Water tank set-up

Sophon

This diagram of a water tank set-up has been posted on the forum a number of times (By Crossy I believe):

post-5469-0-10892500-1375067390_thumb.jp

For our new house I plan to add a filter to the set-up, not the kind that (claims to) improve the water to drinking quality, but just to filter out the major "crunchy bits". Where would that filter go in this set-up? What I am asking is whether the backup direct line from the village supply (for when electricity is out) should go through this filter or around it?

I would guess it is better to go through the filter, but I don't know how much the water pressure decreases by doing so. From what I can see we have decent water pressure, but both bathrooms and kitchens will be on the second floor.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sophon

Ours is in the main incoming line from the meter, no planning on my part that's where the contractor put it.

Nothing to stop the bypass from bypassing everything except getting the crunchy stuff in your house pipework to bung up the shower when the pump s working again.

Our pressure varies from carp to none during the day, at night it gets high enough to fill the tanks and will actually fill the toilets on the upper floor.

Ours is in the main incoming line from the meter, no planning on my part that's where the contractor put it.

Nothing to stop the bypass from bypassing everything except getting the crunchy stuff in your house pipework to bung up the shower when the pump s working again.

Our pressure varies from carp to none during the day, at night it gets high enough to fill the tanks and will actually fill the toilets on the upper floor.

Thanks for the reply Crossy.

So, since your water pressure seems pretty poor, do you have any water at all coming out of the taps when electricity is off?

Sophon

So, since your water pressure seems pretty poor, do you have any water at all coming out of the taps when electricity is off?

During the day the downstairs taps work and the toilet fills albeit slowly, the tanks don't fill during the day the pressure doesn't get the 2m high needed. Later at night the pressure gets up enough to work the upstairs taps and toilets and the downstairs shower.

Have to crank up the genset to shower (cold) upstairs.

We have a tap directly on the incoming supply that Wifey uses with a short hose to fill a small ong for her chillies etc (big stuff gets the hose with water pumped from the klong). I noticed one day that the level in the ong was going DOWN due to someone pumping from the mains, grrrr.