How to feel like being a cow.

philoux21

I wish my French was as good as your English.

Allow me to echo your ATM rant. Downright infuriating!

...speaking of Saigon, I used to love hitching rides on rice barges throughout the delta - all for the price of a chicken (which the crew would prepare for all of us).

I wish my French was as good as your English.

Allow me to echo your ATM rant. Downright infuriating!

...speaking of Saigon, I used to love hitching rides on rice barges throughout the delta - all for the price of a chicken (which the crew would prepare for all of us).

I think this person wanted to take the rice barge around Vietnam as well

but there was nowhere to park his cow :)

TIT - No customer service ... rude people cutting in line ... no please or thank you ... par for the course

Shame you didn't do a little more research.. The boat, leaving from the pier next to the one you were at, costs 15 baht and run very regularly.

It's a pity this experience has tainted your view of Thailand, it is not all the same.. There are some (a few) genuine people that are happy to have you visit. Just not in the mass tourist areas.

Shame you didn't do a little more research.. The boat, leaving from the pier next to the one you were at, costs 15 baht and run very regularly.

It's a pity this experience has tainted your view of Thailand, it is not all the same.. There are some (a few) genuine people that are happy to have you visit. Just not in the mass tourist areas.

I guess I need time to pass on my Krung Thep experiments. After my first trip in Thailand three years ago (jomtien, chiang mai, and a nice resort in phuket) I started to look at it as a country where we could spend few monthes each year when we will get retired.  

Last Sunday I went to a Kasikorn branch hoping to open a savings account and a fix deposit to get an ATM card and open a relation in case of a condo investment. The lady at the entrance "No mister you can not". They prefer to keep me in the 150/180 ATM fee scam instead of an annual ATM card fee and a 20k thb fix deposit. Looking back I thank them as I am more and more reluctant to come back.

If it ever happens it will sure not be in BKK. And now it will be harder to convince my wife there is a future for us here. 

Maybe Udon Thani would be possible as it is near laotian border and we have family there. But we did not visit it yet and if Farangs are considered like here we will consider Vietnam instead.

What's the issue with the ATM fee? It's been fairly standard practise in Farangland to do the exact same thing.

In Australia (like Thailand) if you use an ATM that doesn't belong to your bank you get hit with a $2 fee. Yes it's a bit more (or less) depending on the forex rate but in essence it's still an annoying fact of life.

Overseas withdrawls you generally get hit with a withdrawl fee (circa $A5), unless your bank is linked with a banking alliance i.e Westpac which has an alliance with a number of overseas banks - if the OP banks with BNP he would be familiar with the "Global Alliance". You also get hit with the Thai banks fee plus your own banks fee plus a foreign exchange fee (that's the worst of them IMHO)

Doesn't make it right, but it should make it an easier pill to swallow.

As for opening a bank account here, generally Thai banks will be hesitant to open an account for a farang on a tourist visa.

Perhaps go to one of the banks at Chaengwattana and tell them you need to open an account in order to fulfil your visa requirements.

I'm not saying it will work, but you'll find one that will. All the usual suspects are there and in the same area so if one says no, you can pop next door and try your luck with the next bank.

I guess I need time to pass on my Krung Thep experiments. After my first trip in Thailand three years ago (jomtien, chiang mai, and a nice resort in phuket) I started to look at it as a country where we could spend few monthes each year when we will get retired.

Last Sunday I went to a Kasikorn branch hoping to open a savings account and a fix deposit to get an ATM card and open a relation in case of a condo investment. The lady at the entrance "No mister you can not". They prefer to keep me in the 150/180 ATM fee scam instead of an annual ATM card fee and a 20k thb fix deposit. Looking back I thank them as I am more and more reluctant to come back.

If it ever happens it will sure not be in BKK. And now it will be harder to convince my wife there is a future for us here.

Maybe Udon Thani would be possible as it is near laotian border and we have family there. But we did not visit it yet and if Farangs are considered like here we will consider Vietnam instead.

Why would you think a girl standing at the bank door would know anything about anything?

What's the issue with the ATM fee? It's been fairly standard practise in Farangland to do the exact same thing.

In Australia (like Thailand) if you use an ATM that doesn't belong to your bank you get hit with a $2 fee. Yes it's a bit more (or less) depending on the forex rate but in essence it's still an annoying fact of life.

Overseas withdrawls you generally get hit with a withdrawl fee (circa $A5), unless your bank is linked with a banking alliance i.e Westpac which has an alliance with a number of overseas banks - if the OP banks with BNP he would be familiar with the "Global Alliance". You also get hit with the Thai banks fee plus your own banks fee plus a foreign exchange fee (that's the worst of them IMHO)

Doesn't make it right, but it should make it an easier pill to swallow.

As for opening a bank account here, generally Thai banks will be hesitant to open an account for a farang on a tourist visa.

Perhaps go to one of the banks at Chaengwattana and tell them you need to open an account in order to fulfil your visa requirements.

I'm not saying it will work, but you'll find one that will. All the usual suspects are there and in the same area so if one says no, you can pop next door and try your luck with the next bank.

As crazy as it sounds, I'd be a little more accepting of the flat 150 baht fee if it were applied across the board to include domestic atm cards. I get that there are many types of fees (exchange rate, not my bank machine, unique bank fees that vary from bank to bank...etc.), but, an additional 'whatever' fee on top of the proceeding....well, it's my first encounter with something like that. Isn't this fee at least a tiny bit different? If not, why does it generate so very much hoopla?

I thought the 150 baht fee applies to Thai banks as well... i.e Use a K Bank ATM with an SCB card you will be hit with the fee but use an SCB ATM and an SCB card you won't be...

Can't speak for all domestic banks, but I've never seen a charge more than 20B.

In my case for 20000 thb withdrawal with a visa the thaï Bank will charge 150 thb. My bank will also charge approx 15 € (ouch) for this 500 € withdrawal. In France (and more precisely within the full EC) you can withdraw 5 times a month in another bank ATM without additional charge (1 € after). Malaysia ATM : 1 RM fee (10 thb) for everybody (Locals and tourists). Vietnam no fee. Thailand 150 thb unless you find an AEON ATM.

I would suggest to € users that would read this post to bring either T/C or big 500 € notes and to change them at Super Rich exchange offices. No fees and the best exchange rate you can find.

I live on the other side of the river from Saphan Taksin and frequently take the boat across the river. Every time, I see tourists who are confused by the lack of signage about what pier to catch the boat to the temples. It is sad that the Bangkok government doesn't provide better information there. Obviously, it is so the private boats can scam those who are confused. If Thailand is so encouraging of tourists, then there really should be more care taken to provide an enjoyable experience rather than scamming and gouging tourists at every opportunity.

• Like 2

I thought the 150 baht fee applies to Thai banks as well... i.e Use a K Bank ATM with an SCB card you will be hit with the fee but use an SCB ATM and an SCB card you won't be...

After reading lots on the subject it appears they are better at collecting fees than any other country I have visited :

Use a SCB card linked to an account in a BKK branch in a Chiang Mai SCB ATM (or whatever district not BKK) and enjoy a fee.

Edited by philoux21

Two weeks ago I saw people on that tourist boat without a ticket and they were asked to pay 40 baht each, ticket valid one day I understood, I still guess that was for a one way whilst the 160 baht is a one day unlimited trips tickets.

Anyway, good you did not reach Wat Phrakeaw (Grand Palace) entry fee for non-Thais is 500 baht whistling.gif

But yes, you are right, staff should have given priority to people having bought a ticket earlier and indeed, they don't care (also my experience two weeks ago, but we were fast enough to get a seat on the next boat.

I hesitated taking an ordinary river taxi, but thought the tourist boat would be more comfortable.