Thais need to see many colours aside from red and yellow

webfact

Black & white thinking? lol . . . from what I see, most Thai's don't think at all . . .

"Thai's don't think at all..." You are not unique in using this inane and anything but canny cheap shot. Took you several hours to "think" of it, no doubt.coffee1.gif

Not been here long? Or are your rose-tinted glasses still firmly affixed?

Almost fourteen years and no rose-tinted- I most likely actually know Thais better than you. I mean if you know them as well as you imply then you must hang with them a lot. Then you turn around and dis them in this forum quite frequently. An unpleasant dichotomy in your nature.tongue.png

Me again

Get rid of Thai culture and the negativity it brings, holding back progress in Thailand.

Then there will be a base for political change.

But the present government is unlikely to promote a new education system which lets go of something which maintains the status quo. The status quo which ensures election wins either side of the inevitable military coups.

Good point He probably hangs with them in Bars where people think a little incorrectly a lot of time.

Black & white thinking? lol . . . from what I see, most Thai's don't think at all . . .

"Thai's don't think at all..." You are not unique in using this inane and anything but canny cheap shot. Took you several hours to "think" of it, no doubt.coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

Almost fourteen years and no rose-tinted- I most likely actually know Thais better than you. I mean if you know them as well as you imply then you must hang with them a lot. Then you turn around and dis them in this forum quite frequently. An unpleasant dichotomy in your nature.tongue.png width=20 alt=tongue.png>

He hangs out with those type so he can feel good about himself.

Me again

Get rid of Thai culture and the negativity it brings, holding back progress in Thailand.

But the present government is unlikely to promote a new education system which lets go of something which maintains the status quo. The status quo which ensures election wins either side of the inevitable military coups.

Get rid of the Thai culture. Did it ever dawn on you that many of us enjoy the Thai culture. As far as I am concerned they just think differently than me it works for them so they must be doing some thing rite. Get out of the bars into the rest of the country and you to can see the beauty in it.

If you want the western civilization why are you here. Think about that when you are putting every thing here downwai.gif

• Like 1

Good point He probably hangs with them in Bars where people think a little incorrectly a lot of time.
"Thai's don't think at all..." You are not unique in using this inane and anything but canny cheap shot. Took you several hours to "think" of it, no doubt.coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>
Almost fourteen years and no rose-tinted- I most likely actually know Thais better than you. I mean if you know them as well as you imply then you must hang with them a lot. Then you turn around and dis them in this forum quite frequently. An unpleasant dichotomy in your nature.tongue.png width=20 alt=tongue.png> He hangs out with those type so he can feel good about himself.
Me againGet rid of Thai culture and the negativity it brings, holding back progress in Thailand.Then there will be a base for political change.But the present government is unlikely to promote a new education system which lets go of something which maintains the status quo. The status quo which ensures election wins either side of the inevitable military coups.
Get rid of the Thai culture. Did it ever dawn on you that many of us enjoy the Thai culture. As far as I am concerned they just think differently than me it works for them so they must be doing some thing rite. Get out of the bars into the rest of the country and you to can see the beauty in it. If you want the western civilization why are you here. Think about that when you are putting every thing here downwai.gif
I do not frequent bars.i spend time helping my wife in her shop, doing domestic chores she is unable to do while in the shop and spend time with the family. sorry you cant categorise me.What is Thai culture to you?Wearing traditional Thai costumes? Having festivals? What?I refer to the Thai culture which ensures that people maintain the strict 'I am better than you and you must acknowledge (not just accept) that'. I do not refer to the people, just the environment.A Thai culture which ensures that Thai teachers and schools will not bear criticism as it reflects badly on their 'status'. Students are not encouraged to stretch their understanding by asking questions. They are not tasked to think 'out of the box'. They are expected and expect, to sit in the class and listen to the teacher - full-stop. As a result, students and thereby the country, do not move forward.A Thai culture which ensures that government dictates, via government establishments, take precedence over the family.I thought Thai culture meant the family comes first but I was wrong. Their school only allows my step-daughters to spend time with the family when they can't dream up a reason to keep them at school for weekend 'activities'.So the priority is 'Thai culture', then the family.Any attempt on my part to challenge the school are held back by my wife and daughters. It's just not something you do. So when my daughter spends a whole year at Sacred Heart telling us she doesn't understand teachers and teachers dismiss her questions as 'I told you that last year', I was unable to try to help.She is now redoing that year at a different school thanks to Thai culture.Teachers are gods. Doctors are gods. Why? In the civilised world professionals are respected, but not treated as superior. My children in the UK never had to be subservient to teachers. They were there to learn and teachers were ACCOUNTABLE. Not much here.If you have a rose-tinted view of Thai culture then fine. But while you're enjoying your version, just remember why there is so much uniformity. It comes IMO from expecting to do what you're told. Edited by Noistar
  • Like 2

"Thai's don't think at all..." You are not unique in using this inane and anything but canny cheap shot. Took you several hours to "think" of it, no doubt.Posted Image width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

Almost fourteen years and no rose-tinted- I most likely actually know Thais better than you. I mean if you know them as well as you imply then you must hang with them a lot. Then you turn around and dis them in this forum quite frequently. An unpleasant dichotomy in your nature.Posted Image width=20 alt=tongue.png>

He hangs out with those type so he can feel good about himself.

Me again

Get rid of the Thai culture. Did it ever dawn on you that many of us enjoy the Thai culture. As far as I am concerned they just think differently than me it works for them so they must be doing some thing rite. Get out of the bars into the rest of the country and you to can see the beauty in it.

If you want the western civilization why are you here. Think about that when you are putting every thing here downPosted Image

I do not frequent bars.

i spend time helping my wife in her shop, doing domestic chores she is unable to do while in the shop and spend time with the family. sorry you cant categorise me.

What is Thai culture to you?

Wearing traditional Thai costumes? Having festivals? What?

I refer to the Thai culture which ensures that people maintain the strict 'I am better than you and you must acknowledge (not accept) that'. I do not refer to the people, just the environment.

A Thai culture which ensures that Thai teachers and schools will not bear criticism as it reflects badly on their 'status'. Students are not encouraged to stretch their understanding by asking questions. They are not tasked to think 'out of the box'. They are expected and expect, to sit in the class and listen to the teacher - full-stop. As a result, students and thereby the country, do not move forward.

A Thai culture which ensures that government dictates, via government establishments, take precedence over the family.

I thought Thai culture meant the family comes first but I was wrong. Their school only allows my step-daughters to spend time with the family when they can't dream up a reason to keep them at school for weekend 'activities'.

So the priority is 'Thai culture', then the family.

Any attempt on my part to challenge the school are held back by my wife and daughters. It's just not something you do. So when my daughter spends a whole year at Sacred Heart telling us she doesn't understand teachers and teachers dismiss her questions as 'I told you that last year', I was unable to try to help.

She is now redoing that year at a different school thanks to Thai culture.

Teachers are gods. Doctors are gods. Why? In the civilised world professionals are respected, but not treated as superior. My children in the UK never had to be subservient to teachers. They were there to learn and teachers were ACCOUNTABLE. Not much here.

If you have a rose-tinted view of Thai culture then fine. But while you're enjoying your version, just remember why there is so much uniformity. It comes IMO from expecting to do what you're told.

"Thai's don't think at all..." You are not unique in using this inane and anything but canny cheap shot. Took you several hours to "think" of it, no doubt.coffee1.gif

Almost fourteen years and no rose-tinted- I most likely actually know Thais better than you. I mean if you know them as well as you imply then you must hang with them a lot. Then you turn around and dis them in this forum quite frequently. An unpleasant dichotomy in your nature.tongue.png

Unfortunately the length of time you've been here doesn't necessarily mean that you "know" Thailand or Thai's very well. If you're living in certain areas, you're only exposed to a small segment of the population.

A number of the Thai's that I "hang with" or who work for me all say the same thing . . . that a very large proportion of the Thai's are "sheep" who do not "think" but merely "follow" and do as they are told. It's ingrained. And those self-same Thai's that I just mentioned are equally (if not more) dismissive of their own fellow Thai's. Mind you, they are (on the whole) slightly better educated than the norm here.

I don't see how there is a dichotomy in my nature however. I say it as I see it instead of making excuses or apologizing for them or for the things they do all the time. After all the years I've been here, I still love Thailand and the Thai's (mostly) . . . but I'll be the first to say something when I see something stupid or wrong that they do. Mind you, I'm not married to an Isaan girl so that probably colors my thinking a little.

• Like 2

"Thai's don't think at all..." You are not unique in using this inane and anything but canny cheap shot. Took you several hours to "think" of it, no doubt.Posted Image

Almost fourteen years and no rose-tinted- I most likely actually know Thais better than you. I mean if you know them as well as you imply then you must hang with them a lot. Then you turn around and dis them in this forum quite frequently. An unpleasant dichotomy in your nature.Posted Image

Unfortunately the length of time you've been here doesn't necessarily mean that you "know" Thailand or Thai's very well. If you're living in certain areas, you're only exposed to a small segment of the population.

A number of the Thai's that I "hang with" or who work for me all say the same thing . . . that a very large proportion of the Thai's are "sheep" who do not "think" but merely "follow" and do as they are told. It's ingrained. And those self-same Thai's that I just mentioned are equally (if not more) dismissive of their own fellow Thai's. Mind you, they are (on the whole) slightly better educated than the norm here.

I don't see how there is a dichotomy in my nature however. I say it as I see it instead of making excuses or apologizing for them or for the things they do all the time. After all the years I've been here, I still love Thailand and the Thai's (mostly) . . . but I'll be the first to say something when I see something stupid or wrong that they do. Mind you, I'm not married to an Isaan girl so that probably colors my thinking a little.

Not sure what the reference to 'Isaan girl' means, but it doesn't stop me echoing your sentiments.

The Thai people as individuals are one thing. The population is another.

As you point out, the impression is that they prefer to be led, rather than lead.

All it needs is a charismatic leader who they believe has their best interests at heart, and they'll wander anywhere.

All this is a problem to you and your solution is to make it like where you come from.

I do not frequent bars.
i spend time helping my wife in her shop, doing domestic chores she is unable to do while in the shop and spend time with the family. sorry you cant categorise me.

I refer to the Thai culture which ensures that people maintain the strict 'I am better than you and you must acknowledge (not accept) that'. I do not refer to the people, just the environment.

A Thai culture which ensures that Thai teachers and schools will not bear criticism as it reflects badly on their 'status'. Students are not encouraged to stretch their understanding by asking questions. They are not tasked to think 'out of the box'. They are expected and expect, to sit in the class and listen to the teacher - full-stop. As a result, students and thereby the country, do not move forward.
A Thai culture which ensures that government dictates, via government establishments, take precedence over the family.

I thought Thai culture meant the family comes first but I was wrong. Their school only allows my step-daughters to spend time with the family when they can't dream up a reason to keep them at school for weekend 'activities'.
Any attempt on my part to challenge the school are held back by my wife and daughters. It's just not something you do. So when my daughter spends a whole year at Sacred Heart telling us she doesn't understand teachers and teachers dismiss her questions as 'I told you that last year', I was unable to try to help.
Teachers are gods. Doctors are gods. Why? In the civilised world professionals are respected, but not treated as superior. My children in the UK never had to be subservient to teachers. They were there to learn and teachers were ACCOUNTABLE. Not much here.

If you have a rose-tinted view of Thai culture then fine. But while you're enjoying your version, just remember why there is so much uniformity. It comes IMO from expecting to do what you're told.

Get out of your wife's shop and into Thailand.

The Thai people do not do things to live up to the standards of where you come from. So you think they are wrong. I have a Thai wife and it is very much a family thing. If you don't like the way they teach then home school them that would be doing a family thing. It would not teach them how to socialize with others here in Thailand but that is OK with you as you look down on them any how.

You made the choice to do it the Thai way and not the family way.

Thailand has a lot of room for improvement but all countries do. Where I came from in British Columbia Canada they were still looking for the best way to teach in school. They had not arrived. In Toronto a while back there was a large discussion on weather to have the students wear uniforms.

I originated in the states and they do many things I disapprove of but I do not condemn the culture for it. Why am I getting a feeling that telling you to look at the Thai culture and stop comparing to where you come from or what you want is just a waste of time?

Edited by hellodolly

All this is a problem to you and your solution is to make it like where you come from.

I do not frequent bars.

The Thai people do not do things to live up to the standards of where you come from. So you think they are wrong. I have a Thai wife and it is very much a family thing. If you don't like the way they teach then home school them that would be doing a family thing. It would not teach them how to socialize with others here in Thailand but that is OK with you as you look down on them any how.

Thailand has a lot of room for improvement but all countries do. Where I came from in British Columbia Canada they were still looking for the best way to teach in school. They had not arrived. In Toronto a while back there was a large discussion on weather to have the students wear uniforms.

I originated in the states and they do many things I disapprove of but I do not condemn the culture for it. Why am I getting a feeling that telling you to look at the Thai culture and stop comparing to where you come from or what you want is just a waste of time?

Perhaps I want my step-daughters to be individuals. Obviously you want the Thai people to remain the same.

You appear to have gone native. Why think of improving things when it's easier just to go round in circles?

Is your answer that any Thai wanting to improve themselves should leave their country?

Should Thais be allowed to improve themselves?

So your answer to my example re education would appear to be - let your step-daughter waste her time at school and either fail or get a worthless degree.

I want better for the family. I come from the first world, so yes, I can bring the positive aspects of that with me.

I dislike a pseudo- totalitarian regime when it damages my step-children's future. I am responsible for them and can see what's making problems for the future.

What is your 'Thai culture' definition?

Making everyone equal to the lowest common-denominator is not my idea of being a responsible parent.

If your time in Thailand has resulted in your acceptance of everything Thai, perhaps you need to spend time with your family and put them first for once. Experiencing 'Thailand' has obviously failed to broaden your perspective.

My priority is my family. I can identify the negative issues and wish to help my step-daughters.

I could always say 'whatever', but the problem is I care.

Thai culture is the biggest problem facing Thailand. I await to be convinced otherwise.

• Like 2

I do not frequent bars.

Perhaps I want my step-daughters to be individuals. Obviously you want the Thai people to remain the same.

You appear to have gone native. Why think of improving things when it's easier just to go round in circles?

Is your answer that any Thai wanting to improve themselves should leave their country?

So your answer to my example re education would appear to be - let your step-daughter waste her time at school and either fail or get a worthless degree.

I want better for the family. I come from the first world, so yes, I can bring the positive aspects of that with me.

I dislike a pseudo- totalitarian regime when it damages my step-children's future. I am responsible for them and can see what's making problems for the future.

Making everyone equal to the lowest common-denominator is not my idea of being a responsible parent.

If your time in Thailand has resulted in your acceptance of everything Thai, perhaps you need to spend time with your family and put them first for once. Experiencing 'Thailand' has obviously failed to broaden your perspective.

My priority is my family. I can identify the negative issues and wish to help my step-daughters.

Thai culture is the biggest problem facing Thailand. I await to be convinced otherwise.

And yet you keep her in this culture you so despise.

Dichotomy? Where did the OP take this?

Thais see and live in a very colourful world. White, Red, Yellow, Green, Brown and now Black - all make up their world.

This may be called a Sixotomy, or Sexotomy, or if you prefer - a Lobotomy.

As for myself, - only three things make me see red: people talking on TV of "Thai Culture", "Thai Democracy" and "Thai Crackdowns".

In fact adding "Thainess" to anything worthwhile immediately turns it into a profanity. Anything else is OK here.

Just trying to accept things as they are... Itsonotso bad! tongue.png

I do not frequent bars.

Simple question

What is the Thai culture you love so much?

• Like 1

Thais see and live in a very colourful world. White, Red, Yellow, Green, Brown and now Black - all make up their world.

As for myself, - only three things make me see red: people talking on TV of "Thai Culture", "Thai Democracy" and "Thai Crackdowns".

In fact adding "Thainess" to anything worthwhile immediately turns it into a profanity. Anything else is OK here.

Just trying to accept things as they are... Itsonotso bad! Posted Image

When's Thaksin due back?

Thailand is on the verge of a major change. The population are not ready for it. They have been denied the tools to appreciate change.

I don't see how living in Thailand, being intelligent enough to identify issues and raising opinions can cause such upset.

Obviously some people - red apologists I suppose - are ultra-touchy.

Until the state prevents it, I will continue to have independent thought. I believe it's a right, not a privilege, and I recommend it to the population.

Shame it won't be allowed.

I do not frequent bars.

Is this just another way to say "if you don't like it- go home"?

Just trying to accept things as they are... Itsonotso bad! tongue.png

When's Thaksin due back?

Thailand is on the verge of a major change. The population are not ready for it. They have been denied the tools to appreciate change.

Noistar (quote): " Simple question

What is the Thai culture you love so much? "

Don't you know? Here it comes:

- Keep your head low;

- Face the person you 'wai' or it may convey an opposite meaning;

- Don't touch a monk (especially if you are a woman);

- Always pay respects to any monk - you never know how much gold he accumulated;

- Never confuse 'Sawadika' and 'Swastika' words;

- Do not touch little boys hair ( touching little girls is OK);

- If lady's kids are looked after her parents - they are entitled to another 'sin-sod';

- Anything and everything 'Thai' has a precedence over anything else;

- Whatever you do, - beg, steal, rape, kill, lie, take bribes, - it is your personal way to reincarnation;

- ... I forgot.... sorry, I'm just a stupid Farang...

Now you can live a happy life in LOS. laugh.png

Just trying to accept things as they are... Itsonotso bad! Posted Image

When's Thaksin due back?

Noistar (quote): " Simple question

What is the Thai culture you love so much? "

Don't you know? Here it comes:

- Keep your head low;

- Face the person you 'wai' or it may convey an opposite meaning;

- Don't touch a monk (especially if you are a woman);

- Always pay respects to any monk - you never know how much gold he accumulated;

- Never confuse 'Sawadika' and 'Swastika' words;

- Do not touch little boys hair ( touching little girls is OK);

- If lady's kids are looked after her parents - they are entitled to another 'sin-sod';

- Anything and everything 'Thai' has a precedence over anything else;

- Whatever you do, - beg, steal, rape, kill, lie, take bribes, - it is your personal way to reincarnation;

- ... I forgot.... sorry, I'm just a stupid Farang...

Now you can live a happy life in LOS. Posted Image

Some may call you cynical(!), but i honestly believe that there are positive aspects which would seem to co-exist with my beliefs that Thai Culture, via the education system, is responsible for keeping the population almost brain dead.

Democratic elections would seem to be unnecessary, or at the very least meaningless, where an education system is not geared up to encourage independent thought. Policies would appear to be superfluous as the 'x' on the ballot paper may already be allocated.