leaving thailand

Will start a new topic on this because it is a bit different.

Has anyone come across this before or have they had customs attempt to charge duty on a camera, laptop or anything else that has been taken out of the country then been brought back again.

Or even a personal item like a camera that has been brought for your own use?

DEPARTING FROM THAILAND

Expensive Items Intended for Re-Importation

If you are departing Thailand with expensive items e.g. cameras, video cameras, laptop computers, tape recorders, etc. and you are intended to bring them back in Thailand, you may register these items- as long as they have serial numbers or other unique, permanent, marking items- to Customs at the departure airport after checking in and receiving a boarding pass. The Customs officials will record the exportation of such personal items intending for re-importation. All items registered will be allowed duty free entry when you return to Thailand.

I've done the same and never had a problem or been questioned.

I think it just applies to Thai citizens and there are not many farangs who have a Thai passport.

My wife has three passports including a Thai one and we have never been stopped in 14 years and around 300 movements through

immigration/border control. That includes crossing in a light aircraft a lot of times.

I've done the same and never had a problem or been questioned.

I think it just applies to Thai citizens and there are not many farangs who have a Thai passport.

My wife has three passports including a Thai one and we have never been stopped in 14 years and around 300 movements through

immigration/border control. That includes crossing in a light aircraft a lot of times.

Mr. Seven (Sata) - crossing in light plane intrigues me - I though airspace here was strictly controlled...

Theoretically I guess customs in any country can stop you on entry and charge duty for camera, laptops whatever but as there must be several hundred thousand pass through BKK every day the queue to pay the duty would be half way to Chang Mai and would bring the airport to a total standstill so it's unlikely to happen. I do always carry invoices for all my electronic stuff when I travel however just in case. The invoice would be sufficient proof that the item was bought in Thailand and would normally give the serial number.