reading some threds

pigeonjake

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect you do not understand Thailand as of yet.

My first clue to your comments is you cannot spell. Either you are drunk or you have difficulties with the language which speaks volumes about your point of view.

We, as human beings, react to what we are exposed to. Many of us complain because we have negative experiences. In general, I would say that all of us have negative experiences in Thailand thus the negative comments. We stay here because of the few experiences that we value. Wife, gf, etc.

Thais have as a genetic/cultural disposition of xenophobic behavior which explains our negative response. To simple say we need to be positive about Thailand is a total misunderstanding of the problem.

Put simply, Thais hate us but we stay because of the small positives that we create for ourselves. Thailand is a hostile environment for foreigners but if you have the adaptability to create that small environment for yourself to flourish, then you can survive here or better yet, be happy here.

I must live in the other Thailand - maybe the same one that Pigeonjake lives in. My experience of Thailand is generally positive.

SC

Sorry SC you have made a mistake Thai's hate us.

That's it then back to the home country where I am loved.

• Like 1

To be honest, I'd be mortified if my girlfriend ever read some of the comments posted here on TV about Thailand, Thai culture, Thai people, etc.

My GF mocks me when she sees me reading this forum.

Think about what you've got here. You've got a completely uneducated working class prick who calls himself PIGEON because he's too stupid to spell PIDGIN properly.

I honestly don't know how anyone can take this rubbish seriously.

I have to agree. You can usually detect a persons class status and level of education from the quality of their comment !

Have to love it. "We" have gone from tar-brushing a whole nation and it's people to doing the same to whole levels of people in our own societies. I continue to be amazed at the open expressions of prejudice I see in these forums (against Thais as a group, against Russians as a group, against Sino-Thais... and now against people of presumed educational levels/status). I've known many PhDs in my lifetime (led a department of 14 of them in the past), and I can tell you that some of them have been quite ignorant in their views. And I've met many people with little formal education (my dad didn't go past grade 9) who were much wiser and who have taught me a lot. I won't try to 'detect' which group you hail from...

My first clue to your comments is you cannot spell. Either you are drunk or you have difficulties with the language which speaks volumes about your point of view.

We, as human beings, react to what we are exposed to. Many of us complain because we have negative experiences. In general, I would say that all of us have negative experiences in Thailand thus the negative comments. We stay here because of the few experiences that we value. Wife, gf, etc.

Thais have as a genetic/cultural disposition of xenophobic behavior which explains our negative response. To simple say we need to be positive about Thailand is a total misunderstanding of the problem.

Put simply, Thais hate us but we stay because of the small positives that we create for ourselves. Thailand is a hostile environment for foreigners but if you have the adaptability to create that small environment for yourself to flourish, then you can survive here or better yet, be happy here.

I must live in the other Thailand - maybe the same one that Pigeonjake lives in. My experience of Thailand is generally positive.

SC

StreetC,

To expand on this further, I am a fan of a particular point of view. This man has Thailand nailed perfectly and although I am absolutely not a fan of the Stickman site, I had a friend turn me on to this guys point of view. He is 100%.

His name is Shark. Read here: http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2012/Pattaya-shark-man.htm

He explains my point of view.

"Thais have as a genetic/cultural disposition of xenophobic behavior".... Are you serious?? Do you know anything about the genetics of human behaviour? I'm just floored by this comment.

"Put simply, Thais hate us but we stay because of the small positives that we create for ourselves. Thailand is a hostile environment for foreigners but if you have the adaptability to create that small environment for yourself to flourish, then you can survive here or better yet, be happy here." Talk about a "siege mentality". I suspect the only Thai people you've made an effort to know are those within your immediate family here... perhaps only your wife. I have made some good Thai friends over the years--managers, an architect, restaurant workers, farmers--and I've found Thais in general to be among the most open and welcoming people in the world. In your mind, of course, I've only been duped. Won't be able to convince you otherwise...

To be honest, I'd be mortified if my girlfriend ever read some of the comments posted here on TV about Thailand, Thai culture, Thai people, etc.

My GF mocks me when she sees me reading this forum.

Think about what you've got here. You've got a completely uneducated working class prick who calls himself PIGEON because he's too stupid to spell PIDGIN properly.

I honestly don't know how anyone can take this rubbish seriously.

I thought he called himself Pigeon because he used to poach them or race them or something.

But you must admit that PIDGIN would have been more apt.

Actually, I think the OP is a troll. There is a difference between moronic and impossibly moronic.

My guess is that his character has been created to serve as a sort of "Working Class Hero" role model for all the sad, lost and directionless souls who populate this forum.

Talk about bleating stones in glass ouses,lol.

CCC

"Thais have as a genetic/cultural disposition of xenophobic behavior".... Are you serious?? Do you know anything about the genetics of human behaviour? I'm just floored by this comment.

"Put simply, Thais hate us but we stay because of the small positives that we create for ourselves. Thailand is a hostile environment for foreigners but if you have the adaptability to create that small environment for yourself to flourish, then you can survive here or better yet, be happy here." Talk about a "siege mentality". I suspect the only Thai people you've made an effort to know are those within your immediate family here... perhaps only your wife. I have made some good Thai friends over the years--managers, an architect, restaurant workers, farmers--and I've found Thais in general to be among the most open and welcoming people in the world. In your mind, of course, I've only been duped. Won't be able to convince you otherwise...

You are "floored". I suggest you stay there. I am amazed at the naivety of people like yourself.

Of course you make friends with a few Thais and I have as well, but that doesn't make the rule. They are the exception.

Pull your head out of the sand and the sunshine out of your ass and wake up!

Edited by Markaew

You are "floored". I suggest you stay there. I am amazed at the naivety of people like yourself.

Of course you make friends with a few Thais and I have as well, but that doesn't make the rule. They are the exception.

Yep, funny how I keep bumping into the 'exceptions' ... must explain why Sikh fortune tellers always come up to me and say, "you are a very lucky man" .

p.s. you may need courses not just on genetics, but statistics and sampling theory as well. I can make myself available...

Markaew.

Shark on stickman, now all your credibility has been lost. The meat head has only been in Pattaya 3 years and has the attitude of a brain dead monger. Do you really have the same attitude about Thailand as him?.

There's more to Thailand and it's people than just mongering in Pattaya for 3 years.

• Like 2

Some believe that people who suffer from mild depression actually have a firmer grip on reality. In much, much simpler terms: sometimes the truth hurts.

After living here a couple of years, it's plainly obvious this country suffers from utopia hype. At its core, Thailand is just another banana republic and has all the problems associated with such a society. Identifying and thoughtfully considering the issues of the day -- not only here, but wherever I live -- is part of what makes me tick. I was taught to think critically and I enjoy doing so. Indeed, it's a big part of what makes me happy.

My criticisms of Thailand, its organizations and its people are informed by the same distrust which fuels the criticisms I have for my own country and people. Thailand is rotten with corruption; it permeates nearly every facet of life. Anyone who says differently is living in Lala land. I suffer from, or rather delight in (depends on one's perspective), a severe distrust of politicians. I am a natural born dissenter. In large part, I left the U.S. because I felt it had become a nanny state. Forget the proverbial American dream; the U.S. has become a nation of stressed out insomniacs.... but I digress.

Unfortunately for this foreigner, Thailand often feels far more like a nanny state -- perhaps because I'm employed here and suffer through more red-tape than the average retiree. Maybe if I spent my days on a farm like the OP I wouldn't have suffered as much frustration, but that isn't my reality. I work in a government school -- ground zero for producing the misinformed, largely apathetic citizenry that delights in saying "Mai Bpen Rai" as the elites run roughshod throughout the country. If that's not worthy of criticism, I don't know what is.

For me, it's largely about education. By and large, Thais don't appear to value it. Yes, they value the piece of paper with their name on it. But they don't value that which goes into earning it because they aren't taught to value it, and on and on it goes.

All that said, yes, Thailand is developing and the country already has the outward appearances of success. But scratch the surface and often enough even a minor problem shows how backward the place can be, e.g., like trying to get a new ATM card in a province other than where the account was opened: call the offices and you'll be told any branch can issue a new card. But when you show up to a branch, good luck trying to explain this to an ignorant employee who isn't emotionally capable of admitting she's wrong after first telling you she cannot issue the card.

beatdeadhorse.gif

You have stated the ' halfempty side of the glass '. Care to mention the halvefull side of the glass as well ?

Some believe that people who suffer from mild depression actually have a firmer grip on reality. In much, much simpler terms: sometimes the truth hurts.

After living here a couple of years, it's plainly obvious this country suffers from utopia hype. At its core, Thailand is just another banana republic and has all the problems associated with such a society. Identifying and thoughtfully considering the issues of the day -- not only here, but wherever I live -- is part of what makes me tick. I was taught to think critically and I enjoy doing so. Indeed, it's a big part of what makes me happy.

My criticisms of Thailand, its organizations and its people are informed by the same distrust which fuels the criticisms I have for my own country and people. Thailand is rotten with corruption; it permeates nearly every facet of life. Anyone who says differently is living in Lala land. I suffer from, or rather delight in (depends on one's perspective), a severe distrust of politicians. I am a natural born dissenter. In large part, I left the U.S. because I felt it had become a nanny state. Forget the proverbial American dream; the U.S. has become a nation of stressed out insomniacs.... but I digress.

Unfortunately for this foreigner, Thailand often feels far more like a nanny state -- perhaps because I'm employed here and suffer through more red-tape than the average retiree. Maybe if I spent my days on a farm like the OP I wouldn't have suffered as much frustration, but that isn't my reality. I work in a government school -- ground zero for producing the misinformed, largely apathetic citizenry that delights in saying "Mai Bpen Rai" as the elites run roughshod throughout the country. If that's not worthy of criticism, I don't know what is.

For me, it's largely about education. By and large, Thais don't appear to value it. Yes, they value the piece of paper with their name on it. But they don't value that which goes into earning it because they aren't taught to value it, and on and on it goes.

All that said, yes, Thailand is developing and the country already has the outward appearances of success. But scratch the surface and often enough even a minor problem shows how backward the place can be, e.g., like trying to get a new ATM card in a province other than where the account was opened: call the offices and you'll be told any branch can issue a new card. But when you show up to a branch, good luck trying to explain this to an ignorant employee who isn't emotionally capable of admitting she's wrong after first telling you she cannot issue the card.

beatdeadhorse.gif

You have stated the ' halfempty side of the glass '. Care to mention the halvefull side of the glass as well ?

My post wasn't about half empty vs. half full: sometimes the glass is just too big. Sometimes people's perceptions and/or expectations don't conform with reality.

Thailand is not paradise, and acknowledging that doesn't make me a negative person; it just makes me a realist. That doesn't mean,however, that in my everyday life I don't smile or generally enjoy myself here.

beatdeadhorse.gif

My post wasn't about half empty vs. half full: sometimes the glass is just too big. Sometimes people's perceptions and/or expectations don't conform with reality.

Thailand is not paradise, and acknowledging that doesn't make me a negative person; it just makes me a realist. That doesn't mean,however, that in my everyday life I don't smile or generally enjoy myself here.

It is their reality however. Truth might be different. That is what a forum is about as well. 1st of all; truth about 1self.

It is their reality however. Truth might be different. That is what a forum is about as well. 1st of all; truth about 1self.

But it's not just about their reality; that is what this forum is about: a westerner's view of the place.

And I did tell the truth about myself and how I think.

• Like 1

But it's not just about their reality; that is what this forum is about: a westerner's view of the place.

And I did tell the truth about myself and how I think.

Never doubted that.

How is it with the misses ?

Yep, funny how I keep bumping into the 'exceptions' ... must explain why Sikh fortune tellers always come up to me and say, "you are a very lucky man" .

p.s. you may need courses not just on genetics, but statistics and sampling theory as well. I can make myself available...

You keep believing you are exceptional. You and you believe that fantasy.

This reinforces my statement about denial. No clue. Just exist in your own world.

You can believe what you want, but I am trying to inform newbies that this ain't candyland like you are saying. They deserve an honest opinion.

Frankly, yours is just at best, hopeful.

SC

StreetC,

To expand on this further, I am a fan of a particular point of view. This man has Thailand nailed perfectly and although I am absolutely not a fan of the Stickman site, I had a friend turn me on to this guys point of view. He is 100%.

His name is Shark. Read here: http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2012/Pattaya-shark-man.htm

And with it any credability you may have had cheesy.gif

StreetC,

And with it any credability you may have had cheesy.gif

I appreciate your opnion as meaningless as it is. You apparently have no tolerance of other people's opinion so why should tolerance of yours?

I was merely stating an opinion and somehow disturbed you into a meaningless statement. Pity.

I hope soon somebody tells me where Paradise is I am getting a headache.

Hang on I will check Google .

It's in Utopia!

Btw that shark person and his opinions are not representitive of the overwhelming majority of farangs here.

CCC

It's in Utopia!

Btw that shark person and his opinions are not representitive of the overwhelming majority of farangs here.

CCC

Hmmm, 'overwhelming' is somewhat exaggerated me thinks !

It's in Utopia!

CCC

Hmmm, 'overwhelming' is somewhat exaggerated me thinks !
Not if you include the silent majority;-)

SC

StreetC,

Yep, that 'Shark' character is a lovely specimen of humanity. To quote: "I'm free. I can say, "Fxxx you" to the world. I don't have to wear a shirt. I don't have to abide by the rules and if I do break the rules I just pay. It is one of the only places in the world where I really do feel free. I fxxx up all the time but I pay. It beats going to jail. In Australia I would be in jail. I could throw you off my balcony and pay my way out of it. Bullshit my way out of it somehow. You know that. "

So this is the guy you look up to? The guy who doesn't care about local norms and rules and culture and just wants to do things his way because he can? No wonder you have bad experiences with Thai people. Can I assume you also live in Pattaya?

SC

StreetC,

From your quoted article "I could throw you off my balcony and pay my way out of it. Bullshit my way out of it somehow. You know that. "

Explains your point of view does it?

Jake...

If you live in a bubble, as suggested here, maybe you have and are protected, from people that want the same as you....but wont make the effort, you are putting effort into what you require from life.....good on you.

No need to explain....some of us understand where you are coming from.

You just have Cats amongst the pigeons....lol

• Like 1

thanks weegee,,

yes and i put the pigeon into my name because when i was married in the uk i was mad into racing pigeons,

and yes ive got a few in thailand, took some finding but i tracked them down,

jake

post-32351-0-32406500-1374720397_thumb.j