Oil Spillage

Yeh they also forgot about the gulf of Mexico. Its one thing to make massive profits but you'd think they would be responsible enough to take all necessary measures to avoid such disasters. They have like a bunch of cowboys

In all fairness, how well trained will your average Thai supervisor be who's in charge of this. Besides trying to deny that it happened and consequently telling that everything is under control after he notices that people actually do know that it happened, he probably doesn't have a clue.

Edited by limbos

In all fairness, how well trained will your average Thai supervisor be who's in charge of this. Besides trying to deny that it happened and consequently telling that everything is under control after he notices that people actually do know that it happened, he probably doesn't have a clue.

It should be the total responsibility of the oil company.

Gatorade, Call the following oil companies Chevron,Ptt,Salamander,Pearl Oil and if you ask for there HSE department and they have good english language speaker's they will be able to provide you with the information you require on there oil spill response and procedure's.

Gatorade, Call the following oil companies Chevron,Ptt,Salamander,Pearl Oil and if you ask for there HSE department and they have good english language speaker's they will be able to provide you with the information you require on there oil spill response and procedure's.

So you reckon that's where the people were that declared yesterday that everything was under control?

It should be the total responsibility of the oil company.

The interesting thing here will be that it's government (environmental offices/ministries) having to say something about government (PTT). Now how will that pan out?

So you reckon that's where the people were that declared yesterday that everything was under control?

Please read what I said there is no mention that I said any of the people said anything of the sort.

If you read I was responding to Gatorade as he asked if companies drilling in the Gulf have oil spill response plan's. they also have a Singapore company on call for any clean up material and expertise required. Normally drill's are carried out early each year.

Please read what I said there is no mention that I said any of the people said anything of the sort.

If you read I was responding to Gatorade as he asked if companies drilling in the Gulf have oil spill response plan's. they also have a Singapore company on call for any clean up material and expertise required. Normally drill's are carried out early each year.

John, Thank you for that information it's good to know that they have a plan. So what went so horribly wrong at Rayong? Why didn't the plan kick in I wonder?

I am really worried that a spill off Samui will have a similar response along with a pack of lies from the authorities.

If such a thing happened here it would be a total disaster.

• Like 2

John, Thank you for that information it's good to know that they have a plan. So what went so horribly wrong at Rayong? Why didn't the plan kick in I wonder?

I am really worried that a spill off Samui will have a similar response along with a pack of lies from the authorities.

If such a thing happened here it would be a total disaster.

I don't know what happened at Rayong only that it was a mooring discharge point and 3 of the above companies where not involved. Ptt might be don't know. Even though all the oil companies have plan's in place and practice and have good intention's and spend a lot of money on storage of this response equipment in Satthip. Chevron has been shipping oil for over 15years not far from Samui and no disaster yet. The biggest concern I would say out there is the single hull floating storage and processing ship some are very old, yes they get checked but still only single hull and when a tanker dock's it could rip a hole. As for drilling my take is we are in shallow water and yes you might get a small spill one day but that's the price we have to pay.

Been following the news about the oil spill after we returned to Denmark this Sunday and those pictures up at Koh Samet sure does not look nice.

It's also in the local newpapers here in Denmark, which might scare off future tourists.

Hope it's not as bad as it looks and they get things cleared up without to much damage at their corals and marine life, but sounds like the oilspill is bigger than what the company says, when we have a look at the airial pictures.

Hopefully this will never happen to Samui or any other place in the world, but as long as we drill for oil, accidents will always occur once in a while.

Sad that we haven't found a better,cheaper and safer way to power the world.

I noticed several signs this year on Samui, Saying stop oilrig near Samui and vote no.

Hopefully the government will rethink the planned oilrigs in the gulf.

Is there any online website up where we can log onto and vote no?

Or are such polls useless in Thailand, no matter how many votes no?

Been following the news about the oil spill after we returned to Denmark this Sunday and those pictures up at Koh Samet sure does not look nice.

It's also in the local newpapers here in Denmark, which might scare off future tourists.

Hope it's not as bad as it looks and they get things cleared up without to much damage at their corals and marine life, but sounds like the oilspill is bigger than what the company says, when we have a look at the airial pictures.

Hopefully this will never happen to Samui or any other place in the world, but as long as we drill for oil, accidents will always occur once in a while.

Sad that we haven't found a better,cheaper and safer way to power the world.

I noticed several signs this year on Samui, Saying stop oilrig near Samui and vote no.

Hopefully the government will rethink the planned oilrigs in the gulf.

Is there any online website up where we can log onto and vote no?

Or are such polls useless in Thailand, no matter how many votes no?

Before you come and vote NO to something that has nothing to do with you. Have you voted to stop drilling in the north sea by Denmark and the company Maersk oil.

It's only a matter of time before we see a similar disaster on these shores - practically impossible to stop "progress".

Thats true Jose but it is possible for the government to levy enotmous fines on the greedy oil companies if the are seen to be acting like cowboys and not taking all the correct safety measures.

You can't stop drilling because the world needs oil, thats just not a realistic point of view, but everyone has the right to expect that the oil companies take appropriate safety measures.

No ones wants to see the disaster and shambolic aftermath caused by that BP rig in the Gulf of Mexico

Edited by carmine

Before you come and vote NO to something that has nothing to do with you. Have you voted to stop drilling in the north sea by Denmark and the company Maersk oil.

So just because i'm a tourist who only visit Samui maybe 1 or 2 times a year i'm not allowed to worry about Samui and it's future?

And no i didn't vote no to Maersk drilling for oil in the North sa.

I'm born in 1968 and Maersk started drilling for oil in the North sea in 1962.

I just hope that Samui will never experience what Koh Samet had to struggle with the last week.

Is that so wrong?

The problem is that your worries about and efforts to stop oil pollution are in vain, as long as your yearly visit to Samui is via plane and not per sailboat or bicycle.