Alcohol sales banned July 22-23

Rimmer

Alcohol sales banned July 22-23

PATTAYA:--Back-to-back Buddhist holidays this week mean two dry days in Pattaya as bars, restaurants and entertainment venues are barred from selling alcohol.

Asalaha Bucha Day, Monday, July 22, and Khao Pansaa, or “Buddhist Lent,” Tuesday, July 23, traditionally have been days when bars were requested to close. However, in 2009 the Prime Minister’s Office issued a no alcohol edict, banning the sale of alcohol on important religious holidays.

The Notification of the Office of the Prime Minister RE: Determination of Days of Prohibition of Alcoholic Beverage Sales (No. 2) B.E. 2552 (A.D. 2009), signed by then Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, specifically prohibits the sale of alcohol on Makha Bucha Day, Visakha Bucha Day, Asalaha Bucha Day and Buddhist Lent holidays.

Full story:http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/alcohol-sales-banned-july-22-23-28508

pattayamaillogo.png

-- Pattaya Mail 2013-07-19 footer_n.gif

re

two dry days

two days .. hmmmmmm

i think ive got enough to get through smile.png

dave2

You cleaned that part of the house well b4 the photo laugh.png

You sure that is enough for 2 whole days? Breakfast, lunch, dinner and then evening too tongue.png

This is good news! It falls into the picture that TAT work on showing that the majority of tourists come here to visit temples, admire scenery, watch the wildlife, etc, etc, etc.

I do however feel sorry for the 'average' tourist in this case, as the wildlife will be slightly pacified for a couple of days..............wink.png

On a serious note, I wonder if TAT recognize 'word of mouth' as a deterrent to tourist figures as much as a positive action?

And yes, I know it is a governmental decision, but you would think TAT would put up the argument.

This is good news! It falls into the picture that TAT work on showing that the majority of tourists come here to visit temples, admire scenery, watch the wildlife, etc, etc, etc.

I do however feel sorry for the 'average' tourist in this case, as the wildlife will be slightly pacified for a couple of days..............wink.png

On a serious note, I wonder if TAT recognize 'word of mouth' as a deterrent to tourist figures as much as a positive action?

And yes, I know it is a governmental decision, but you would think TAT would put up the argument.

The final nail in the coffin ?

Pattaya is doomed ?

I've lived in Pattaya since 1990, Farangs were saying the same things then, these were the pre FoodLand days, pre Pattaya Mail days, big C and Lotus, never heard of them,

Pattaya has come on leaps and bounds since 1990, although, I personally think it was better then in some ways, not so much traffic, much better attitude generally and a lot less Farangs who live here full time complaining about everything that doesn't suit them.

We had a mass influx of Farangs in 1997 and just after, due to the exchange rates, when I came here it Was average 25 to USD and 40 to UKP, now of course these guys do nothing but complain about the exchange rates, and blame Thailand, like the worlds financial markets are wrong, and they should adjust the Baht to suit a pensioner in Pattaya........

Yet year after year, there are more and more tourists, Billions of Baht has been spent by world class hotel chains, the Thai investers have invested Billions of Baht in projects, but I'm sure a bunch of disgruntled Farangs on ThaiVisa know better than they do.

That's why you're in a fan room in Soi Buakhow , and they're in their mansions. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Pattaya is doomed ?

I've lived in Pattaya since 1990, Farangs were saying the same things then, these were the pre FoodLand days, pre Pattaya Mail days, big C and Lotus, never heard of them,

Pattaya has come on leaps and bounds since 1990, although, I personally think it was better then in some ways, not so much traffic, much better attitude generally and a lot less Farangs who live here full time complaining about everything that doesn't suit them.

We had a mass influx of Farangs in 1997 and just after, due to the exchange rates, when I came here it Was average 25 to USD and 40 to UKP, now of course these guys do nothing but complain about the exchange rates, and blame Thailand, like the worlds financial markets are wrong, and they should adjust the Baht to suit a pensioner in Pattaya........

Yet year after year, there are more and more tourists, Billions of Baht has been spent by world class hotel chains, the Thai investers have invested Billions of Baht in projects, but I'm sure a bunch of disgruntled Farangs on ThaiVisa know better than they do.

That's why you're in a fan room in Soi Buakhow , and they're in their mansions. rolleyes.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

I remember it well, I had an apartment there from about 1990 - 1999, but only lived there full time from 97-99.

As I am sure you will remember, there wasn't all the bar closing days then that we are seeing now. When someone came on holiday, they could pretty much do what they wanted, whenever they wanted. People on holiday want to enjoy themselves.

Now-a-days you see someone coming on holiday with the possibility of their holiday being changed because of religious holidays, pre-election and election weekends and any other day they decide would be good to be dry.

Pattaya will always survive, I have no doubt about that. It is the stories going back to the homelands by disgruntled visitors that I was referring to.

Next please ......

We all know that booze is always and everywhere available for the non-aliens.

TOT's statement is crap; the (non-verified) 25 million aliens visiting Thailand yearly for blah.blah.blah stand in stark contrast with edited figures of 8.6 million tourists to Switzerland leaving a hefty USD 17.56 billion or THB 60'000/visitor behind. Vienna's Schönbrunn alone saw 2.8 mio visitors leaving THB 586/visitor while the 17'900 daily visitors to the Eiffel Tower pay THB 360/pax for their "quickie".

All those visitors eat and drink and developed countries have no "non alcohol" days. This is with mosques, synagogues, temples and churches alike and no such funnies like "no booze" days to preach the sinning of wine- and beer loving among tourists.

As a restaurant operator I remember the season 2007-2008 where five weekends were dry for various governmental, communal as well as by- and post-elections and three weekends our friends of the cloth were at it. Eight out of 26 is quite a dry high season, don't you think so?

And in our case some 97% of our esteemed customer base is ...... non-Thai and non-Buddhist. While we don't pour nice wines into coke bottles or coffee cups we consequently just cook the books to ensure that the financial impact on our business ends on the tax officers desk of these governmental inferiority complex-laden law makers!

It's Thailand losing out but then again, it is their country and we all are aliens in their interpretation!

Pattaya is doomed ?

That's why you're in a fan room in Soi Buakhow , and they're in their mansions. rolleyes.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

I remember it well, I had an apartment there from about 1990 - 1999, but only lived there full time from 97-99.

As I am sure you will remember, there wasn't all the bar closing days then that we are seeing now. When someone came on holiday, they could pretty much do what they wanted, whenever they wanted. People on holiday want to enjoy themselves.

Now-a-days you see someone coming on holiday with the possibility of their holiday being changed because of religious holidays, pre-election and election weekends and any other day they decide would be good to be dry.

Pattaya will always survive, I have no doubt about that. It is the stories going back to the homelands by disgruntled visitors that I was referring to.

Nice Post.

Personally i am not bothered at all by the ban, however have to say its rather silly only because those who want to drink-will drink and tourists are not here to pray.

Perhaps a wise choice would be to allow certain tourists zone to remain open or grant special license for tourist place to remain open

• Like 1

Personally i am not bothered at all by the ban, however have to say its rather silly only because those who want to drink-will drink and tourists are not here to pray.

Perhaps a wise choice would be to allow certain tourists zone to remain open or grant special license for tourist place to remain open

I think you will find that hotels can still serve alcohol residents.

jb1

jb1

Yes we can, but hotel bars do not have dj's and naked girlsthumbsup.gif

jb1

Yes we can, but hotel bars do not have dj's and naked girlsthumbsup.gif

Amen to that.

Here in Chiang Mai, as soon as there is a dry day everyone starts going mad ! Ohh what are we going to do?? Blah blah blah ! 555

Blah blah Farang Boy

Have you any liquor

Yes Sir, yes Sir, in my fridge'r

One for the Master

And one for the Dame

And one for the little girl who lives down the lane.

Edited by personchester

Here in Chiang Mai, as soon as there is a dry day everyone starts going mad ! Ohh what are we going to do?? Blah blah blah ! 555

Blah blah Farang Boy

Have you any liquor

Yes Sir, yes Sir, in my fridge'r

One for the Master

And one for the Dame

And one for the little girl who lives down the lane.

Here in Cambodia the next weekend will be dry because of elections. The reason being that the government wants to avoid any "trouble". I work in a 5-star hotel in Siem Reap and my guests are 100% foreigners. Most of them probably don't even know that there are elections, and those that do could care less.

I think I will just try and continue serving booze......