Today in the village or too much time on my hands?

Bluetongue

If you went to the temple today was it because you are a practising Buddhist or to keep the equilibrium around your partner and/or family as its really not that much of a hassle a few times a year?

Secondly was it a good rollup?

For my part I seem to have just fallen into this routine of going along with my wife on the few big days, plus a few days over these next couple of months. I'm not a Christian although from a predominantly Christian cultural background. I guess my belief system is not challenged so much by Buddhism, I certainly never set foot in a church apart from a wedding or two.

And today was more people than I have ever seen in the village temple, I put at least some of it down to the two holidays coinciding with a weekend allowing people working in Bangkok and elsewhere time to come home. There were a lot of younger people who I have neither never seen or seen very occasionally. The other reason maybe a reflection of growing affluence both due to money being sent home and development of more land and higher value crops.

I did not follow large numbers of the village who went to town afterwards to participate in a parade involving traditional dancing sometimes including pretty short dresses plus big candles followed by judging of various efforts from different villages.

Lastly the fashions on display at the temple were less on the high waisted jeans, thank goodness, and more on flouncy dresses or shorts but with modesty preserved.

• Like 1

I went this morning with my wife. I am not Buddhist, but I do enjoy going to the Temple with her. She and her sister spent several hours yesterday evening preparing traditional Northern Thai food to take today. We got there about 6:16 am, had the food blessed, and then I roamed the courtyard taking pictures and talking with people while she was inside praying. Afterwards she caught up on all the latest news from friends and family that were there. All in all a very nice way to spend the morning.

Same here today....had a great laugh, as the School had a gathering for the step Daughters Class. All in all, I enjoyed watching the kids and their parents having good fun together....picnic lunch followed, and then home to sleep all afternoon....AaaaaH life in the village hey!

We didn't go to the temple this year. But of course did go to the market - twice. But the best comment on the day was from my wife as we were sitting around after a family lunch. Two younger teenage girls with their father and the newest addition - a six month old baby were all in a pile on the tiled floor, asleep. My wife's comment as she was watching them - 'You can't buy this in the market can you'.