Floods hit Korat and Chanthaburi after heavy downpours

webfact

INUNDATION
Floods hit Korat and Chanthaburi after heavy downpours

The Nation

BANGKOK:-- Heavy rainfall and elevated land plots are blamed for flooding that has just hit Nakhon Ratchasima and Chanthaburi.

In Nakhon Ratchasima, floodwater was between 50 and 70 centimetres deep in Mueang district on Tuesday.

"The average 24-hour rainfall has been the biggest in the past decade here," said Sangad Saimai, who heads the province's weather bureau.

Heavy downpour has hit several parts of Nakhon Ratchasima since Sunday. By yesterday morning, floodwater level spread across the heart of the province including a portion of Mitrapap Road.

Nakhon Ratchasima Highway District 2 Office's director Amnuay Rittirong said after more than 200 rai of land were filled and its level was elevated to become parking space for Save One Market, the town had lost its waterretention area.

"Clearly, the parking space has not had efficient waterdrainage system. I will raise the issue with relevant authorities," he said.

In Chanthaburi, floodwater level ranged between 50 and 100 centimetres in many zones. More than 10,000 people in the province's Mueang district were affected.

An informed source blamed the elevation of many land plots' level for the flooding, saying that some land plots was elevated by more than one metre. Several cars were flooded.

The National Disaster Warning Centre, meanwhile, warned residents of Nakhon Nayok, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Loei, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Surin, Si Sa Ket, and Ubon Ratchathani of possible flash floods between yesterday and today.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-23

Heavy rain triggers flooding in eastern provinces
By English News

13745696911851.jpg

TRAT, July 23 - Heavy and incessant rain has triggered flooding in Thailand's eastern provinces of Trat and Chamthaburi.

The flood level in Trat following overnight rain is about 40-50 centimetres deep on a portion of road from Trat Hospital to the Provincial Electricity Authority office. Small vehicles cannot pass.

Meanwhile, a portion of Sukhumvit Road in front of the provincial administrative office is under water, causing traffic congestion.

Flood has flowed into houses in three subdistricts, forcing local residents to move their belongings to higher ground and reinforce flood embankments.

In Chanthaburi, over ten hours of rain triggered flash flood from the mountain in Makham district. Villagers moved their belonging to higher ground. Raging torrent hit main and minor roads around the town centre. Roads are impassable.

Rescue workers came by boat to help flood victims in some villages, surrounding orchards growing the fruit which is the primary economy of the district. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-07-23

I don't think it can be done something to avoid floods when it rains more than 100 mm of rain in less than 24 hours. There's just too much water and it will flood even with a good drainage. Trad has registered 230 mm of rain in the last 24 hours, which is insane. Anything more than 100 mm and the place is f****d.

http://tmd.go.th/en/weather_report_daily.php?StationNumber=48501

Edited by Thunder26

That area is of course nor where the flood protection is destined to go.

The 350 Billion is, if I understand correctly to be spent protecting the central plains and of course right down the bottom at BKK.

If what I read is correct some parts of the nothern BKK catchment is still experiencing a drought.

Thank you Yingluck and PTP for all the effort you have put into flood prevention.

So now the Government is to blame for the heaviest rainfall in a decade?

Thailand gets Monsoon rain, it's supposed to flood when this happens. Try and get used to it and stop expecting someone to build a magical hole that drains all the water away.

Easy now. This is a raison d'etre for some.

• Like 2

The 350 Billion is, if I understand correctly to be spent protecting the central plains and of course right down the bottom at BKK.

If what I read is correct some parts of the nothern BKK catchment is still experiencing a drought.

The year before the big flood, korat went way under. People believe it was done to save Bangkok, but I don't see how it connects.

Of course following year, new government, korat is dry and Bangkok gets it.

The year before the big flood, korat went way under. People believe it was done to save Bangkok, but I don't see how it connects.

Of course following year, new government, korat is dry and Bangkok gets it.

I think Korat is something like 180 m above sea level. As you would expect, their flooding is from poor local land management and runoff from surrounding mountainous areas.

I'm in Chanthburi and it came almost instantly. Went on lunch break today and it wasn't too bad and then by 3pm, the entire city was underwater. This is the worst I've experienced in 6 years here, even worse then the BKK and Samui floods I've experienced. Prayin for the best and I hope everyone else living around here stays safe.

• Like 2

I'm in Chanthburi and it came almost instantly. Went on lunch break today and it wasn't too bad and then by 3pm, the entire city was underwater. This is the worst I've experienced in 6 years here, even worse then the BKK and Samui floods I've experienced. Prayin for the best and I hope everyone else living around here stays safe.

Chantaburi has got about 400 mm of rain today. No wonder it is flooded. Take care anyway!

I feel sorry for the people who have no choice but to put up with it- every time losing possessions, no higher rooms to move into.

I am fortunate to choose my home and where it is, always on my list is if the place is in an area that could get under water, an elevated site is one of my priorities-(land higher than the road for starters)

So many Thai people opt for farrang style homes, ground floor rooms-block walls. His Majesty spoke so often about retaining the traditional house on posts, ground floor for the buffalo and upper for living. Modern style comes before safety.

Everywhere in Thailand people are buying Dumps of earth at 500bht a lorry load, and raising their land at least a meter.

Of course blocked drains are often the cause of local flooding--BUT cloudbursts and torrential rain in monsoon season and low lying areas are going to get the brunt of it.

For US, we have choices, -for most of them NONE.

Some pictures added here.... The road behind our house was not drivable, even for pickups.

A little help from the local vigilantes.

945730_587192994664401_508317612_n.jpg

Sailing through the soi.

1045088_684252811601388_1232913396_n.jpg

1069180_383468335088805_907720755_n.jpg

1000204_214200945399236_872952536_n.jpg

164289_632504540100577_883128451_n.jpg

1004820_274330966043401_1404028083_n.jpg

148503_495740357178653_1516917865_n.jpg

581423_526083610774448_1423414092_n.jpg

1000501_274327072710457_1340196270_n.jpg

942416_195703050591309_1159787019_n.jpg

972071_195703967257884_949883087_n.jpg

993957_342298962567801_392575844_n.jpg

521615_356070211162540_1333308203_n.jpg

Too many to post here.... But if anyone wants more then look at them here.

• Like 2

Was this during the floods of 2011 or now ?

This morning.

It has also started raining again here, and we have almost 2 days of constant heavy rains forecast.

Wow that is bad.. i remember this from when our moo bahn in Bang Yai was flooded.. almost 2 months.. no fun at all. I hope you dont sustain too much damage.

Thanks for the pictures thumbsup.gif however now in China so cannot view the other pictures you have (bookface banned hear whistling.gif )

Once again thank you, is this water coming down south or will it just run off some place blink.png

From here, the water always makes its way south.

I think this is the tail end of that big storm that hit China about 10 days ago, we usually get the depression come over here from the western Pacific storns that hit southeast China about a week later.

As I write this, the rain is pouring down outside, heavier than last night.

I was working right through the night last night, and the rain was from 10PM and stopped around 9am this morning with varying strengths through the night.

Edited by klubex99

Not sure, but that area was affected...

The closest picture to that district I have is this one. My wife said it is where you leave the bypass just before getting on the overpass and are turning left onto the road that leads to the back of Sima Thani hotel and mall area. But if my memory serves me right, that area got it bad in the 2011 floods.

1069947_4979285122490_989215245_n.jpg

Heavy rains are just going to become more frequent. Weather patterns are changing all over the world.

In Toronto Canada, last week we got 127mm rain in 2 hours, it normally rains 76mm in all of July. 98% of the city had no problems.

In Thailand, it would be wise to invest in some deep ditches , and dredge rivers to carry more water

• Like 1

Money is being spent......... to me totally daft on what and how there helping !!!!

Outside my Village the road to the main road they have been working on it for months.......... tons and tons of sand on top of the road, the some 20 - 30 cm hard core on top of that, still on going and in some places along the 13 km, 3 layer of tarmac on top of all that........ the odd houses and shops along this road there used to be a step or 2 up, now there is a drop down......

So asking the Suits of the Contractors in Thai, is part of the flood defence and is being built as per instructions........

I am not a road builder, but to me is common sense water and sand = sand will wash away, so how will this sort of road/flood defence help ??

when it flooded here in 2011 the water come up, stand on the road outside back then and the water was bubbling up in the tarmac it did not come flowing from somewhere,

This road is not the only road, many road they are doing the same.......... we will see, to me is a total wast of time, effort and money, if there is another flood then the bill will be higher as there will be far greater holes in the road, and deeper water where the water did get held back...

on the other note yes 1 km sounth of my Village, that Village most houses were flooded up to 2 meters deep, can still see today the water line just below the bedroom windows.. places like Tesco Express, CP and 7/11 were torn down and rebuild

Thailand is full of waterway, to me would be far more sensible to work on these + make more ways to get this water out to sea..via bypassing Bangkok, rather than back up the water not to flood BKK but what do I know ?

Guess if the money is spend on something everyone can see even if it is pointless at least everyone can say that is where the money went........... later as per normal, can say we got it wrong and it did not work.

Heavy rains are just going to become more frequent. Weather patterns are changing all over the world.

In Toronto Canada, last week we got 127mm rain in 2 hours, it normally rains 76mm in all of July. 98% of the city had no problems.

In Thailand, it would be wise to invest in some deep ditches , and dredge rivers to carry more water

And to add, the forest that can suck up some water get less

and a lot of surface is closed by buildings and roads.

Roads if a higher are barriers that may hinder the water to flow away.

small swamps, lakes and canals that can take some of the water get filled.

A lot tubes are half blocked with sand/plastic bags/other junk that doesn't rot away.

Everything together results in what is happening.

• Like 2

Thailand is full of waterway, to me would be far more sensible to work on these + make more ways to get this water out to sea..via bypassing Bangkok, rather than back up the water not to flood BKK but what do I know ?

Guess if the money is spend on something everyone can see even if it is pointless at least everyone can say that is where the money went........... later as per normal, can say we got it wrong and it did not work.

The governor tried to clean these waterways with the people in jail and the Army.

The government didn't like that because you can't be corrupt on that.

On everything must be a profit for the decision maker.

Buy pumps --> 10-50 % in the own pocket.

clean the canals with available resources --> no profit.

• Like 1

Thank you Yingluck and PTP for all the effort you have put into flood prevention.

Thailand gets Monsoon rain, it's supposed to flood when this happens. Try and get used to it and stop expecting someone to build a magical hole that drains all the water away.

If the PTT government hadn't made att the promises that it did during the flood of 2011 I'd be inclined to agree

If the PTT government hadn't borrowed 350 Billion baht as an emergemcy loan in 2011 and done nothing with it i'd also be inclined to agree

But they did - so I don't!!!

• Like 2

If the PTT government hadn't made att the promises that it did during the flood of 2011 I'd be inclined to agree

If the PTT government hadn't borrowed 350 Billion baht as an emergemcy loan in 2011 and done nothing with it i'd also be inclined to agree

But they did - so I don't!!!

Tell the posters what amount of money was used and for what ??? lets see if it balanced out---NOT

Yinglucks flood program not going as planned in south Phetchabun, spent all year building this and the first big rains punched two holes in it.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-44176-13746376387481_thumb.jpg

Yinglucks flood program not going as planned in south Phetchabun, spent all year building this and the first big rains punched two holes in it.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is what you get from corruption.. not sure the democrats would have been less corrupt, but the government in charge is responsible for this and that is Pheu Thai. They are without a doubt the most corrupt government Thailand has seen especially if they get those huge loans passed through all other money ever stolen from Thailand by politicians will then pale in insignificance