Non-Immigrant O-visa ( dependent) for Filipino

My Filipino mother-in-law recently entered Thailand on a 30 day waiver and has now decided to stay with us and help look after our two kids. She is going to apply for a 90-day Non-O visa on basis of dependent family and we have all the documents in place, ready to go. Last time my wife, also of the Filipino variety, attempted to have her mother's 30 day waiver converted into a Non-O at Chaeng Wattana but didn't succeed and never pursued it as granny had to return to the Phils due to a family emergency. At the time my instinct was CW were being obstructive, unhelpful and giving my wife and her mother the run around. My view is the mother-in-law would be best to go to Vientiane, get her Non-O there, return into Thailand and then go to our local immigration at N Pathom and extend it if she wants to stay after 90 days. Any advice or recent experience on this type of Non-O would be much appreciated. Thanks

If it can be done depends on the status of your wife.

- If your wife is working and has her own extension of stay from immigration, the mother in law can be her dependent, provided her mother is at least 50 years old.

- If your wife is a dependent of you, It cannot be done, as I interpret the rules. The problem would be that your mother in law would be a dependent of your wife who is a dependent of you. The rules do not allow one to be a dependent of a dependent.

Thanks Mario she would be a dependent of my wife as my wife works here and is on a Non-B which is probably in its seventh year of extension.

The problem you had at immigration was trying to do a conversion to a non immigrant visa as a dependent of your wife. Immigration does not do conversions for this purpose. It requires going to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-o visa and then doing the dependent extension during the last 30 days of that entry.

Thanks Mario and Joe. The mother-in-law is off on a border run to VIentiane, Laos on Sunday night; Non-O visa cost, one nights' accommodation, meals and return transport from/to BKK for 3,900 THB. One thing we learned is she needs to bring "certification" from the Philippine Embassy certifying the "dependent" relationship, ie that she is her daughter's mother. WIll let you know how it goes. Thanks once more for your help.

Edited by gerryBScot

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say the mother-in-law got her Non-O dependent visa from Vientiane without a hitch; stamped in for 90 days on re-entry and will extend at local imigration in due course.