Cassava location in Thailand

fareastguy

Hi to all reading this post, a simple question really, where I live in Nakhon Pathom (west of BKK) I cannot find any cassava's for love nor money!!

Can anyone tell me where or how to get hold of this elusive tuber & if possible fresh cassava leaves as I have a liking for these as well.

I'm not sure if they are grown seasonally or available all year round?

I understand they have cassava farms here in Thailand but I don't know of any contacts or indeed from any farmers with whom I can make direct contact..

Any help will be very much appreciated.

They grow it in Ratchaburi in the province next to you going west; I would you suggest you take the road to Suan Phueng, the 3208; I was at Huay Mai Teng Reservoir yesterday afternoon, about 25 km along this road, and they were filling up trucks with freshly harvested cassava. Sometimes it is for sale on that road. Alternatively you will probably get it in the main Sri Muang market in Ratchaburi - this is a commercial market selling in bulk but you'll probably find a trader who will be willing to sell a small amount. If there is a similar market in NP it may well be available there too.

Thanks for the replies so far, just to clarify my post I'm looking for the sweet version for human consumption, as apposed to the "bitter" variety used for other purposes. I will investigate the above area in Ratchaburi & trawl around my own neighbourhood, as it's a market kind of town I'm hoping someones growing it small scale in their own backyard.

Thanks for the Thai name as well, that's a great help.

Tell them on the farming forum you are looking for sweet potato as opposed to cassava (mahn sapalang). Although most town markets would have traders selling small quantities of what you are looking for I think, I know mine does, they also fry it cake it, put it in a pie or bake it