Pheu Thai, red shirts play down 'people's bill'

webfact

POLITICS
Pheu Thai, reds play down 'people's bill'

Political Desk
The Nation

MP Worachai's amnesty draft finds more favour with ruling party, UDD protest leaders

BANGKOK: -- The Pheu Thai Party and the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD, or red shirts) will fully back an amnesty bill proposed by party MP Wora-chai Hema which was forwarded in April as the first bill on Parliament's agenda when the House reconvenes on August 1.

However, the government has other significant bills that it must pass - the fiscal-2014 budget bill and the Bt2-trillion loan bill. And these two are expected to be debated by the House before the amnesty bill.

Some Pheu Thai MPs tried to push the amnesty bill to the top of the agenda, to help the red shirts and their leaders detained on criminal charges related to political conflicts from the coup in 2006 to the political rallies in 2010. This includes former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who has long wanted to return home a free man.

A major sponsor of the amnesty bill, Worachai said earlier that the draft law should be put forward for deliberation on August 7, but many party seniors wanted the Budget Bill to be heard first.

However, the move to push for speedy passage of Worachai's bill met with a small hiccup.

Payao Akahad, mother of Kamolked, or "Nurse Kate" - a paramedic killed during the crackdown - and Punsak Srithep, father of 17-year-old Samapun, who was killed in crossfire, last week submitted a different proposal. Known as the people's amnesty bill, it was presented to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra via her deputy Phongthep Thepkanjana.

UDD core leaders like Thida Thawornset have reservations about the people's amnesty bill, as they believe supporting this would delay the passing of an amnesty by at least a year. That would mean they cannot help get a speedy release of red shirts and others jailed as a result of the 2010 riots.

Thida was sceptical about "the people's bill". While it clearly states that the military would not be granted a pardon, writers of the bill seemed to be biased against the red shirts and those accused of setting the country on fire, she said. "We want all those in jail to be released since they have been jailed more than three years now. Some of them were pressed with trumped-up charges or were duped to sign their names.''

For Korkaew Pikulthong, who wears two hats as a Pheu Thai MP and a UDD leader, said he backed Worachai's version, as it would help bring about national reconciliation. He said the UDD leaders had earlier proposed an emergency decree for amnesty but the government feared an anti-government group may bring them to court if they took that route.

Some red-shirt leaders have said the government's refusal to issue an emergency decree to pass an amnesty shows it has been insincere about wanting to help get those in jail released. Other "independent" red-shirt groups such as one led by Suda Rangkupan, a Chulalongkorn University lecturer, supported Worachai's version, saying the government should not waste more time. "We have 30 political victims jailed and two have died. We must quickly get them out,'' she said.

Chart Thai Pattana party-list MP Thanonsorn Lertritsirikul said his party would toe the line on what the ruling party thinks is best.

While other junior coalition parties have adopted a wait-and-see attitude, the Opposition Democrat Party has voiced its support for the people's amnesty bill, proposed by relatives of the victims of the 2010 crackdown, provided the government withdraws all other amnesty bills proposed to the Parliament.

It is unlikely that the people's amnesty bill will cause a delay in Worachai's amnesty bill, said a Chart Thai Pattana Party leader, who asked not to be named. He believed that the Yingluck government would expedite the legislative process to pass the bill.

The government may try to appease the victims of the violence by incorporating the people's bill into the Worachai bill.

"Pheu Thai and red shirts are united about what they want so they may just tell people who proposed the people's amnesty bill that they will take their version into consideration. However, the bill can be altered during deliberation,'' the politician said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-22

Why is an amnesty needed if the charges were trumped up and 'political'. Surely an appeal should have been made at the time and protesters released, just the same as happens with cop killers, rapists and their murderers. If there was no basis for jailing these people, I would have thought it would have come to light by now.

• Like 2

I wonder if the penny will drop now. The people who died thought that they were fighting for democracy, they were really fighting for Thaksins money and 'face'.

Perhaps now the majority of genuine and sincere Redshirts will realize that most of their leaders are mercenary hypocrits.

• Like 1

"writers of the bill seemed to be biased against the red shirts (those accused of setting the country on fire)"...!

Just a slight amendment to the paragraph, but I believe it helps to clarify it.

And pray tell, is there a problem with such bias?

p.s. the headline says that the red shirts are involved in playing down this alternative bill, I do not see any red shirt groups coming out against it, just one of their self-imposed leaders, who has a vested interest in quashing it...!

Edited by GeorgeO
  • Like 1

Why is an amnesty needed if the charges were trumped up and 'political'. Surely an appeal should have been made at the time and protesters released, just the same as happens with cop killers, rapists and their murderers. If there was no basis for jailing these people, I would have thought it would have come to light by now.

The charge that he was convicted on and sentenced to 2 year jail was for abuse of power and is clearly not, no matter how you try to twist it, political.

Since the party in power is controlled by Dr. Thaksin and the UDD was created by and is controlled by Dr. Thasin. And the People’s Proposal for amnesty rules out a pardon for Dr. Thaksin; I can see why those entities are threatened and are over reacting. Thida’s claim that “supporting this would delay the passing of an amnesty by at least a year” and “writers of the bill seemed to be biased against the red shirts and those accused of setting the country on fire” (wow, who shouldn’t be biased by those who set the country on fire?) has no basis in fact nor does she give any proof of her claim. Korkaew is backing Worachi’s version and at the same time saying any amnesty decree will cause anti-government groups to bring them to court. Which is it Mr. Korkaew? Both Korkaew and Thida are on Dr. Thaksin’s payroll and do not represent any interest that does no coincide with Dr. Thaksin’s interests. Also hurting the People’s Proposal for amnesty is that it has bipartisan support from the Democrats.

This government ignores the regular Red Shirts at their peril but no one has ever accused this government of having a shortage of stupid.

I think there are enough MPs in the PTP who will stop the People’s Proposal for amnesty because it will preclude Dr. Thaksin from ever getting amnesty and there are enough MPs in the PTP who will lose power and influence if Dr. Thaksin returns (because he won’t need them anymore) that any and all efforts to pass an amnesty bill will fail. That leaves only theft of all future borrowing power of Thailand on the agenda. If they get these loans, no future government will be able to borrow to buy the love of future, low-information electorates. For Thailand to succeed, PTP must fail and soon.

You say

"For Thailand to succeed, PTP must fail and soon."

I beg to differ. They have already failed.wai2.gif

They are just to stupid to know it and try to turn it around. Just continue on as they have with their feet planted firmly in mid air.sad.png

I wonder if the penny will drop now. The people who died thought that they were fighting for democracy, they were really fighting for Thaksins money and 'face'.

Perhaps now the majority of genuine and sincere Redshirts will realize that most of their leaders are mercenary hypocrits.

I think there is a fair amount of truth in what you say.

I was reading here a while back that they were going to be opening red shirt schools on Democracy again.

Try to retrain the troops into being mindless again.

"writers of the bill seemed to be biased against the red shirts (those accused of setting the country on fire)"...!

Just a slight amendment to the paragraph, but I believe it helps to clarify it.

And pray tell, is there a problem with such bias?

p.s. the headline says that the red shirts are involved in playing down this alternative bill, I do not see any red shirt groups coming out against it, just one of their self-imposed leaders, who has a vested interest in quashing it...!

Also she is trying to get out of the leadership role as the red shirt goals and hers are not the same.

The charge that he was convicted on and sentenced to 2 year jail was for abuse of power and is clearly not, no matter how you try to twist it, political.

How could it be political I believe one of the incarnations of Thai Rak Thai was in office at the time of his trial.

“writers of the bill seemed to be biased against the red shirts and those accused of setting the country on fire”

Correct me if I am wrong, bit isn't that the same thing ? And should not "accused of" be replaced with "known to" ????????

The government may try to appease the victims of the violence by incorporating the people's bill into the Worachai bill.

"Pheu Thai and red shirts are united about what they want so they may just tell people who proposed the people's amnesty bill that they will take their version into consideration. However, the bill can be altered during deliberation,'' the politician said.

In other words, we'll pretend to take the people's bill on board, amend it and add it to our own self-serving amnesty for all except Abhisit & Suthep bill.

Then it's back to street protests and red shirts attacking those protestors. Reconciliation or else.

Chart Thai Pattana party-list MP Thanonsorn Lertritsirikul said his party would toe the line on what the ruling party thinks is best.

Boot lickers come to mind.

You were being far more kind to them than I would have been, would not have used the word "boot" whistling.gif

• Like 2

We can see PTP has failed, at nearly all their initiatives. What counts is if the voters perceive the same AND (and it's a big and); enough of the sheeple voters quit thinking they'll get added money with a Shinawatre at the helm.

Why would 1 bill take up to a year longer than the other to pass?

Thai bureaucracy moves at the pace of tar on the dark side of a glacier.

p.s. the quotes & names got bolloxed up, when I pressed a key....

• Like 1