English language school for adults

Paangjang

I'll soon be signing up for a 1 year Thai language course with ED visa. At the same time, Mrs. Paangjang has decided that she would like to enroll in an English language program. Can anyone recommend a school.

Preferebly evening lessons as she works until 6pm although open to any rocommendations.

The only school here i know of avaliable to adults is AUA.

Thanks

Edited by Paangjang

Cant answer your question but maybe you can answer mine?

Whay school are you going to? What is the price and course load? Im new to Thailand and really in need of some thai language skills...

Sent from my GT-I9500

Whay school are you going to? What is the price and course load? Im new to Thailand and really in need of some thai language skills...

Sent from my GT-I9500

Im signed up for Easy study Thai @ Pantip plaza. It's 21,000B for the year. I can't recommend them as i haven't started the course yet. I previously studied at Walen in Phuket, i would certainly never recommend Walen school. The teachers in Phuket seemed more interested in which teacher i thought was the best looking or whether i wanted to take them out for dinner or not... Very unprofessional and lacked in teaching skills.

Nobody here have a Thai wife or girlfriend studying English in Chiang mai?

AUA, British Council, YMCA, Nava, Australian Center, New zealand center. There must be at least 20 language schools in the area.

Really before giving a recommendation, need to know what level, what skill set, what goals does your wife have for the class. Most places will just do communicative approach and lack any structure.

LICMU is a definite stay away from. I hold a grudge a long time. Personally I don't trust a school that says when you sign up that they can cancel the class at anytime and not refund you.

Depends on what your Thai wife knows about the English language.

I went to AUA when I first got here I was about a week off the plane and I signed up for the beginners class. Turned oout to be more of a grammar school. They were trying to teach me grammar in a language I couldn't speak. Plus there was about 10 of us in the class several had taken the course before and the rest had lived here for 6 months up to a year.

I don't know if that is the same procedure in the English class. But it sure didn't help me.

My wife says go to the YMCA.

• Like 2

Sent from my GT-I9500

Im signed up for Easy study Thai @ Pantip plaza. It's 21,000B for the year. I can't recommend them as i haven't started the course yet. I previously studied at Walen in Phuket, i would certainly never recommend Walen school. The teachers in Phuket seemed more interested in which teacher i thought was the best looking or whether i wanted to take them out for dinner or not... Very unprofessional and lacked in teaching skills.

Nobody here have a Thai wife or girlfriend studying English in Chiang mai?

My wife teaches english here in Hang Dong PM me if your wife is interested ..... She also teaches Thai ..... The school at Pantip is good but I prefered YMCA ......

I liked AUA, after taking 4-5 classes there. The teachers were very good and enthusiastic, but once class was over it was pretty obvious they wanted you to leave. :) Or they wanted to go home; ah, it never bothered me. It might be a little pricey (4800 baht per thai class, sorry not sure what the English classes were), but I do recommend the thai classes. my 2 cents on the English classes; unless you plan on living in the UK or Australia, I would get an American teacher. I also think you can go for free for one day, to see if you and the teacher are a good match. some people don't like their teaching style, but learning a language is very hard and you need to study on your own to really learn. teachers can't do it all. ok, done rambling....hope this helps.

^^hellodolly...

EXactly my experience.So True.

I too recommend YMCA, I've recommended it to several Thai learners who enjoyed the learning flow.

AUA Thai classes usually have many farang who've studied the language before and return to monopolize the classes with the tutors directing their efforts towards them, thus leaving the beginners behind.

If your wife is working to 6PM, studying evenings can test the best fortitude. Study one day with a break the next.

All the best...

Thanks very much for all your imput guys. My wife spoke to YMCA on the phone. They seem to have most reasonable prices and are also very relaxed on which classes you attend. You can attend the morning lessons this week then the evening lessons next week, then mix morning with evenings the next or whatever your schedule allows for.

I think we'll give them a go. They do a free review and trial sit in lesson also.

Thanks