True (in the Khao San road, Bangkok area) some days , peak usage times, you can't open emails due to no band width while AIS 3g apparently is less popular in this area of Bangkok meaning there is more Bandwidth available. We are now in the process of switching to AIS everything for a less used service (more band width) and a broader availability range.

Yes.. that's true... You have to keep your eyes open with True, because in my experience, they never seem to communicate anything once you're already subscribed...

Their prices go down, their plans change, they offer some promotion -- zero email, zero SMS... nothing... You'll never hear about it from them, in all likelihood.

Have to keep an eye on their websites..and if you get them...on their monthly paper billing statements. But the website is better.

Then click the OK button, and you'll be prompted to enter a User ID, password, email address, etc etc... to set up your service/account.

Relatively painless registration process. Now all I've got to do is find an access point.

Thanks to the OP for letting us know about this.

I just finished the registration but I was stumbling over the first entry required. John mentioned above to either enter your DSL number or cable modem number. OK, I have True cable internet and I assumed John maybe meant the serial number of the modem since cable don't use DSL/a phone line number per say....and my modem's serial number is 14 digits long and the field for the first entry only allowed 10 digits.

So with Google Translate now turned-on when entering the registration process, the directions for entry of the first number shows some 10 digit examples such as 02xxxxxxxx, NFxxxxxxxx, 88xxxxxxxx, 91xxxxxxxx, but none of those numbers reflected anywhere on my modem or in the modem setup menus. However on my monthly bill I get there was one number in the middle portion of the bill on the right hand side that began with 91 and was 10 digits long. I used that and continued on with entry of the other registration data asked for and the registration went fine with the OTP showing up to my cell number, setting up my 30 Free Wifi Hours User ID and Password, etc. Cool.

Excellent tip from the OP and so refreshing to read a TV thread that isn't full of posts from whinging expats. I had no trouble registering for the free service once I remembered that I registered for DSL with a different passport than my current one. I use True for cable TV, landline and internet and I am very pleased with their service. They also have well trained English speaking operators answering customer service calls. My only minor gripe is that they don't seem to inform existing customers about new promotions or offers as a few posters have already commented. TV service subscribers may not know but you can get some incentives by agreeing to receive the subscriber TV schedule magazine electronically rather than printed copy sent through the mail. I found that out by accident but got me a few months of free access to subscription channels

Edited by kruangfaifar

The True Online service number they're looking for isn't a device serial number, but more like your kind of account number for True Cable Internet.

For cable internet customers, it usually begins something like 91000XXXXX, at least here in Bangkok.

It's the number they usually want from you anytime you contact them about a service problem. And I believe it's one of the numbers listed on your monthly billing statement.

For DSL, it's easier. It's just the local phone number your DSL is coming over.

PS - for True cable internet customers, they're always asking for that same number. So I've written it down on a sticky note and keep it posted near my computer and cable modem for ease of access.

And I just double-checked... that 91000.... number isn't listed or printed anywhere on my True cable modem.

But it is listed on your True Online monthly bill, just above the text section where is lists the MB speed for your account.

The item reads:

"Service Number Internet Service 91000XXXXX"

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

True does do a lot of cross promotions, where they're trying to leverage their various services together in bundles.

For example, right now, they have a package for I think 699 a month that includes a cable TV service package, a 12 MB internet package and I think their cable-based telephone calling service.

But the 12 MB internet plan is slower than the 14 Mb cable plan I'm paying 699b per month for now. The cable calling service includes some free calling, but only to other True numbers, and to other numbers it was something like 3b per minute, which is very high, and the cable package was mostly their junky channels. So I didn't bite.

But it's always good to keep an eye out for lesser tie-ins... They often have discount packages for customers who have both True Move mobile service and Internet or Cable TV, where having one gets you a discount on the other.

That is... if you can decipher True's increasingly Adobe Flash-based, Thai only web content, where often no English pages are provided and the Flash content can't be Google Translated.

True does do a lot of cross promotions, where they're trying to leverage their various services together in bundles.

For example, right now, they have a package for I think 699 a month that includes a cable TV service package, a 12 MB internet package and I think their cable-based telephone calling service.

But the 12 MB internet plan is slower than the 14 Mb cable plan I'm paying 699b per month for now. The cable calling service includes some free calling, but only to other True numbers, and to other numbers it was something like 3b per minute, which is very high, and the cable package was mostly their junky channels. So I didn't bite.

But it's always good to keep an eye out for lesser tie-ins... They often have discount packages for customers who have both True Move mobile service and Internet or Cable TV, where having one gets you a discount on the other.

That is... if you can decipher True's increasingly Adobe Flash-based, Thai only web content, where often no English pages are provided and the Flash content can't be Google Translated.

true websites contain no almost no flash, they are all static images

Stand corrected... My point was... image files that can't be copied or translated into any other language than the Thai in the image.

Although, Google Drive or Translate now supposedly has a feature to recognize and translate the text within photos... maybe I need to give that a try...

The True Online service number they're looking for isn't a device serial number, but more like your kind of account number for True Cable Internet.

For cable internet customers, it usually begins something like 91000XXXXX, at least here in Bangkok.

It's the number they usually want from you anytime you contact them about a service problem. And I believe it's one of the numbers listed on your monthly billing statement.

For DSL, it's easier. It's just the local phone number your DSL is coming over.

PS - for True cable internet customers, they're always asking for that same number. So I've written it down on a sticky note and keep it posted near my computer and cable modem for ease of access.

And I just double-checked... that 91000.... number isn't listed or printed anywhere on my True cable modem.

But it is listed on your True Online monthly bill, just above the text section where is lists the MB speed for your account.

The item reads:

"Service Number Internet Service 91000XXXXX"

Your TrueOnline bill must come in English; mine comes in Thai. Maybe that's because it's registered under my Thai wife name or we just never asked for the bill to come in Thai like how you can ask your cell service provider to provide their SMSs in English. Maybe I'll give True a call to see about changing it to English since I'm the one paying the bill. When I asked the wife what the words(s) before my 91xxxxxxxx number on the bill means she just keep saying "like a number." A.k.a., the Thai-English miscommunications that happens everyday...and which is many times the "core" cause behind problems us expats experience--we all need to learn Thai!!!! tongue.png

Edit: Just got off the phone with True: bill changed from Thai to English....next bill will be in English.

Edited by Pib

Edit: Just got off the phone with True: bill changed from Thai to English....next bill will be in English.

Yes, True Online and TrueVisions certainly will provide your monthly bills in English, upon request.

I can't remember about True Move.... been too long since I dumped them.

Yes, True Online and TrueVisions certainly will provide your monthly bills in English, upon request.

I can't remember about True Move.... been too long since I dumped them.

My TrueVisions already bill comes in English I think...or at least a lot of stuff is in English unlike my TrueOnline bill. When I first got here years ago I was with TrueMove for the first 6 months--I dumped them also...they just couldn't seem to get a bill to find my mailbox even though TrueVisions and TrueOnline have never had a problem getting the bill to my mailbox. After dumping TrueMove I switched to DTAC and been with them ever since with no problems (knock on wood--my head).

Edit: I just got off the phone with TrueVisions...although a lot of the bill already reflects English unlike the TrueOnline bill I requested the bill language be changed from Thai to English...they said can do...no problem...next bill will be in English language.

Edited by Pib

Stand corrected... My point was... image files that can't be copied or translated into any other language than the Thai in the image.

Although, Google Drive or Translate now supposedly has a feature to recognize and translate the text within photos... maybe I need to give that a try...

Hmm... I may have been partly wrong about that...

Google Drive lately does allow you to search for English language words that show up in image files saved on your G drive. So, for instance, I could type the words "True Online" in my Google Drive search box and it would pop up the .jpg file I saved for the Wifi promo page.

But it doesn't appear to allow the translation of Thai words shown in an image file. And Google Translate doesn't seem to do anything for image files either.

The Google Translate app for Android does have some ability to snap a photo and then translate text shown in that photo. But it appears NOT to work when the starting language is Thai. I get the message, "Camera input is not supported for the selected input language" when selecting Thai.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

First of all, it would be nice if TRUE web masters/designers understand that it is a bad practice to use images for text, since it can't be translated in normal way. Text on the web pages should be inputed in HTML as text. That will make it easy for online translation services.

Secondly, as far as I recall, there is a app called Goggles that is used to search for images and also works as a barcode/QR code scanner. Maybe a similar technology could be used to recognise (and translate) the text on the web.

I just tried it, and it says may passport number is wrong. I then logged into my ADSL-account and checked the PP number there, and it was correct.

Thai technology at its best. I assume I must to go to their shop and try to get some of their stuff to do it for me. Probably too much hassle.

Thanks again to OP for telling us about this- a nice bonus that I would of course have had no idea about from True.

Just signed up in 5 minutes with no problem. Will be useful for maps and stuff when outside on my cheapo wifi phone.

Great post!

PS there's a find hotspots page on the True website. In Thai, but has locations on Google maps, so you can find them.

Edited by partington

Thanks again to OP for telling us about this- a nice bonus that I would of course have had no idea about from True.

Just signed up in 5 minutes with no problem. Will be useful for maps and stuff when outside on my cheapo wifi phone.

Great post!

PS there's a find hotspots page on the True website. In Thai, but has locations on Google maps, so you can find them.

http://www.truewifi.net/wifi/findhotspot

• 3 weeks later...

Your TrueOnline bill must come in English; mine comes in Thai. Maybe that's because it's registered under my Thai wife name or we just never asked for the bill to come in Thai like how you can ask your cell service provider to provide their SMSs in English. Maybe I'll give True a call to see about changing it to English since I'm the one paying the bill. When I asked the wife what the words(s) before my 91xxxxxxxx number on the bill means she just keep saying "like a number." A.k.a., the Thai-English miscommunications that happens everyday...and which is many times the "core" cause behind problems us expats experience--we all need to learn Thai!!!! tongue.png

My TrueVisions already bill comes in English I think...or at least a lot of stuff is in English unlike my TrueOnline bill. When I first got here years ago I was with TrueMove for the first 6 months--I dumped them also...they just couldn't seem to get a bill to find my mailbox even though TrueVisions and TrueOnline have never had a problem getting the bill to my mailbox. After dumping TrueMove I switched to DTAC and been with them ever since with no problems (knock on wood--my head).

Edit: I just got off the phone with TrueVisions...although a lot of the bill already reflects English unlike the TrueOnline bill I requested the bill language be changed from Thai to English...they said can do...no problem...next bill will be in English language.

OK, update: both my TrueOnline and TrueVisions monthly bills showed up over the last few days....both now in English.

However, using the TrueWifi in my daily travels hasn't been very useful due to weak or no signals where I do most of my day to day travels; DTAC 3G working just fine for me regardless of where I travel (excluding the MIL's house in the jungle where I can only get EDGE speed).