Two teachers killed in Narathiwat bombing

webfact

Two teachers killed in Narathiwat bombing
By English News

13746471684399-640x390x2.jpg

NARATHIWAT, July 24 -Two teachers were killed, and another teacher and two police officers were wounded in a bombing ambush in this restive southern province as the army chief visited a nearby violence-plagued area today.

The latest insurgent attack occurred this morning as a bomb exploded at a police car parked in front of Chanae Hospital. The dead, both women, were identified as Ms Naheeha Yeera and Ms Nusayahan A-wae, and both taught at Pithakwitthaya School.

Initial investigation found the explosion of the 12-kilogramme homemade bomb caused a two-feet deep hole and threw off police car 50 metres away from the blast scene.

The injured teacher and police officers were sent to Chanae Hospital, while schools in the area announced their temporary closure amid fears of further attacks.

The incident took place as army chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha today visited army personnel in nearby Yala province to follow up security operations.

Gen Prayuth said investigation is underway to determine which insurgent groups made the attacks during this period.

Thai security agencies and the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) militant group earlier agreed to reduce violence in Thailand's deep South during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan. The attacks, however, have continued in the southern border provinces.

Gen Prayuth noted that during the first 14 days of Ramadan, the number of insurgent attacks decreased year-on-year, but there is yet no evaluation of the overall peace in the region as the fasting period has not yet ended. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-07-24

Spike in violence tests Thai peace efforts

NARATHIWAT, July 24, 2013 (AFP) - A spate of bomb and gun attacks in southern Thailand has left eight people dead including teachers and police officers, officials said Wednesday, despite a tentative deal to curb violence.

Malaysia -- which is facilitating peace talks between the Thai government and Muslim rebels from the region -- announced on July 12 that the two sides had agreed to try to avoid bloodshed during Ramadan.

But after a period of relative calm, violence spiked Tuesday with the deaths of six people, including two police officers visiting a local market to gather intelligence in Narathiwat Province, according to the Thai authorities.

The other victims were a couple in their early 50s shot and killed while driving home and two Muslim villagers who died after gunmen sprayed bullets at a tea shop.

And on Wednesday two female teachers were killed in a roadside bomb blast, while a third was seriously wounded, police said.

An insurgency in the Muslim-dominated region has claimed more than 5,700 lives since 2004 but talks between the Thai authorities and some rebel groups including the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) have brought tentative hopes of peace.

Thailand's National Security Council chief and lead peace negotiator Paradorn Pattanatabut said dialogue with the BRN would continue.

He said insurgent attacks were still down sharply compared with last year's Ramadan.

"I can reassure you that the talks haven't failed," Paradorn told reporters.

"Whenever violence occurred we asked the BRN and they said through the facilitator that it was the work of small, uncontrollable groups who oppose the peace dialogue," he said.

Under the "Ramadan Peace Initiative", Thai authorities have removed a number of roadblocks and the military has withdrawn its personnel from some villages in a bid to ease tension.

After the initial drop in violence, the Thai government raised the idea of reducing troop numbers in the region.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-07-24

Gen Prayuth to follow up on southern situation

Yala, 24 July 2013, (NNT) -- In light of a spate of attacks in the deep South, Army Commander General Prayuth Jan-Ocha has visited Yala Province to follow up on security measures to ensure the safety of residents.

Aside from relaying Prime Minister and Defense Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's policies to the military, General Prayuth told the media that he personally wanted to meet with the local forces to boost their morale, given they have been tirelessly performing their duty during the holy month of Ramadan.

He said that a briefing on the current situation in the South will be held tomorrow, during which security loopholes, suggestions, progress, and recent attacks will be discussed. He expressed his wishes that the meeting would yield solutions to the prolonged violence.

As for the recent attacks in Narathiwat Province that claimed 2 lives, General Prayuth said an investigation would be launched to determine who the mastermind was. He however admitted that there were still insurgent groups that neither shared the same view as nor honored the deal struck by the BRN, which resulted in these attacks.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-07-24 footer_n.gif

Could be wrong, but from the names it looks as though the two female teachers were Muslim. Another sad loss of life.

I have been following news reports since the ceasefire began & it appears the majority murdered so far are Muslim. Some are thought to be business/gang disputes being settled the Thai way.

It is alledged Buddhist civilians are being murdered in revenge for the killing by Thai forces of militants.

More members of the religion of peace, love, understanding and tolerance are killed by fellow believers, justified because they were working at a government school, OR are guaranteed a place in paradise because they died in the struggle, OR some other load of old cobblers.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the Berlin papers in 1942 had articles about the terrorist acts in France. And the Tokyo papers in 1937 detailed all the atrocities committed by the residents of Nanking.

We're getting one side of the story here.

I'm pretty sure the Berlin papers in 1942 had articles about the terrorist acts in France. And the Tokyo papers in 1937 detailed all the atrocities committed by the residents of Nanking.

It's hardly the same. The examples you quote were committed (allegedly) against invading forces.

• Like 1

Murdering teachers or any civilian is an act of terrorism, it is the behavior of cowardly scum. There is no justification for it, it does not matter what your grievance is, murdering civilians is despicable, there is no other side to this story.

• Like 1

It's hardly the same. The examples you quote were committed (allegedly) against invading forces.

Even if I bought your premise that the situation is different, I still stand by my point. We're getting only one side of the story.

From the articles, it appears to be random killings of innocent teachers. Maybe it is. I don't know. But history is full of examples where governments used teachers to rat out their kids and the kids' families, based only on what they hear when kids talk to each other. (The French called that "collaboration" and dealt with it in much the same manner).

And the Japanese were liberators, not an invading force. At least that's what the Tokyo newspapers claimed. Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere and all...

Maybe it is just a bunch of blood thirsty Muslims killing indiscriminately. But I spend quite a bit of time in Muslim sections of Southern Thailand and I have nothing but respect and warm feelings for the Muslims families I see just living their lives. Maybe that's blinded me, but I can't see these same people going on killing sprees for no good reason.

I'm thinking it would be refreshing to hear the other side(s) of the story, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

Even if I bought your premise that the situation is different, I still stand by my point. We're getting only one side of the story.

From the articles, it appears to be random killings of innocent teachers. Maybe it is. I don't know. But history is full of examples where governments used teachers to rat out their kids and the kids' families, based only on what they hear when kids talk to each other. (The French called that "collaboration" and dealt with it in much the same manner).

And the Japanese were liberators, not an invading force. At least that's what the Tokyo newspapers claimed. Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere and all...

Maybe it is just a bunch of blood thirsty Muslims killing indiscriminately. But I spend quite a bit of time in Muslim sections of Southern Thailand and I have nothing but respect and warm feelings for the Muslims families I see just living their lives. Maybe that's blinded me, but I can't see these same people going on killing sprees for no good reason.

I'm thinking it would be refreshing to hear the other side(s) of the story, but I'm not holding my breath.

These scum murdering civilians may be muslims but their actions do not represent Islam. Most muslims would condemn these terrorist actions. Those behind these actions are thugs, murders and terrorists, their religion is irrelevant except their use of it to justify the unconscionable.

• Like 1

''These scum murdering civilians may be muslims but their actions do not represent Islam.''

As someone else so succinctly stated elsewhere in the past, 'Most Muslims are not terrorists, but most terrorists appear to be Muslim''

Sad fact of the matter. As a devout practicing atheist I find the whole business completely ridiculous, just because someone is not Muslim that gives you a right to kill them ? What a load of cobblers !

''These scum murdering civilians may be muslims but their actions do not represent Islam.''

As someone else so succinctly stated elsewhere in the past, 'Most Muslims are not terrorists, but most terrorists appear to be Muslim''

Sad fact of the matter. As a devout practicing atheist I find the whole business completely ridiculous, just because someone is not Muslim that gives you a right to kill them ? What a load of cobblers !

Recommend youi read the PDF at following URL to provide some insights

http://www.defence.gov.au/adc/docs/Publications2012/SheddenPapers12_120306_ConflictinThailand_Nurakkate.pdf

Nobody is claiming that all muslims are terrorists.... However, its strange how all terrorists no matter where it is in the world...... 'are muslims'.

Nobody is claiming that all muslims are terrorists.... However, its strange how all terrorists no matter where it is in the world...... 'are muslims'.

some examples who are not Muslim

FARC in Colombia

Continuity Irish Republican Army

Naxalites in India

other Maoist/communist insurgency groups around the world

Group 969 in Myamar (Buddhist)

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

I agree with you and so do most Muslims.

• Like 1

I thought there was a truce until after the holy month. There you go, the governement making sound like they saved the South

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is a truce in place but only with one faction.

There's a rule I've noticed about news stories involving terrorist attacks (particularly when a certain fanatical religion is involved). Most of the posts try to defend (in one way or another) the "freedom fighters" or terrorists. Actually by my count 7 out of 16 of the posts on here in some way try to defend these creeps or the doctrine used to justify it.

There's a rule I've noticed about news stories involving terrorist attacks (particularly when a certain fanatical religion is involved). Most of the posts try to defend (in one way or another) the "freedom fighters" or terrorists. Actually by my count 7 out of 16 of the posts on here in some way try to defend these creeps or the doctrine used to justify it.

By my count only two posts are not overtly critical of the scum who carried out these murders. My position is simple, terrorists who murder people for any reason are beneath contempt. However just because these scum claim to have a religious justification for their actions, it does not mean they do. Most Muslims are as sickened by these atrocities as non Muslims are.

This may be true. But until I see a muslim demonstration carrying signs saying that muslim extremists should be beheaded, I doubt their fervour.

This may be true. But until I see a muslim demonstration carrying signs saying that muslim extremists should be beheaded, I doubt their fervour.

The lack of blood thirsty protests does not mean that the violence is accepted by the majority of Muslims. It is always a violent minority that call for the extreme measures to advance their cause you are demanding as proof of condemnation of this violence. Those who are against violence tend not to protest in such a manner. Many Islamic leaders and community groups wirldwide have condemned terrorist violence as being against the teachings of Islam. There are always scum prepared to kill for their religion but these do not represent all the followers of the religion concerned and is not confined to Islam. All religions have violent extremists who commit atrocities because they are bigots.

The lack of blood thirsty protests does not mean that the violence is accepted by the majority of Muslims. It is always a violent minority that call for the extreme measures to advance their cause you are demanding as proof of condemnation of this violence. Those who are against violence tend not to protest in such a manner. Many Islamic leaders and community groups wirldwide have condemned terrorist violence as being against the teachings of Islam. There are always scum prepared to kill for their religion but these do not represent all the followers of the religion concerned and is not confined to Islam. All religions have violent extremists who commit atrocities because they are bigots.

Seems like an obvious parallel is with the Catholic molestation scandal. Most Catholics and most priests are not child abusers, but when they go to church week after week and continue to support the church, but don't take concrete steps to stop the sickness, then the religion is tainted. Likewise with the Islamic terrorism problem. The fact that the victims are Muslim is irrelevant, they were collaborating with the "kafir"/infidel authorities and thus are not considered "innocent" by the fanatics.

• Like 1

Seems like an obvious parallel is with the Catholic molestation scandal. Most Catholics and most priests are not child abusers, but when they go to church week after week and continue to support the church, but don't take concrete steps to stop the sickness, then the religion is tainted. Likewise with the Islamic terrorism problem. The fact that the victims are Muslim is irrelevant, they were collaborating with the "kafir"/infidel authorities and thus are not considered "innocent" by the fanatics.

Agreed. The problem is not Islam as such but those fanatics who abuse their faith for their own cause. There are those in the Muslim community who are trying to stop the violence and are horrified by the actions of the terrorist scum. Concrete steps are being taken, unfortunately stopping violence is a lot harder than starting it. I have no sympathy for anyone who murders others for a so called cause, however the actions of a few should not be used to judge the majority, whether it be catholic priests or those who follow Islam.

Edited by Bluespunk

Yet more proof that this is "the religion of peace" like hell it is ,why the different sects just cant just get on with killing each other and leave the rest of us in peace i cant understand.

I assume you are referring to the conflicts in Islamic countries as is not, nor claimed to be a Sunni/Shiite issue contributing to the ongoing conflict in the deep South. Off topic, but...

To this day US/NATO have a military presence in a number of Muslim countries and provide arms and support to the Islamic dictatorships. Also after more than 150 years of armed and political interference in the domestic affairs of Sunni & Shiite countries, I do not understand why Westeners do not expect '"blow back" by Islamic extremists. Hopefully with the lessening of political interference and military support, terrorism against Western targets will subside & the Sunni / Shiites will be left to their own devices to sort out their political & business power conflicts. Highly unlikely with the interest of China and Russia also in play, but you never know....

Edited by simple1