Goal: Live In The Us With My Thai Gf And Our Son

I've been reading throught the US govt websites today and some of the past posts here trying to figure out the easiest path and series of steps I should take to make this process go as smoothly and quickly as I can make it go. I feel kind of overwhelmed right now and I'm not sure what paths I should select.

I've had a Thai gf for 4 years now and we have an infant son as well. I'm on the birth certificate. We do plan on getting "legally married" but aren't decided as to whether we will marry here legally first or wait until going to the US.

Question 1: Will becoming legally married here in Thailand make the visa process go significantly smoother and quicker??

Question 2: Given the answer to Question 1, what visa should I apply for to minimize the processing time in getting approval for my son and gf to come with me to the US?

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Your son may be able to acquire US citizenship. See Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship By a Child Born Abroad:

Birth Abroad Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Father: A child born abroad out-of-wedlock to a U.S. citizen father may acquire U.S. citizenship under Section 301(g) INA, as made applicable by Section 309(a) INA provided:

1) a blood relationship between the applicant and the father is established by clear and convincing evidence;

2) the father had the nationality of the United States at the time of the applicant's birth;

3) the father (unless deceased) had agreed in writing to provide financial support for the person until the applicant reaches the age of 18 years, and

4) while the person is under the age of 18 years --

A ) applicant is legitimated under the law of their residence or domicile,

B ) father acknowledges paternity of the person in writing under oath, or

C ) the paternity of the applicant is established by adjudication court.

For different visa categories to consider for your girlfriend, see also Travel Visa To Us For Thai Gfriend.

Question 1: Will becoming legally married here in Thailand make the visa process go significantly smoother and quicker??

Question 2: Given the answer to Question 1, what visa should I apply for to minimize the processing time in getting approval for my son and gf to come with me to the US?

Could someone give me a little advice here? My thread seems to have fallen to page 2 too quickly. Thanks so much.

I guess my main question is this:

Is it easier to get a visa as a Spouse or a Fiancee??? I'm not interested in a Tourist Visa. We want to live in the US.

Edited by FreedomDude

I would think with the involvement of the child that a spouse visa might be better as you can also take care of the child. There should not be that much difference in time required anymore.

Thanks, Lopburi3. I was leaning that way, too. If our child doesn't present enough solid evidence of our relationship, then a marriage certificate can do nothing but strengthen our "relationship evidence" even further.