Building regulations, not likely

seajae

In Surat Thani today we turned a corner shortly after the front of a building under construction had collapsed so we pulled in to see what was happening. There were 3 x 4 story building in a row, all had a free standing concrete veranda/roof above the top floor, these were being held up by 2 to 3" branches lashed together in the middle, they were all bending outwards ready to snap. Unfortunately for the first building it had already happened and the concrete veranda was on the ground with a lot of the front of the building, the front 2 metres was leaning forward away from the columns and ready to drop, the workers were actually still inside the building laughing about it. The second building had workers putting in more 2" branches under the concrete roof/veranda, talk about idiots. There was nothing in the building apart from those pissy little bricks and the columns, all window openings were empty apart from a 2" branch in the middle of them, how in the hell can these buildings be legal, a 10 year old could build a better one with lego. The workers are all stupid enough to be wondering around inside when there was a great probability the rest of the front of the building was going to collapse, same in the second one. Obviously there were no architects involved as there was nothing at all to take any of the strain or to support the building unless of course they went to thew same university as the pm and her brother and paid for their degrees, iut was totally hopeless.

Yes I always like the way the Thai workers laugh at me when I do it "my way" I just laugh back inside calling them wan^ers as they REALLY dont know how to do even the most basic construction work......mix concrete correctly.

• Like 2

I can agree with most of what you say here regarding poor constrution here, BUT, you keep saying they just put "2 branches" in,,, do you mean a brace, or a tom? not sure you know a lot about constrution also? but no supprise coz you managed to turn a poor constrution and lack of safety story here into a PM and her brother bashing story, and proposing a purchace of uni degree's, whistling.gif

• Like 1

I can agree with most of what you say here regarding poor constrution here, BUT, you keep saying they just put "2 branches" in,,, do you mean a brace, or a tom? not sure you know a lot about constrution also? but no supprise coz you managed to turn a poor constrution and lack of safety story here into a PM and her brother bashing story, and proposing a purchace of uni degree's, whistling.gif

I am a tradesman and worked in the building industry for 40 years, when I see shit work I tend to pick out the faults straight away. They used 2'' to 3'' tree branches/trunks as braces and they were in two seperate short pieces that were wired together with an overlap of around 15" to make them tall enough to reach the concrete slab with around 2 plus meteres between each brace. These were holding up the front of a 6" slab of concrete around 20 metres long and 2 metres wide. If these buildings were under the supervision/achitectual design of a registered architect then they would have had to buy their degrees the same way the pm and her brother did, that is a fact. Sounds to me it is you that has no idea about building if you cannot understand the need for bracing in a building that is under construction. The bricks were pulling away from the concrete columns as there was nothing locking them to it, there was no frame work up around the outside of the buildings at all, it was a accident waiting to happen. The fact that thaksin bought his and his sisters degrees is easilt noted, you dont get to be as dumb as dog shit like the pm and get a degree unless you have money although after witnessing all the thai uni students and their lack of brain power it may be more common in a lot of areas.
  • Like 1