Improvement of Bangkok’s mass transit system tops Transport Ministry agenda

webfact

Improvement of capital’s mass transit system tops Transport Ministry agenda
By English News

13745461798285.jpg

BANGKOK, July 23 -- Thailand Ministry of Transport and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will jointly improve 6,000 bus stops citywide in an attempt to woo commuters onto the mass transit system.

Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt said bus stops should be roofed and include signage with information on bus routes.

The ministry and the BMA will discuss budget for the bus stop development and steps in carrying out the project, he said.

Mr Chadchart said the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority – operator of bus service in Bangkok and suburbs – has been instructed to increase the number of buses during rush hours.

One of the keys to solving traffic congestion is encouraging more people to use the mass transit system which must be improved whether buses, boats or electric trains, he said.

Mr Chadchart said boat services in Bangkok also need improvement, particularly regarding the quality and cleanliness of boats, and facilities at piers.

He will meet with boat operators next week to discuss ways to improve their services.

Regarding construction of four high-speed train routes nationwide, he said the Transport Ministry will propose a plan on environmental impact assessments (EIA) together with consideration of the draft bill to seek Bt2 trillion loans in the next few months.

The bill, passed in the first reading by the House of Representatives, is currently under deliberation in its second reading.

The minister said the mega investment project will involve many related government agencies and a special committee to follow up on the infrastructure projects under the Bt2 trillion borrowing will be necessary to ensure flexibility and accomplishment within the timeframe. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-07-23

6,000 bus stops citywide in an attempt to woo commuters onto the mass transit system.

They could always put the taxes on cars top dissuade people from buying cars.

Whooops...

Oops is right!

Putting a tax on drivers entering Bangkok would make sense, something of which governments seem to be in short supply.

• Like 1

6,000 bus stops citywide in an attempt to woo commuters onto the mass transit system.

Whooops...

Oops is right!

Putting a tax on drivers entering Bangkok would make sense, something of which governments seem to be in short supply.

Why do so many people always think "another tax" is the right approach. While it may indeed reduce traffic entering Bangkok, additional taxes are always just another burden and takes money from a person's pocket that could be used to buy things. But maybe a new tax would be put to good use and used to help keep the rice buying scheme a taxpayer's money pit.

• Like 1

For every baht the gov't proposes for trying to alleviate Bkk's traffic woes, a baht should be devoted to the following:

>>>> moving Bkk's services to higher ground.

As we've heard, Bkk is sinking, literally, in its mud flat, ...and seas are rising. Trillions spent on infrastructure won't change that. 20 and 50 year projections for Bangkok are looking very soggy. Better to start relocating now, then wait until it's got to be done by barges.

• Like 1

During my time in Hong Kong, no I didn't meet Mr. T or Rudolph the Red Nosed cabinet minister, there was a proposal that anyone wanting to buy and register a new car would have to " trade in " and have destroyed old clunkers to the same engine size and get them off the road

The idea was to take the old cars to the government crusher, they would be destroyed and a certificate issued so their registration was cancelled and a new car could be registered.

Anyone buying a Merc or Roller would have to destroy up to 6 1,000cc Mini's for example.

The plan never passed through the Legislative Council despite popular support.

I avoid the buses when ever possible.

I am much more impressed with the expansion of the BTS. Traveled around the outskirts of Bangkok over the holiday and the BTS is making an impression reach to new areas. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Markaew
  • Like 1

I am much more impressed with the expansion of the BTS. Traveled around the outskirts of Bangkok over the holiday and the BTS is making an impression reach to new areas. thumbsup.gif

The BTS is nice...if it happens to go where you need to go. And if you only used the BTS during your holidays travels you really didn't get "close" to the "outskirts" of Bangkok unless you also used buses, taxis, and motorcycles. And let's face it, Bangkok is a BIG city and the BTS services a small area with the bulk of that service coverage being in central Bangkok...get off the BTS (if it happened to be going to the general area you need to go to) and then grab a bus, taxi, motorcycle tax for the rest of way. Sure it's expanding like with one link expanding into western Bangkok and one link into the Nonthaburi Bang Yai area and that's good, but it will still just drop you off at a certain area where you will then be looking to grab that bus, taxi, or motorcycle taxi for the additional kilometers you will many times have to travel. I expect for the great majority of folks who live in Bangkok, an improved bus service would be much more beneficial than expanding the BTS...but hopefully they can do both at the same time. But if you happen to live in central Bangkok and most of your travels is just to central Bangkok areas, then the BTS is great to get you close to where you need to go.

I think that you may have made the same mistake that this person did, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/406991-the-new-skytrain/ as most likely you saw either the MRTA Purple Line or the MRTA Blue Line extension both of which are not BTS lines.

(Though perhaps it could have been the Silom line ext to Bang Wah - 2 stations under construction and due to open in Dec)

Which areas of BKK suburbs were you visiting?

Whooops...

Oops is right!

Why do so many people always think "another tax" is the right approach. While it may indeed reduce traffic entering Bangkok, additional taxes are always just another burden and takes money from a person's pocket that could be used to buy things. But maybe a new tax would be put to good use and used to help keep the rice buying scheme a taxpayer's money pit.

Au contraire', a congestion tax for inner BKK would be highly effective if introduced with street parking charges (Bkk must be one of the few big cities in the world where street parking is free), priority bus lanes and proper traffic management (I know, a dream...). This has been the overwhelming experience everywhere else in the world where congestion charges have been implemented.

A congestion tax is a highly effective way to deter people from entering areas of congestion IF alternatives are provided. Until the metro network is more established in 5-10 years then priority bus lanes assist. People whine about taxes but this is a basic fiscal tool govts use for all manner of public policy. (Money raised should fund more public transport).

An integrated single govt agency managing and operating all public transport with a single ticketing platform would greatly help. Currently we have BMTA, MRT (BMCL), ARL (SRT), BTS (BTSC), numerous private companies and 5 different ticketing platforms! It really is messy and inefficient.

People whinge about traffic jams in BKK which have huge financial consequences in terms of lost productivity, increased logistics, health and environmental costs along with the decreased quality of living issues. There is no fix in building more roads - aside from the fact that few reserves exist for such - as when that is done they just quickly fill up. Bkk also has the obvious problem from being very poorly planned (There is still no integrated Master Transport Plan for all modes of transport in BKK)

Take an intersection. If there are opposing lanes which could be designated as 'right turn lanes', then you can adjust the traffic lights accordingly. Currently, nearly every intersection in Thailand which has lights, can only manage one street's traffic moving at a time. If dedicated turn lanes were put in place, with corresponding turn lights, then opposing lanes could move concurrently. Considerably more traffic could move through intersections each hour.

Whooops...

Oops is right!

What about Private vehicles only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and concession bus tickets on the weekend.

Whooops...

Oops is right!

What about Private vehicles only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and concession bus tickets on the weekend.

I would stop taxis picking up and dropping off on main thoroughfares. Only in side sois.

In my 15 years here there have been two (and maybe more) separate studies carried out by independent bodies (one European and one Japanese) on the Bangkok Metropolitan traffic system and to what extent a central computerised control system would benefit road users. Not surprisingly both studies, although some years apart, came up with essentially the same findings. Bangkok's road network is actually fairly simple; there are a small number of major arterial roads, rather more minor arterial roads and a whole mass of connecting ones. A central computer system for control of the lights on the junctions was not rocket science and would be relatively simple to programme and install. However, each time it came down to the mechanics of giving it the green light and putting such a system in place it fell on the stoney ground of the police, who were unwilling to relinquish control over the lights in their particular parish. Hence neither scheme ever got off the ground, nor will any future scheme unless someone can bang together the heads of the BIB. I recall Gen Surayud, when the reluctant PM, saying he would do so, but he failed. Mr T even though an ex-copper, made no headway, so one is left wondering who the heck can!

I would stop taxis picking up and dropping off on main thoroughfares. Only in side sois.

I wish you could just stop taxi drivers from peeing along side the road (thoroughfares and sois).

It would be great if they improved both the bus and boat services. For buses I just hope they put bus routes up in English at each bus stop. As of now the system is so complex that even many of my Thai friends don't use it except for maybe on the street where they live. As for the Chao Phraya express, the boats are old, too small and there's not nearly enough of them. You often have to wait up to 30 minutes for the next boat, and from 4:00pm on they're so overloaded that you often have to wait another 30 minutes. The river could be a really reliable transport line if they updated the boat fleet and added more of them. I've heard that the super rich family who runs it just doesn't give a hoot -- hence the disorganized fee collection system. I feel bad for those orange-shirt wearing lladies who have to scream their way up and down the boat trying to collect 15 baht from everyone, which they can only manage to get from half the riders at busy times.

• Like 1

Bus lanes, bus lanes, bus lanes. Not nice bus stops, but dedicated bus lanes that allow buses to travel quickly through the city. Enforced by the police.

Whoops, I've seen a catch. P.C. Plod stops Merc driver in bus lane. Rich and influential Merc driver says, "I'll make trouble for you, Plod" and drives on. Plod gives up.

So the obvious and very cheap solution, applied throughout western Europe with great success for many decades, will never happen in feudal Bangkok.

Whooops...

Oops is right!

Singapore for example. Seems to work.

Improvement of capital’s mass transit system tops Transport Ministry agenda

I find this statement hard to understand. I know what it says, but I do not think the improvement of mass transit system is at the top of the ministry agenda. The must important agenda, is to fill the new addition on the house with money. 50% of the cost upfront, before contact is approved ph34r.png

Bus lanes, bus lanes, bus lanes. Not nice bus stops, but dedicated bus lanes that allow buses to travel quickly through the city. Enforced by the police.

Whoops, I've seen a catch. P.C. Plod stops Merc driver in bus lane. Rich and influential Merc driver says, "I'll make trouble for you, Plod" and drives on. Plod gives up.

So the obvious and very cheap solution, applied throughout western Europe with great success for many decades, will never happen in feudal Bangkok.

Actually I hardly see any cars on the dedicated BRT bus lane along Narathiwat or RamaIII. That was different when the BRT link started to operate, but the Police Force was very attentite for a while.