Using Thai ATM card overseas

madmitch

I am flying to England this weekend via Colombo. As a result of schedule changes, I now have a night's stopover near the airport. Some local cash would be useful.

Both my UK cards have expired and new ones are awaiting me in England, that leaves my SCB ATM/debit card as my only option to get some money at the airport. It has a Cirrus logo on the back so I would assume it would work. But assumptions for anything to do with Thai businesses are not necessarily a good idea.

So, quite simply, will it work and do I need to contact SCB to get overseas use authorisation?

Definitely get the card authorised for overseas use. I had a nightmare in Malaysia with my new SCB ATM card a few weeks ago. The only money changer had closed early so I thought I'd use my ATM card. No dice.

The next day I received an email from the SCB fraud prevention department asking if I was in Malaysia. So I had no money to pay my hotel deposit and had to wait for the money changer to open in the morning.

I could have stayed in a very cheap guest house but the thought of plywood walls, filthy sheets and a shared bathroom at the end of the hall made me opt for sleeping rough for the night.

• Like 1

I have no experience with SCB but have used my Bangkok Bank ATM card on numerous occasions at various European locations including my home town Great Yarmouth.

i have scb and every thing works well in europ

I have no experience with SCB but have used my Bangkok Bank ATM card on numerous occasions at various European locations including my home town Great Yarmouth.

i have scb and every thing works well in europe i use to take my via bhts back when i am home and make the depossit before i come back (you never know)

KTB another one that has worked fine for me in England, France, US, Singapore, Hong Kong and Macau.

Didn't have to authorise either. The credit card I had to authorise though (after discovering it didn't work on first trip after getting it)

Been using my SCB debit card in UK, Malaysia, Brunei, China for last year with no real problems and no phonecalls prior to travelling. Only small problem I had in Malaysia about 6 months ago when all ATMs spat card out for 2 days. After calling SCB they said it was communication problem between banks...all ok on day 3.

I have used my Bangkok bank card on numerous occasions in England before, also.

take enough usd cash to cover at least your night stop over. i bet you 100 to one that there will be somewhere to change cash at or near any international airport at any time. sometimes atm cards will only work on you second try 24 hrs later. always assume it wont work and think of it as a bonus if it does. always carry a safety stash of travellers checks when travelling.

Edited by banned1000

.. in Malaysia ..

I could have stayed in a very cheap guest house but the thought of plywood walls, filthy sheets and a shared bathroom at the end of the hall made me opt for sleeping rough for the night.

yeah those plywood wall, there real killers. i'd take my chances with the vagrants and drug addicts on the street any night. one of those bathrooms down the hall nearly sucked me into the sewer. never again