Info wanted, golf in Chiang Mai

bprhodes

I will be in Chiang Mai in a few days, and plan on being in CM off and on over the next 1-3 years (we'll see how it goes). My favorite activity is playing golf. I am an 8 handicap and plan on playing 1-3 times per week when I am in town (any day). I would like to hear any opinions about which courses to play, short memberships that might be cost effective, or any other ways to get the most from your baht.

Also, if anyone would like to meet up with me for a match, shoot me message. I'll be in Chiang Mai August 4-17, 2013.

Also, and I know this is off topic, I am looking to rent a condo in Chiang Mai for the next year that is small (studio), but nicely furnished, and on the west side (since I have frequent business at CMU). I am sick of hotels...however nice.

Check out these links. As a 'visitor' you will be paying a higher rate but prices are still fairly good. Best deal would be Gold Canyon @800B, Inthanon is a resident only special. Alpine or Highlands will be the upper echelon courses, but be forewarned, Alpine 'holds' a lot of moisture and areas can get soggy in the rainy season. Royal will be very quiet, Green Valley is usually fairly busy. With you being an 8 handicap I'd recommend giving Lanna, Hang Dong, Gymkhana and maybe Stardome a pass. Although the range at Stardome is very good. The CMSG and Sanuk-Sabai welcome guests and you would get a guest rate accompanied by a member.

http://chiangmaigolfcourses.com/blog/index.php

http://www.chiangmaigolfers.blogspot.com/

http://chiangmaisanuksabaigolfers.blogspot.com/

Chiang Mai Highlands about 40mins from town is one of my favourite courses in Thailand. Good challenge for an 8 handicapper and nice scenery. Can be expensive but best to call ahead to see when they have specials on

If you go to Chiang Rai, Santiburi is also a lovely course but is relatively short.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm moving up to the CM/Lamphun/Lampang area. I'm looking for the best value golf in the area.

I like to walk the course and carry my own bag.

If i have to have a caddie out there, I guess he can carry my beer :)

Please nothing over 1000B.

A friend said he played on a 9 hole course in CM for 100B. Anyone know of a course like that?

Thanks in advance.

I'm moving up to the CM/Lamphun/Lampang area. I'm looking for the best value golf in the area.

I like to walk the course and carry my own bag.

If i have to have a caddie out there, I guess he can carry my beer :)

Please nothing over 1000B.

A friend said he played on a 9 hole course in CM for 100B. Anyone know of a course like that?

Thanks in advance.

Closest to where you will be locating is Gold Canyon and Inthanon courses both currently under 1000 if walking although a Thai driving license is required at Inthanon, these prices will not last long,end of October maximum,and you have to have a caddy. All the othe 18 hole courses are much more and will almost double in the high season.

There are no 9 hole courses here for 100baht.

The cheapest is Sand Creek at 220baht for 18 holes. The course is run by the caddies so please use one or add a few baht as they will not insist on players using a caddy as any business is acceptable to keep the course running.

Nearly ALL of the courses will be overrun by Koreans and Japanese from November to March.

• 2 weeks later...

I played Lanna a few times last April. Yeah, hot as hell but dry as the desert. Course very good, considering. Consider location, only minutes from downtown CM = low trans cost. Green fees, 18 holes under TB1000 + caddy fee. Some days cheaper. Good condition, esp greens and not too crowded. Total 27 holes, you choose your 18. Portion of course transected by horse track, interesting shot off the horsey turf. Has driving range, lots of golf shops across street. Sure i could have played Alpine at TB4500 + caddy+ trans costs + beer @ TB250! Who needs it. When i want the best I'll go to Cape Kidnappers or Bandon Dunes.