Does anyone know what part of Chiang Mai Marc Farber lives in?

NCC1701A

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks got it.

my logic here, and I may not be correct, is I wanted to see where I could live in Chiang Mai if money was no issue. So I am thinking Mr. Farber might be in a nice area.

That's actually a very interesting question, more so than where some dude lives. Anyone could have all kinds of reasons to live somewhere; some people with all the money in the world would not want to live inside the city for their Chiang Mai residence. Potentially the whole point of a Chiang Mai residence would be for it to be away from it all.

Not sure if this requires a separate topic, but if money was no object then I'd get a nice plot smack in the middle of the old town. Along the river sounds nice, but you have to deal with occasional flooding and dampness and so on. (Your house would be more than tall enough, but you still need to get there through potentially flooded streets.)

Of course, the thing with getting absolutely top land is that money will ALSO not be an issue to whoever owns it. Still, you should be able to acquire(*) a nice plot in the old town, potentially from multiple owners. (*)Ownership issues aside; details are beyond the scope of this discussion.)

Let me state that again, or once again we're having someone not reading properly and going "boohoo you can't own .. yada yaaaa barf poor me another one." : *Ownership issues aside* Details are beyond the scope of this discussion!

I'd actually get several places; at least a pied a terre downtown, meaning inside the old city. (But that's me; some people -who are not me- like Nimman.) And something nice in the hills, on the Samoeng Loop probably.

I'm somewhat on the way of achieving that actually.. Okay it's not inside the moat but very near it (can walk), and we have something outside with nice moutain views.. (Just the land though). And all of that didn't take immense sums of money.

Maybe that's an attraction of Chiang Mai: also with modest means you can get pretty close to what people would get when money is no object.. Can't do that in New York.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun NCC1701A,

After reflection, I wish to apologize for my first response to you, which I think was "unkind," and inconsiderate.

I have reported that first response to the moderators, and asked them to remove it.

Asking where a good neighborhood is to live, here in Chiang Mai, where to look for certain types of housing, are certainly frequent topics here: while you may have asked that question in a rather "oblique" way, I think you deserve reasonable replies.

imho, to give a reasonable reply to such a question, I would need a little more information about the type of lifestyle you wish to lead, what your needs, and preferences are.

You could be in one of the most beautiful, and expensive, condos, or whatever, in Chiang Mai, and still be "driven crazy" by the sounds of construction during the day, or howling packs of dogs at night, or neighbors-from-hell who karaoke drunkenly at top-volume into the wee-hours.

On the other hand, you might enjoy living in the midst of the busy, crowded, Nimmanheiman area, or be bored out of your wits living in the 'burbs.

good luck, ~o:37;

I knew, and often photographed, a Marc Faber in Hongkong in the nineties. He was a financial industry expert whose nickname was Dr Doom because he took a much more realistic, pragmatic view of the markets than that of many of his more excitable, manipulative colleagues. Might be the same guy?

I knew, and often photographed, a Marc Faber in Hongkong in the nineties. He was a financial industry expert whose nickname was Dr Doom because he took a much more realistic, pragmatic view of the markets than that of many of his more excitable, manipulative colleagues. Might be the same guy?

Yes the same man Dr Mark Faber the contrarian investor.

• 5 months later...

thanks got it.

my logic here, and I may not be correct, is I wanted to see where I could live in Chiang Mai if money was no issue. So I am thinking Mr. Farber might be in a nice area.

That's actually a very interesting question, more so than where some dude lives. Anyone could have all kinds of reasons to live somewhere; some people with all the money in the world would not want to live inside the city for their Chiang Mai residence. Potentially the whole point of a Chiang Mai residence would be for it to be away from it all.

Not sure if this requires a separate topic, but if money was no object then I'd get a nice plot smack in the middle of the old town. Along the river sounds nice, but you have to deal with occasional flooding and dampness and so on. (Your house would be more than tall enough, but you still need to get there through potentially flooded streets.)

Of course, the thing with getting absolutely top land is that money will ALSO not be an issue to whoever owns it. Still, you should be able to acquire(*) a nice plot in the old town, potentially from multiple owners. (*)Ownership issues aside; details are beyond the scope of this discussion.)

Let me state that again, or once again we're having someone not reading properly and going "boohoo you can't own .. yada yaaaa barf poor me another one." : *Ownership issues aside* Details are beyond the scope of this discussion!

I'd actually get several places; at least a pied a terre downtown, meaning inside the old city. (But that's me; some people -who are not me- like Nimman.) And something nice in the hills, on the Samoeng Loop probably.

I'm somewhat on the way of achieving that actually.. Okay it's not inside the moat but very near it (can walk), and we have something outside with nice moutain views.. (Just the land though). And all of that didn't take immense sums of money.

Maybe that's an attraction of Chiang Mai: also with modest means you can get pretty close to what people would get when money is no object.. Can't do that in New York.

did same... live outside and small pied a terre in city for odd nights when out drinking etc. really nice having two places

Hello, could anyone post the link to that infamous map of the Faber residence? I was not able to find it via the search function. Thanks!

Don't worry, Marc - Google maps has already blacked out your house from street view.

thanks got it.

I believed that money is an issue with him. He said comparable to the life style you now enjoy. Nothing about jet setting around the world first class living in 5 star accommodations.

If money was not an issue I would have several houses located around the world all fully staffed so if I just arrived they would be ready to stay in. No cleaning needed as the maid would have that done and no food needed to be bought as the cook would have that already. No need to notify them of my coming. The car would be fully fueled and clean by the driver. Of course the garden would be in immaculate beautiful condition.

Now where Well Chiang Mai, One in the states maybe two there one in Canada maybe two there also. One in Mexico another in some other South American country. Perhaps one in Spain or Portugal. Bali for sure. Maybe Australia or New Zealand.

To many choices. I guess that is why money is an object.whistling.gif

^ I'd have an underwater lair with submarines and sharks with lasers. It would be deep inside in an artificial lake, and the artificial lake would be in the middle of an artificial island within another artificial lake. And there would be a chocolate waterfall. Where my herd of ponies would drink.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

^ I'd have an underwater lair with submarines and sharks with lasers. It would be deep inside in an artificial lake, and the artificial lake would be in the middle of an artificial island within another artificial lake. And there would be a chocolate waterfall. Where my herd of ponies would drink.

Would the chocolate waterfall be sugar less?

milk or plain?

I'd have a permanent young female masseuse w00t.gif

but we might be veering off topic lol

The same but my lakes wouldn't be artificial and your forgot the jugglers

milk or plain?

I'd have a permanent young female masseuse w00t.gif

but we might be veering off topic lol

I don't think we are far off of it. The OP left the door open for talking about money no object.

I think he didn't really mean it.tongue.png

The same but my lakes wouldn't be artificial and your forgot the jugglers

Darn I missed that one.sad.png