International drivers license (for a Thai driver)

I am going overseas and need to hire a car; they have told me they won't or may not accept my Thai license because it is written in Thai, I need an international driver's license written in English - this info coming from the car hiring company.

I don't have any other licenses, I believe someone who has many licenses is described in English as being Licentious, I am not licentious. Not even a little bit. Sadly.

I had read Soutpeel's quote here:

"Yes you can get an international driving permit ( no such thing as an international license) based on your Thai license, need the following:

A full 5 year Thai DL

Copy of your PP

2 X PP photos

THB 500 odd

I normally do mine at Mo Chit traffic department, typically in and out in 15 minutes and valid for 12 months"

Is this still the same situation or thereabouts? I have the tabian bahn etc etc and a bunch more other info, plus the 5 years license. Should be easy enough is that correct?

You have a 5 year license that is in Thai only? I thought all 5 year license came in Thai and English.

But obviously not, so yes, should be easy enough and with ID card/passport, tambien baan, some money and a copy of your passport you'll be ok. Don't know if they make the passport photos on the spot or if you still need to bring a couple.

Edited by stevenl

5 year drivers license has some English some Thai but if I couldn't read Thai I would not know that the Thai bit is a repeat of the English bit (which is why the rental company I guess said I needed to line up an international license).

Thanks for the feedback, all sounds simple enough!

Edited by steveromagnino

hmmm. Maybe I should just scan the license and show them, if it is written in English then it saves me a trip to MorChit. (Sathanee dtor bpai, Morchit, neck satay-chun Mor-Chit).

I will give that a try and if acceptable, will let everyone know.

Thanks for the heads up.