American Style Breakfast?

NCC1701A

The big breakfast at Irish UN bar is definitely one of the best. Real bacon, real sausage, nice potatoes, real bread, good coffee, eggs done properly and a nice garden setting if the weather is nice. also, the baked beans come in a seperate bowl so Americans dont have to eat it if they don't want to! (It is an Irish bar after all.....)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big breakfast at Irish UN bar is definitely one of the best. Real bacon, real sausage, nice potatoes, real bread, good coffee, eggs done properly and a nice garden setting if the weather is nice. also, the baked beans come in a seperate bowl so Americans dont have to eat it if they don't want to! (It is an Irish bar after all.....)

With you on that one. The grub at UN is good

My short list:

Bake and Bite

Butter is Better

The Garden (The one posted earlier by CNXTim)

Good Morning Chiang Mai

Breakfast World

The Hideaway

Pun Pun

All in Chiang Mai.

Edited by prism

Best I've found is Butter is Better, on Chang Khlan Road (the Night Bazaar) just south of the traffic light at Panthip Plaza, on your left before you get to the Shangri-La. Big plates of food, they even had scrapple for a while but I think they've discontinued that. And one free refill on coffee (not bottomless!). Also other comfort food like mac and cheese, and a great bakery. It's more than 99 baht, but not by much, with American diner-style booth seating.

While I agree the breakfast is good I do not consider 8 pieces of fried potato's a serving of fried potatoes.

Try their 7 grain bread.

It's firmly in the tourist area, but I absolutely love the breakfast at Ginny Place. A map can be found at the following link. http://www.iantaylor.org/cmginnyplace.html. It is the only place in Thailand I have eaten a breakfast when a touch of milk was obviously added to the eggs prior to scrabling to add a touch of American fluff to the eggs! I can't find any pictures other than those I have seen on Facebook, but I can tell you that I don't leave hungrym the owners are quite friendly and happy! It's cheap, it's authentically American rather than the generic 'ABF' term to describe what is usually anything but an American-style Breakfast.They have Australian and English styles as well! If ya need them baked beans, they have them! .

>> the owners are quite friendly and happy!<<

The Thai wife owner is a miserable old cow though her far younger American husband is a friendly knowledgeable chap .

Edited by anto

If you're thinking cheap--I think you mean inexpensive--the most inexpensive way is doing it yourself. There is nothing to making an omlette....eggs, a little milk, some salt and pepper, a frying pan, a little butter, and a hot plate.

If your're wanting someone to make it for you--it is not quite that cost effective. Most places can make eggs the way you like it, but it is not good value compared with lunch or dinner. What I mean a couple of eggs, toast and coffee will probably set you back at least 120 to 150 baht in a restaurant.

Seems he wants to eat out. You think?

The Thai wife owner is a miserable old cow though her far younger American husband is a friendly knowledgeable chap .

That's quite harsh! I always found her to be pleasant and kind. That being said, I spend some time drinking with said American man rather than her. What kind of experience did you have at Ginny Cafe that would have you speak so negatively about her?

Getting back to the food, you must admit that their food is top-notch, right?

YEAH, Yeah, I know, self praise stinks, but whats a guy to do, when all his former friends forget him ???? whistling.gifwink.png

[besides this is not praise, its promoting]

We have been an ' American Style Restaurant' for over 17 years now and like to think we have real American style prepared food. In other words , breakfast that is food to 'EAT' not take photos of for Better Homes and Garden type mags.

This Breakfast, the Chicken Fried Superman Breakfast is currently only 195 Baht. Other full American Breakfasts at almost half that price.

CFSuper12Jun13.jpg

If you are new to the area, stop by for a chit/chat. Maybe we can help wear off some of the new-ness. In any event welcome to Chiang Mai.

P S Identify yourself with your Thai Visa nic and also receive a 10% discount.

The Pun Pun Guesthouse and Restaurant

G

That's some breakfast G, I think I've gained weight just looking at it!

That's quite harsh! I always found her to be pleasant and kind. That being said, I spend some time drinking with said American man rather than her. What kind of experience did you have at Ginny Cafe that would have you speak so negatively about her?

Getting back to the food, you must admit that their food is top-notch, right?

Maybe she was on her period when i met her the one time .Have never eaten there myself so have made no comment about the food .

There are many around the Thapae Gate area - inside the moat, even more so as the small guesthouses often have b-fast specials too - a cut above and not cheap cheap but surely worth the money is Nice Kitchen and Blue Diamond - both have plenty of choices and the food is always excellent, the environment very pleasant to have that relaxed, b-fast feeling.

Butter is Better has great American breakfast. Build your own with pancakes, eggs, bacon, sasuage, omelette.....best freshest coffee in town. On Chang Klan south of Pantip Plaza 1 block

Edited by thaimancnx

YEAH, Yeah, I know, self praise stinks, but whats a guy to do, when all his former friends forget him ???? whistling.gifwink.png

We have been an ' American Style Restaurant' for over 17 years now and like to think we have real American style prepared food. In other words , breakfast that is food to 'EAT' not take photos of for Better Homes and Garden type mags.

This Breakfast, the Chicken Fried Superman Breakfast is currently only 195 Baht. Other full American Breakfasts at almost half that price.

CFSuper12Jun13.jpg

If you are new to the area, stop by for a chit/chat. Maybe we can help wear off some of the new-ness. In any event welcome to Chiang Mai.

G

Ooh look... a heart attack on a plate

• Like 2

I agree with a previous post that Bake n Bite near Wate Kate is good but the staff allows this one ignorant farang to smoke a cigar there in the garden area.

Speaking of garden, there is a place on a soi near the The Pae gate called The Garden which has a good selection of breakfast sets but nor inexpensive. Even though there is a sign saying No Smoking, I have noticed several ignorant farangs ignoring it and puffing away. The site actually was an earlier Bake n Bite location. Sorry I can't be more specific with the location..

just looked at the sausage king garden restaurant on the web. looks good. that goes in the GPS. thanks.

Try The Wild Boar Restaurant on Loi Kroh Rd. I love their Canadian Breakfast (same as American)! Cost about 140B includes coffee, tea or Juice!

CFSuper12Jun13.jpg

G

Got a weak heart MrFill ?

It is a great breakfast. For me it is a monks meal, only need to eat once a day.

• Like 1

When it comes to what I consider a REAL Southern American breakfast in all its fat-laden gut-bombing glory, I don't think it actually exists in Chiang Mai, or anywhere in Thailand. This is Thailand after all, not America! There are, however, a few places in Chiang Mai that come pretty close to the elusive target. I don't have any new restaurants to add to the discussion, but would like to add my vote to a few that other posters have already mentioned: Bake 'n Bite (the one off Kaew Nawarat), UN Irish Pub, Gecko Garden, Blue Diamond. My favorite is Bake 'n Bite, however it doesn't meet the OP's criteria since it's not what I would call inexpensive. Less expensive are Gecko Garden and Blue Diamond. UN Irish Pub doesn't do what I call a real American breakfast, but I've been able to cobble something acceptable together by ordering a la carte. Again - doesn't qualify as inexpensive! But a nice place to linger and "watch the world go by." When I first moved to Chiang Mai it was my favorite place to go for a leisurely breakfast. After getting a place with a kitchen I mainly would make breakfast at home, but splurge on Bake 'n Bite from time to time.

I am in the States right now, but when I get back to Chiang Mai I'll have some new places to check out!

Angela

CFSuper12Jun13.jpg

G

Yeah, my dad, who was fit-as-a-fiddle throughout his life, loved a breakfast similar to this almost right up until the day he died at the ripe "young" age of 91! Some people can handle it and some can't.

• Like 1

CFSuper12Jun13.jpg

G

Now that's an American's breakfast.

Just missing the donuts and waffles.

I agree with a previous post that Bake n Bite near Wate Kate is good but the staff allows this one ignorant farang to smoke a cigar there in the garden area.

Speaking of garden, there is a place on a soi near the The Pae gate called The Garden which has a good selection of breakfast sets but nor inexpensive. Even though there is a sign saying No Smoking, I have noticed several ignorant farangs ignoring it and puffing away. The site actually was an earlier Bake n Bite location. Sorry I can't be more specific with the location..

The Garden is half way between Thapae road and Loi Kroh road on a small soi - I don't know which one. It is right across the street from the Inter Inn if that helps. The hash browns with salmon is one of my favorites and it has a lot of the same stuff as Bake and Bite (for a slightly cheaper price). It has a very nice garden area too.

Edited by Ulysses G.

American Breakfast for only 59 baht.... best deal in Chiang Mai.

Don't know the name of the place we just call it the "American Breakfast Place".

https://maps.google.co.th/maps?gs_rn=22&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=3PKZufG3vQf1EGuSL-5ocw&cp=8&gs_id=p1&xhr=t&q=tae+pae+gate+chiang+mai&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49784469,d.bmk&biw=1024&bih=629&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

Starting at Taepae Gate walking or riding NORTH to Soi 7. Turn LEFT. Approx 100 meters. Soi 7 directly accross from the Eurana Boutique Hotel.

For 59 baht you get 2 eggs (cooked to order I normally get scrambled), becon or sasage or ham, toast, orange juice with coffee or tea.

(TV not letting me add map)

Northland GH/Hotel

Da's Bakery on soi where Somphet Market is my favorite - good omelettes, wholewheat croissants, coffee (not to my liking so I have tea and get my coffee elsewhere), plate of fresh fruit. A great healthy bakery, moving up the street to larger location.

When it comes to what I consider a REAL Southern American breakfast in all its fat-laden gut-bombing glory, I don't think it actually exists in Chiang Mai, or anywhere in Thailand. This is Thailand after all, not America! There are, however, a few places in Chiang Mai that come pretty close to the elusive target. I don't have any new restaurants to add to the discussion, but would like to add my vote to a few that other posters have already mentioned: Bake 'n Bite (the one off Kaew Nawarat), UN Irish Pub, Gecko Garden, Blue Diamond. My favorite is Bake 'n Bite, however it doesn't meet the OP's criteria since it's not what I would call inexpensive. Less expensive are Gecko Garden and Blue Diamond. UN Irish Pub doesn't do what I call a real American breakfast, but I've been able to cobble something acceptable together by ordering a la carte. Again - doesn't qualify as inexpensive! But a nice place to linger and "watch the world go by." When I first moved to Chiang Mai it was my favorite place to go for a leisurely breakfast. After getting a place with a kitchen I mainly would make breakfast at home, but splurge on Bake 'n Bite from time to time.

I am in the States right now, but when I get back to Chiang Mai I'll have some new places to check out!

Angela

Not that I have traveled all over Thailand but I have been to a lot of them here in Chiang Mai and you are rite none of them have a real Southern American breakfast. But a lot do have real American breakfasts.

What makes an breakfast American?

Must it have heartattack side effects?

Must it just be a lot of food but greasy?

Must the cook be a overweighted individual?

Just curious!

"Just curious" ah?

Remember curiosity killed the cat. Don't be a cat, Wise ass.

The Garden is half way between Thapae road and Loi Kroh road on a small soi - I don't know which one. It is right across the street from the Inter Inn if that helps. The hash browns with salmon is one of my favorites and it has a lot of the same stuff as Bake and Bite (for a slightly cheaper price). It has a very nice garden area too.

Is that the Soi with the segway rental on the corner?