Visa on arrival

Does anybody know how man visa on arrival stamps you can have before having to get a visa.

I like going away for the weekend once a month so I am not bothered about getting a new visa. But

a friend of mine mentioned that there was a rule saying you could only do this 3 times, and then you have to get

a visa or not come back for 6 months. Is this true?

No that is not true and you seem to be talking about visa exempt entry rather than visa on arrival. A few years ago there was a 90 day rule that nobody know how to count and that was removed. After about four visa exempt entries you may have to explain is you are working illegally perhaps and specific entry points can place limits (but this is seldom done).

It use to be true but always changes; back in 2008: Shortly after the military coup of 2006, back to back tourist visas were disallowed and a "90 out of 180 days rule" was imposed. Never mind this rule because that was discontinued in 2008 by the democratically elected administration. You can now get back to back tourist visas and stay in Thailand a long time without any problems, or just get visas on arrival -- the so called "border runs" or "visa runs" whereby you can take a bus to go step over a border and back.

That rule had nothing to do with tourist visas - it was only applicable to visa exempt entry and when land entry changed to 15 days from the previous 30 days it was rescinded.

Ok so the 15 days by land and 30 days by air in unlimited quantities still applies?

Several friends that do the run have noted they now get their entry stamps numbered again - just as it was back when 3 back-to-back. I can see no reason for this other than limiting the number of waiver entries.

//EDIT: This is related to walkover with no visa - not flights

Edited by wolf5370

Yep. I have a problem at border immigration just after 4 months. they started to question why I am doing visa run to cambodia now.

Go get a tourist visa.

Vientiane issues two entry visas that give you almost six months by doing 30 day extensions of each 60 day entry. Just a visa run to Vientiane then one border run to start 2nd entry.