World's Best City Award presented to Bangkok governor in New York

webfact

It is a great city....but...how many of those tourist pictured at the grand palace had to weave their way through the "closed today but I take you to special jewelry sale" scams that have been going on for DECADES right in front of the Grand Palace and have about a zillion online posts where tourist after tourist tells the same scam over and over along with pictures of the scammers....it would literally take about one hour for authorities to observe and arrest the scammers but they have not, do not, and apparently will not take action.

I am somewhat amazed that scamming right in front of the grand palace is not seen as being highly disrespectful but for some reason...money to the right people....it is allowed to go on day after day. No doubt you can go there today and it is STILL going on.

Yeah I wonder which one is worse, going to the grand palace to get overcharged by a greedy government that thinks it's OK to charge different prices for foreigners "because they have money" or being scammed into spending a ton of money on worthless stones by some idiots who claim the grand palace is closed and whom the government does nothing about to stop scamming the tourists. I guess as long as no one gets hurt, but only money is spent even if it's done in an unethical way, then it's "good for tourism".

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No big deal in my book.

the city got an award and it's inhabitants have a right to smile.

I love Bangkok and miss it. I really miss being in the center of the city and the weather there. The pollution not so much though.

I havent traveled enough to label it the world's best, but it ranks high with me (except a couple at tye immigration office .. on their rag 24/7)

PaullyW has his sumation on BKK spot on I would say. Sea air is far better for my chest condition. If Singapore was cheaper then that would be my place to settle. He is perfectly fair in what he says about the Capital. Thanks

Excellent shopping, restaurants, infrastructure (subway/skytrain), airport, CBD, it's all there and much of it is very good quality.

Infrastructure ? You would have to be kidding or you don't get out beyond the obvious Mrt/ Bts network. Even one of the Bangkok town planners was quoted as saying that Bangkok will only get worse with its infrastructure in the future. To much bad planning and corruption at government level dating back to the 60's has made its make felt and irreversable.

I think it should be made mandatory that respondents to such surveys are only those that've actually visited the city they vote. Posted Image

And certified as sane?

Damn, I'm automatically disqualified then. :(

The stench of sewerage wafting through the air.

The baking heat for most of the year, torrential downpours that flood the streets due to poor drainage systems for the rest.

Poor infrastructure and taxi drivers that don't know where to go, illegally refuse to use meters while having removed the seatbelts from their taxis for good measure. Challenge them and get a samarui sword to the head.

A populace with such repressed anger and emotional retardation that any sort of perceived criticism or slight is likely to end up in severe violence with weapons.

What's the worst city in the World?

• Like 1

Pavements that can break an ankle, zebra crossings that nobody will stop at. The list is really endless, and I'm sure has been well covered already.

Although I'm sure that those who need to believe such utter nonsense will go on regardless, bless their little apologetic Thai socks.

• Like 2

And why do you think it is not?

It is far and away NOT the best city in the world. Claims that it is, are written by Thais for the brainwashing and edification of idiots. coffee1.gif

So you're saying Thais started the Travel & Leisure magazine. Made up the competition incognito, held the awards in New York, awarded themselves 1st place and then sent mayor over to collect the prize? And they did this all for the edification of idiots? And exactly which planet do you come from?

Travel + Leisure is a travel magazine based in New York City, New York. Published 12 times a year, it has 4.8 million readers, according to its corporate media kit. It is put out by American Express Publishing Corporation, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of American Express Company led by President and CEO Ed Kelly.

The magazine specializes in leisure travel and often features articles written by novelists, poets, artists, designers and non-travel journalists. It is known for its travel photography and covers featuring models lounging in upscale environments.

So only 2% of the US populace read it. Assuming that only those possessing a passport read the rag that means 20% of US passport holders. It's content is provided by dreamers for dreamers. As far as I'm concerned it has all the gravitas of a Thai soap. Maybe handing over brown envelopes passed through the mind of the corespondent using the nom de plume of John Landy.

P.S. Who in their right mind travels halfway round the World to go shopping? The same dickheads who bankrupt themselves by travelling to the Caribbean to get married on a beach? Where do they go to get a divorce?

"Where do they go to get a divorce?"

Another tourist city, Las Vegas

It is hardly surprising that it won given that it had won it in the previous three years, a couple of which included parts of it being a "life fire zone" and underwater.

Makes you wonder what sort of event could possibly topple it off the top of the list.

• Like 1

It is hardly surprising that it won given that it had won it in the previous three years, a couple of which included parts of it being a "life fire zone" and underwater.

Makes you wonder what sort of event could possibly topple it off the top of the list.

I think the government should ban news like this for being deliberately misleading.

:D

And the airport under seige for two months.

Amazing Thailand. There's nothing fishy about this award at all. :D

biggrin.png

And the airport under seige for two months.

Amazing Thailand. There's nothing fishy about this award at all. biggrin.png

To be fair, I am not sure if it won it that year as it was quite a while ago now.

edit: just chacked and Florence won in 2006 but Bangkok did win best city in Asia.

Edited by Orac

The baking heat for most of the year, torrential downpours that flood the streets due to poor drainage systems for the rest.

Poor infrastructure and taxi drivers that don't know where to go, illegally refuse to use meters while having removed the seatbelts from their taxis for good measure. Challenge them and get a samarui sword to the head.

A populace with such repressed anger and emotional retardation that any sort of perceived criticism or slight is likely to end up in severe violence with weapons.

There are worse cities in the world.

Talking about Asia, Jakarta and Manila come into mind. Any other city worse than Bangkok?

As other contributors have pointed out this magazine survey was conducted with the high end tourist market - but I agree that from their viewpoint Bangkok is one of the best cities - especially for hotels.

I have stayed in 5/6 star hotels on the river, Sathon/Silom and Sukhumvit and a couple of these would have to be in the best 10 in the world -rooms, service, location, food, ambiance and price. Try this for service. On one occasion I was to meet my Thai GF at one of these hotels one evening but my flight was late and the expressway jammed so I called the executive floor reception (my GF was waiting there) and asked if they could let her into the room and I would check in and present credit card etc later. They did this happily - try doing this in most other cities!!

Now for the other side of the city life. My GF and I rent a remodelled terrace house only a couple of MRT stations from Sukhumvit so its convenient and only 25 minutes by taxi to/from both airports. But best of all is this is not an affluent area by any means, and most nights we join a group in the Soi, for eating and drinking at a very cheap 'restaurant" on the side of the road. There is only one other English speaker but in spite of my very poor Thai we all get along well, and they are a very friendly group. So that side of the city - far removed from magazine surveys - shows to me what an enjoyable place this is.

There are so many good affordable restaurants in Sois in the Sukhumvit area which we frequent . I like my music live (Thai bands) and there are many bars where this can be experienced - and not expensive either.

I have lived in Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur - very different cities from Bangkok but enjoyable too. I still think Bangkok is the best. Sure there is bad traffic (Jakarta and Manila worse), broken footpaths, bad characters, floods etc but like everywhere just avoid the bad and live with the good.

• Like 1

Best for what!

1) Traffic congestion

2) Smelly drains

3) Broken over crowded foot paths

4) Noise

5) Rubbish

6) Filthy almost non existing Public Toilets,

I have no doubt that there are other benefits that can be added to this list.

It's obvious that most of the posters here have no clue about Travel and Leisure magazine and their readers who voted in this poll. The magazine is directed at the top end traveler who is filthy rich and wants to stay in the best hotels and rides around in private limos. Bangkok DOES have some of the best hotels in the world to include the Oriental which has been selected worlds best hotel many times.

A poll of T & L readers more likely reflects their opinions of a lifestyle that is available in Bangkok IF YOU ARE FILTHY RICH and you are here for a few days of pampering in the best spas, dining in the best restaurants, and being catered to by the staff of a place like the Oriental.

Obviously this is a lifestyle that a lot of the posters here do NOT LIVE.

Sure the filthy rich could go to Paris or NYC etc but Bangkok likely offers them a more "exotic" experience as they gaze out from an Oriental hotel Mercedes and then fly off first class on Singapore Airlines to their next adventure.

For the average person Bangkok is a very different place and the Oriental Hotel experience is something that is foreign to the typical tourist or resident.

Having said that...I love the exotic crazy nature of Bangkok where you are never quite sure what you'll see or experience around the next corner...compared with perhaps "better" cities which are orderly, clean, sterile and you pretty much always KNOW what you will see around the next corner.

I like Bangkok in short spasms. The night life is great if you like bars and cheap temporary female company or a myriad of temples, but after a few days i have to get the hell out of the noisey untidy rundown joint, and back to my home on Koh Samui to collect my sanity..................and check my bank balance. rolleyes.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

I like how there's almost no public rubbish bins, so I have to carry my rubbish until I see one 20 minutes later.

I know, stupid farang, why not just throw on the street/broken ankle-snapping pavement? :rolleyes: Stoopid farang :rolleyes:

There really are so many things that Thais can't be taught, eh.

I bet I know why people liked Bangkok so much and it has nothing in common or to do with the reasons they like Istanbul or Florence.

1. Hospitality and particularly the hospitality of of the pay for play female scene and 2. Money going far

That's it really.

But, now I have to put up with Thais thinking Bangkok is world class city. coffee1.gif

"now" you have to put up with Thais thinking this? It's the 4th consecutive year - has it impacted your life in any way shape or form for the past three years? If you haven't got anything nice to say (especially about your hosts) then saying nothing is favourite

Agreed on that one. If they can't say anything nice about our host country, why are these people here? I think we all understand the many things that Thai admin could do better, but all of the moaners are still "here" OK, "here" but in Pattaya, not Bangkok.

Edited by murrayoverseas

Talking about Asia, Jakarta and Manila come into mind. Any other city worse than Bangkok?

HCMC, Ha Noi, Phnom Penh, Vientiane,.....

HCMC, Ha Noi, Phnom Penh, Vientiane,.....