Chiang Mai and Hua Hin included in World's Top 21 Overseas Retirement Havens

webfact

Chiang Mai and Hua Hin included in World's Top 21 Overseas Retirement Havens

BANGKOK, 23 July 2013 (NNT) - Chiang Mai and Hua Hin have been listed by an online survey as two of the best places in the world to retire.

Live and Invest Overseas, an online publication devoted to helping those interested in living abroad, has released a list of the 21 most expat-friendly destinations as part of its First Annual Retire Overseas Index.

Low cost of living, acceptable English proficiency, good quality of life and a thriving expat community are some of the selection criteria for the index.

According to the publication, Chiang Mai is a value-for-money destination, with monthly allowance calculated at only 37,500 baht. The province also offers affordable health insurance plans and healthcare services.

Hua Hin meanwhile is seen as an exotic getaway destination which is considered one of the world's most affordable, welcoming, friendly and safe retirement choices.

Topping the list is Abruzzo, Italy, followed by Ambergris Caye in Belize. Other retirement spots included in the list are Cuenca, Ecuador; Granada, Nicaragua and Hoi An, Vietnam.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-07-23 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOURISM
Chiang Mai, Hua Hin best

The Nation

30210976-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The Live and Invest Overseas website has ranked Chiang Mai and Prachuap Khiri Khan's Hua Hin district as a couple of the world's best places to retire due to the low cost of living and beautiful beaches.

The website recently revealed its first annual "retire overseas" index which used several criteria to name the best places, including the cost of living, local people's English skills, entertainment venues, environment, public health, infrastructure, real estate, residential areas, safety and taxes.

Chiang Mai and Hua Hin were included in a list of 21 other cities, including Abruzzo in Italy, Ambergris Caye and Cayo in Belize, Boquete in Panama and Cebu in the Philippines.

because of the low cost of living with Bt 37,500 per month. Moreover, the cost of insurance and medical service are not too expensive for foreigner.

While Hua Hin was picked up because of the precious beaches and low cost of living.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-23

TOURISM

Chiang Mai, Hua Hin best

The Nation

30210976-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The Live and Invest Overseas website has ranked Chiang Mai and Prachuap Khiri Khan's Hua Hin district as a couple of the world's best places to retire due to the low cost of living and beautiful beaches.

The website recently revealed its first annual "retire overseas" index which used several criteria to name the best places, including the cost of living, local people's English skills, entertainment venues, environment, public health, infrastructure, real estate, residential areas, safety and taxes.

Chiang Mai and Hua Hin were included in a list of 21 other cities, including Abruzzo in Italy, Ambergris Caye and Cayo in Belize, Boquete in Panama and Cebu in the Philippines.

because of the low cost of living with Bt 37,500 per month. Moreover, the cost of insurance and medical service are not too expensive for foreigner.

While Hua Hin was picked up because of the precious beaches and low cost of living.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-07-23

"The province also offers affordable health insurance plans and healthcare services."

Oh, does it now?

Not if you're at retirement age or older.

Sounds like someone is gilding the lily.

• Like 1

Hub of people that have the choice to stay in Thailand, or, leave Thailand.

They choose to stay, then think Thailand owes them something.

Then they do nothing but bitch and whine about what a terrible place it is, all the while, they can leave when they want to, but they still don't leave, they stay, then continue to whine about what a bad place it is, it's so bad, they still continue to stay facepalm.gif

and what exactly is Banzai99 doing? Smiling happily or whinging and whining?

• Like 1

STOP.

The article is quoted out of context. Grades were given.

Based on its 12 category grades, each destination was given an overall, final grade.

Four destinations were "A's" overall, as follows:

Cuenca, Ecuador Georgetown, Malaysia Medellin, Colombia Panama City Beaches, Panama

There were multiple criteria. Hua Hina and Chiang Mai showed up in some categories. That's all the article says.

The only good thing about Hua Hin is that it's not Pattaya, with CM, yes it cheaper

than most other foreigner's populated areas but the air pollutions from the burning

of crops and traffic congestions that become no unusual to be stuck in, put

the kybosh on the place.

Now lets be a little honest you are talking about 1and 1/2 month. Trying to make it seem like it is an all year thing.

That tells me that you agree with every thing else that was said that is good about Chiang Mai but you like to nit pick.

Makes it kind of hard to believe any thing you say.smile.png

• Like 1

Between a dengue fever epidemic at the moment and annual air purity alerts from crop and forest burning, one has to question the validity of "awards" of this nature. With Motor Trend's car of the year award, the annual recipient spends huge amounts on advertising to "thank" the publication for the honor. Is the "Live and Invest Overseas" website of a similar nature?

• Like 1

What about beach road Pattaya sitting there on the side walk with a warm 7/11 beer hanging around with all the winners , wonder what that ranking was?

Surely you mean "sitting there on the sidewalk with a warm 7/11 beer hanging around with all the losers. . ."?

CM is becoming a Farang Ghetto, it's going to eat itself alive.

On the other hand, I predict a mass exodus within 5 years. As soon as the wall of Chinese and ASEAN money pours in, which it will, it will become the BKK of the North. Over priced and gridlocked.

Those in CM just now should be looking for the next best thing, go buy land there and wait it out. Once they are sick of CM, cash in and move.......get yourselves one step ahead of the game.

• Like 1

Then they do nothing but bitch and whine about what a terrible place it is, all the while, they can leave when they want to, but they still don't leave, they stay, then continue to whine about what a bad place it is, it's so bad, they still continue to stay facepalm.gif

Not everybody has the choice to leave. They are fully invested in Thailand. Jobs, property, families and have been here many years.

How do you leave that?

Well it would help if you read the article. Pretty hard to be retired when you have a job.

I have no job or property here just a wife who would be quite happy to live in Bali. Yet I am fully vested in Thailand. I wanted to live in Thailand so I got rid of all my property in Canada. I even gave my car to my ex wife. I do not own one thing here in Thailand that I can not walk away from. I do have some items of value but I refuse to let my possessions own me.

If that is some ones choice so be it. I understand. I lived that way for 64 years. Now all that would hold me back is my wife. That is a choice I am happy to live with. She is Thai.

• Like 1

On the other hand, I predict a mass exodus within 5 years. As soon as the wall of Chinese and ASEAN money pours in, which it will, it will become the BKK of the North. Over priced and gridlocked.

Those in CM just now should be looking for the next best thing, go buy land there and wait it out. Once they are sick of CM, cash in and move.......get yourselves one step ahead of the game.

How would you know you never stay long enough to do anything other than meet a few people at the bars and you are off again to some other location?

• Like 1

What about beach road Pattaya sitting there on the side walk with a warm 7/11 beer hanging around with all the winners , wonder what that ranking was?

Surely you mean "sitting there on the sidewalk with a warm 7/11 beer hanging around with all the losers. . ."?

A bit short in lateral thinking skills are we? Does sarcasm have to kick you up the butt before you recognise it? Must one always state the bleeding obvious?

• Like 2

If this forum is such a pain to you, why do you bother to come here? Hoist with own petard?

Strange that ThaiVisa announced this story in the same list as it announced that dengue fever had never been so bad in CM.

I come to CM for each winter, six months of renting half-decent condos just outside the city perimeter. I have to confess that the quality of life is visibly deteriorating with each year I am here. Traffic has become almost unbearable. The automobile pollution is life-threatening at the five-hour traffic lights. Restaurant menus this last year far outstripped inflation. Most restaurants catering to farang tastes increased their prices by about 20%.

I happily pay, since I am only a visitor. But if I were truly doing the expat thing and uprooting from my home country, I would not choose CM as my final destination. I would not pay the inflated prices for the new condos going up, all looking really smart in the photos cos they have a few gleaming modern appliances sucking you in.

But when all's said and done, better than living a drizzling winter in Liverpool, Manchester, Boston or Toronto.

I don't see the problem?

Pattaya has something for everyone. smile.png

It's amazing how any topic here can be used for a quick bash at Pattaya, no matter how irrelevant.

Edited by JSixpack

Unfortunately, I do see hyper-growth in Chiang Mai over the next few years. This article will only exacerbate the situation. Over population is the bane of any metropolis. Perhaps Chiang Rai will be the new Chiang Mai in the future...not that I have any interest in moving up there.

If this forum is such a pain to you, why do you bother to come here? Hoist with own petard?

But the Banzai does speaketh the truth.

Not everybody has the choice to leave. They are fully invested in Thailand. Jobs, property, families and have been here many years.

How do you leave that?

You nailed this one perfectly.

Also for some of us its not the country... its some of the people that make life worse... The rascist Thais. the theiving police and so on... When we confront them, it makes a pleasant day a day to forget and hope tomorrow brings something better.

This is true of many countries, but we are not there, we are in Thailand and we have the right to get pissed off... It doesnt mean we hate it...

• Like 1

i am living comfortably in pattaya on my social security. if i was trying to do same in the USA i would be eating out of garbage cans and sleeping in a shelter. only benefit i miss is my free medical insurance with the VA since i'm a veteran.

post-150044-0-61772500-1374560471_thumb.