questions concerning tourist visa

I am an American citizen who will be residing in Thailand this winter for 4 months from Nov 6 to March 6, 2014. In the past I have gotten a double-entry tourist visa but since I am going to be visiting Cambodia at some point during the 4 months, can I get by with a single-entry tourist visa. If so, will it necessitate me having to go to immigrations to pay the 1900 baht? If so then I might as well get a double-entry tourist visa and save a few dollars. Another question I have is since my tourist visa will be valid for six months, what would happen in the event I wanted to stay for the full six months? By that I mean since I have to send away for my tourist visa at least 2 weeks in advance since I am residing on the eastcoast and I am obtaining my tourist visa at the Portland Oregon thai consulate, then by the time I get to Thailand my Tourist visa's validity period will now be approximately 5 1/2 months and I will be staying for the full 6 months in Thailand. My question is since my tourist visa will expire approximately 2 weeks before I am due to depart Thailand, what do I need to ensure I am not penalized for an overstay on my tourist visa. I hope you understand my questions since it is a little confusing to me and appreciate any advice to help me navigate the complexities of the Thai visa rules and regs.

a double entry visa would be the wiser choice, it would depend on when you were planing on visiting Cambodia and for how long, get the visa as close to Nov 6 as possible, use the first entry to give you a 60 entry into Thailand, then visit Cambodia at the end of this period, and then reenter Thailand on the second entry, ( but must be before the expiry date of the visa) giving you another 60 days in Thailand, this if required could be extended at a local immigration office in Thailand for 30 days at a cost of 1,900 baht

as long as you enter Thailand before the visa expiry date you would get a 60 day permitted to stay stamp, this 60 day period could extend beyond the expiry date of the visa, once the 2nd entry is made the visa is no longer valid.

visa's are what allows you to enter Thailand, permitted to stay stamps are what allow you to remain in Thailand, i think that double entry tourist visa are only valid for 3 months but i could be wrong

sorry if i have explained things too deeply

Humm ... the way I read your question is ...

Get a single entry Tourist Visa = 60 days

Get the extension (yes, you have to pay the 1,900 Baht extension fee) = 30 days

Take the trip to Cambodia on the 90th day

Assuming you are flying back into Thailand, get the Visa exempt stamp which allows for 30 days

That's your 4 months covered.

The downside is that you must take the trip to Cambodia at a predetermined day ... give or take a day or two.

As for saving money, I don't know the cost of Visa's issued in the States.

Just do the sums ... is a single entry Tourist Visa + 1,900 Baht cheaper then a double entry Tourist Visa?

Is my logic sound?

• Like 1

Double entry tourist visa is best. One visa run to activate the second entry and a 30 day extension if you need it.

David48's option will work but you only get 30 days if you come back by air. If you do a land entry you'll only get 15 days so you'll be short and have to do a border run and you'll really be cutting it close.

Humm ... the way I read your question is ...

Get a single entry Tourist Visa = 60 days

Get the extension (yes, you have to pay the 1,900 Baht extension fee) = 30 days

Take the trip to Cambodia on the 90th day

Assuming you are flying back into Thailand, get the Visa exempt stamp which allows for 30 days

That's your 4 months covered.

The downside is that you must take the trip to Cambodia at a predetermined day ... give or take a day or two.

As for saving money, I don't know the cost of Visa's issued in the States.

Just do the sums ... is a single entry Tourist Visa + 1,900 Baht cheaper then a double entry Tourist Visa?

Is my logic sound?

Very Sound..

Is my logic sound?

Very Sound..

Don't think so,

An assumption that is not cheap as you have to fly to get the 30 days. Cost of airline ticket vs another entry on your visa at $40.

Is my logic sound?

Very Sound..

Don't think so,

An assumption that is not cheap as you have to fly to get the 30 days. Cost of airline ticket vs another entry on your visa at $40.

But don't overlook the fact that he stated in his OP that he is travelling to Cambodia, so, presuming he is flying ... the price of the Air Ticket is a mute point.

Edited by David48

Each tourist visa costs about 1,000 baht so it makes more sense to obtain a two entry than to extend a single entry for 30 days for 1,900 baht if any travel planned. Also easier as you just use if for return entry and it should not be hard to plan your trip to Cambodia to take advantage of this (before first 60 day entry expires) and then you will have a new 60 days on return that could be extended another 30 days.

Two entry visas are normally six month validity if issued in US and that use by date only refers to entry - you can stay until the normal permitted to stay 60 days and 30 day extension so well beyond the visa date.

• Like 1

Double entry tourist visa. Then you can sleep at night....and if you want to maybe change your plans this gives you up to 180 days....if you need more time. The best made plans go to hell and in the middle of the word life is the word "if".