Hosting on a european server a good idea ?

rubberduck

Living in Thailand, is hosting a website (with most audience in Asia) on a European server (UK, Netherlands, Belgium) a good idea ? Basically the service is excellent, really high quality but regarding the distance is it wise to host a website there ?

Very good question:

thai webpage is faster inside Thailand, but slow everywhere else on the planet and service is often poor.

Europe is faster everywhere else, service is good but slower in Thailand.

leaseweb.com

http://www.hetzner.de/

they feel fast inside Thailand (dedicated servers)

Nowadays it should be OK.

It used to be a problem, where routing to Europe mostly went over the US, being a bit of a detour this resulted in high ping times.

On True Docsis, both the US and most European servers ping the same, around 250 to 300 msec.

Couple of years ago, when on 3BB (Maxnet back then), pings to the US where also 300 msec, but to Europe often well over 500 msec.

• Like 1

I recently made some tests to both my US and EU hosting servers, and the actual download rate was about 150 KB/s from both, not much difference. I can confirm Monty's ping values around 280-300 ms to either location. Of course the routes change dynamically and depending on network problems around the world may change.

If your website is for a Thailand based audience your by far best off hosting it here in Thailand. I get 1.3 MB/s and 30 ms ping from my Bangkok hosting server! wink.png

(figures updated with values for unencrypted downloads/HTTP)

Singapore without doubt.

Same quality and reliability as europe.

Fast to everywhere worldwide.

Sg to us is same as eu to us.

Lightning fast to Thailand, hardly any slower than if it was in Bangkok.

Singapore works as domestic speeds not international....normallu up to what the ISP claims.

• Like 1

Not really. I just tested a download link from Softlayers Singapore server to here, and all I could get was ~50 KB/s (~0.4 mbps).

# wget http://speedtest.sng01.softlayer.com/downloads/test100.zip
--2013-07-30 14:48:16-- http://speedtest.sng01.softlayer.com/downloads/test100.zip
Resolving speedtest.sng01.softlayer.com... 119.81.28.170
Connecting to speedtest.sng01.softlayer.com|119.81.28.170|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 104874307 (100M) [application/zip]
Saving to: `test100.zip'

20% [===============> ] 21,996,313 57.9K/s eta 23m 51s

This is on a 100 mbps dedicated server in the CAT datacenter in Bangkok.

For comparison I tried the same thing from the Dallas DC and got an avg of around 25 KB/s. Not sure how I managed to get 150 KB/s earlier, but I think it probably has something to do with the time of day doing the tests. These test were done in the afternoon, the previous late at night.

If you see full speed "up to what the ISP claims" you're downloading a cached copy from the ISP's seamless proxy.

I have now checked with both TRUE, 3BB and the CAT datacenter in Bangkok. They all confirm there are NO difference in international bandwidth, once it's not national/Thai bandwidth it's international and limited. Obviously as Singapore is closer than, say USA, the ping values will be lower, but that's all. There is a separate link to Singapore, but it is is not more "open" than any other international line.

I have now checked with both TRUE, 3BB and the CAT datacenter in Bangkok. They all confirm there are NO difference in international bandwidth, once it's not national/Thai bandwidth it's international and limited. Obviously as Singapore is closer than, say USA, the ping values will be lower, but that's all. There is a separate link to Singapore, but it is is not more "open" than any other international line.

Softlayer uses ip range of 216s which is assumed in usa by lame technicians. All traffic to softlayer singapore was routed through usa and ended up very high pings before. However my true line was routing normally, it was just tot dsl routing that was problematic.

Thailand has a bigger pipe to singapore and anything hosted in singapore would load much faster than something in europe or lets say, usa.