American Style Breakfast?

NCC1701A

Anybody know of a good place for a cheap American style breakfast in Chiang Mai. I am thinking not in a major hotel because it would be to expensive. I am thinking like a omelet of some sort, sliced tomatoes, toast, coffee. Maybe some place small or medium size with maybe outside seating where you can watch the world go by? Or maybe who cares about cost, where is the best place? Thanks.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're thinking cheap--I think you mean inexpensive--the most inexpensive way is doing it yourself. There is nothing to making an omlette....eggs, a little milk, some salt and pepper, a frying pan, a little butter, and a hot plate.

If your're wanting someone to make it for you--it is not quite that cost effective. Most places can make eggs the way you like it, but it is not good value compared with lunch or dinner. What I mean a couple of eggs, toast and coffee will probably set you back at least 120 to 150 baht in a restaurant.

• Like 1

Well if you are looking for "American style" omelette good luck to you. Most omelettes I find here are Thai style. Meaning fried in a pot of oil. Not folded over and stuffed with goodies. I am sure they are available but it will be the exception. If you are considering sausage, be prepared for a hot dog. A small one at that. You would probably be better off as someone has mentioned to make breakfast at home, then go out for coffee and people watching.

Yes Thank You, I should have said outside of tourist areas if possible. I can make it myself, but I like to go out for breakfast. I am thinking inexpensive breakfast so I can do it a lot. And roger that on the funny Thai Omelets.

Edited by NCC1701A

Let's see.. watch world go by... I would put Mad Dog(*) on the shortlist.

( * Yes, the place is a bit more British in focus, but given the OP's description it seems he's looking for value for any good meal resembling an ABF; he didn't sound like a member of the Made-in-the-USA-Or-Nothing brigade, waving the Pepperoni flag. tongue.png )

As an aside, I've had fantastic breakfast items at the little Bread Brasserie / Wawi coffee shop near Nimmanhaemin. Bagel with cream cheese, smoked salmon w. capers and so on. And very reasonably priced, I was really surprised. There's 20% off on Thursday's too.

Here: http://goo.gl/maps/WUN4Z (Off Nimmanhaemin towards the Choeng Doi parking lot.) They don't do a fry-up though, it's more sandwiches, bagels, grilled paninis, etc.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I like Bake and Bite, pancakes with sausage gravy is good and the super breakfast burrito is imo better than the mexican places !

Its located on the same soi Winniethekwai mentioned. Its right at the first speed bump.

Theres another location somewhere around Kaew Nawarat road at the end of some soi.

Oh...and they have real hash browns !

American Breakfast for only 59 baht.... best deal in Chiang Mai.

Don't know the name of the place we just call it the "American Breakfast Place".

https://maps.google.co.th/maps?gs_rn=22&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=3PKZufG3vQf1EGuSL-5ocw&cp=8&gs_id=p1&xhr=t&q=tae+pae+gate+chiang+mai&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49784469,d.bmk&biw=1024&bih=629&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

Starting at Taepae Gate walking or riding NORTH to Soi 7. Turn LEFT. Approx 100 meters. Soi 7 directly accross from the Eurana Boutique Hotel.

For 59 baht you get 2 eggs (cooked to order I normally get scrambled), becon or sasage or ham, toast, orange juice with coffee or tea.

(TV not letting me add map)

post-72466-0-97201900-1375101372_thumb.j

Edited by vacationman
  • Like 1

OP, try Art's Cafe at Thapae Gate, on the corner opposite Boots chemist - try Butter is Better on Chan Klan, 100 metres down from Panthip Plaza on the opposite side of the road - also try Bake and Bite at various locations, the one in Watkate is good.

IMHO, these are indeed the best American breakfasts in Chiang Mai and yes Northlands on Moon Muang soi 7 is the cheapest that I know of.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

OP, try Art's Cafe at Thapae Gate, on the corner opposite Boots chemist - try Butter is Better on Chan Klan, 100 metres down from Panthip Plaza on the opposite side of the road - also try Bake and Bite at various locations, the one in Watkate is good.

IMHO, these are indeed the best American breakfasts in Chiang Mai and yes Northlands on Moon Muang soi 7 is the cheapest that I know of.

Im going to check this place out tomorrow morning. To save me doing too many u-turns... Is Soi 7 the one in Sompet market opposite spicy, near the wooden bridge? Or is it the next one?

Cheers

Funny no one mentioned the UN Irish pub.

Last time I was there we were walking to the car heading west on the same side of the road just down a little ways and we saw a cafe with a menu outside that looked really inviting.

I like a little hole in the wall cafe called Sunie right next door to the Verachie court.

Sorry about the spelling

It is located on a soi that runs from Tha Phae road to Changmoi road. If you are walking on Tha Phae road from AIS towards the moat it would be the first Soi on the right.

The owner cook is not over weight and she learned how to cook in Hawaii from her mother in law. I believe she is the only one in Thailand who knows how to cook fried potatoes properly.

The Amazing Sandwich Shop on Huay Keaew Road has many varieties of very well made breakfast, served all day. My favorite is called the "Washington": bacon, two eggs any style, excellent lightly fried potatoes with onions, toast, OJ, coffee. All breakfasts served all day til 8:00 PM. The sandwiches are great, too. Good place, next door to world famous Soho bar & Guest House.

• Like 1

re

The Amazing Sandwich Shop on Huay Keaew Road has many varieties of very well made breakfast, served all day

hes right ! ... here ya go smile.png

dave2

ps ... a better landmark is

its two doors away from the tmb bank smile.png

post-42592-0-95946600-1375114686_thumb.j

post-42592-0-00833000-1375114723_thumb.j

post-42592-0-77144000-1375114755_thumb.j

post-42592-0-74139300-1375114788_thumb.j

• Like 1

Ok everybody these are some great suggestions. Thank you. I know I said to exclude hotels and to make it inexpensive but is there a great breakfast at one of the many hotels around Chiang Mai? Like the Le Méridien? Maybe a buffet that locals frequent?

Edited by NCC1701A

re

try Art's Cafe at Thapae Gate, on the corner opposite Boots chemist

hes right .. here ya go

dave2

the avocado omelet on the menu looks good. I am from California and eat healthy so avocado, tomato and eggs is a good choice if you are going this route.