Thailand: North floods 'caused by lack of drainage'

webfact

North floods 'caused by lack of drainage'
The Nation

30211580-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- DR ROYOL CHITRADON, director of the Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute (HAII), yesterday said the flooding in the North resulted from insufficient water-drainage channels, and also warned people in the Northeast to brace for the arrival of Tropical Storm Jebi in the next two to three days.

Citing his recent visit to flood-hit Nan, Royol said the inundation resulted from people building roads without drainage ways - possibly due to a lack of funds or proper planning - while forestland was taken for agricultural use, leading to a lack of water-retention areas.

Royol said the key factor behind the floods wasn't the rain itself, but mismanagement of land usage. While flooding was a seasonal phenomenon in the North, the bigger issue was land subsidence due to poor drainage, he said.

Jebi is being closely monitored by HAII and related agencies, he said. It was is to bring more rain to the Northeast and East as well as the upper North. As a result, the Northeast would have plenty of water and not suffer severe drought this year as previously feared.

In Rayong, Royol said gusty winds would deter ongoing efforts to eradicate oil slicks as wind would spread the oil further. He urged the situation be speedily dealt with.

Army Region 3 yesterday dispatched 15 boats and 30 trucks to aid flood-affected people in Tak's Mae Sot district, which remains submerged. Mae Ramad district saw Ban Wang Pha in Tambon Mae Jara resemble a large pond due to high floodwaters. In Kanchana-buri's Sangkhlaburi district, the Royal Thai Army's Mobile Develop-ment Unit 11 officers with heavy machines helped dig flood-drainage channels, clear landslide spots and aid locals' evacuation from rising floodwaters.

With a large volume of runs-off expected, Uttaradit's Sirikit Dam director Thanarat Phummakasi-korn said the dam and Tak's Bhumibol Dam could each take 6 billion cubic metres of water. Both facilities could slow their water releasing to prevent flooding in downstream areas, Thanarat said.

In Ranong, Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department officials were instructed to watch out for landslides following several days of heavy rain.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-01

Government will blame this on the opposition for bringing their flood prevention project to the court and got it suspended. If you want flood prevention, just tell the opposition and the court to stop intervening and approve our 350,000,000,000 THB water management project now, as it is clear that "we" really "need" this project. whistling.gif

Just in case you were absent that day in school:

1) Water is wet. 2) Rain falls from the sky. 3) water flows from higher levels to lower levels. 4) the direction of flow is down. 5) The sky is blue and 6) it is an unprecedented situation to have rain fall from the sky and cause flooding.

I wonder if the Thai ministers don't look at the old architecture of the Northeast and wonder why these silly people built their houses on sticks instead of putting them right on the ground. HMMMMMM.

Get the hint?

• Like 2

We need a study to examine the plan which was devised to forecast the expected to mitigate the unexpected annual rainy season. This study must have the date promently displayed on the front cover so that it can be easily changed from year to year. smile.png

Mr Royal's quoted statement of 'lack of drainage' may be a misquote. The drainage is probably the same as several decades ago, its the volume of water, from runoff that has increased. The mention of building, concrete, etc in the article are approaching the root cause of the problem. Add in a population density increase and poor planing for any of the frementioned causes and you might find a starting point, for a solution.

The big problem is the photo sessions only allow for one figner being pointed and to solve the problems they need to have a multitude of fingers pointing in several directions. Somchi, Dang, Nok, etc have all contributed to the problems in their own little way, which is ten times worse than the individuals who screwed up intially.

Can't this lack of drainage, and heavy rain be affixed to a culprit? Say the man in Dubia? biggrin.png

I would think so and wonder why are hardcore TV yellow brigade have let this post go so far already?... Lazy. or perhaps those ads for Alzheimers are prescient..

possibly due to a lack of funds or proper planning

Do ya think??? I mean, there isn't a Thai above the age of 5 who doesn't know that a minimum of 30% of ANY project goes into the pockets of someone, so that could be part of the prolem of "lack of funds".

And as for "proper planning"? For Thai??? cheesy.gif

The country's going under concrete at a rapid pace. Where's all the rainwater supposed to be absorbed?

Didn't Yingluck come up to the North country two years ago and order reforestation in three months?

Interesting how for hundreds of years people had no problem with the floods as they built their homes on posts up above the flood waters. Now they have problems with floods and can't figure out why.

Can't this lack of drainage, and heavy rain be affixed to a culprit? Say the man in Dubia? biggrin.png

I would think so and wonder why are hardcore TV yellow brigade have let this post go so far already?... Lazy. or perhaps those ads for Alzheimers are prescient..

You might want to back off on that Alzheimer claim. It has been several years since they have had any power. Now a days the only one's talking about them are the one's who can not see what is happening. So they continue to fight the mythical dragons.

There are many groups as well as non affiliated people who are anti government.Two more years of Government inept bungeling and you will start to see red shirts with white masks. Yes the red shirts are not educated but four years of abuse and they will realize that they have been used for the benefit of others.

Government will blame this on the opposition for bringing their flood prevention project to the court and got it suspended. If you want flood prevention, just tell the opposition and the court to stop intervening and approve our 350,000,000,000 THB water management project now, as it is clear that "we" really "need" this project. whistling.gif

If it would have be well planed and not full of corruption (or the corruption would have been equal shared crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif ) it would be stopped.

If it would have be well planed and not full of corruption (or the corruption would have been equal shared crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif ) it would be stopped.

Thanks to the newly built anti-flood barriers & levees…worst flood in 40 years a local said yesterday.

i get the point , all i see is farmers trying to keep as much water as possible to irrigate their lands

our village is flooded any way once or twice evry 4 years .luckily my house is on a hill so gonna prepare for the family to stay my place for a while

• Like 1

Just in case you were absent that day in school:

1) Water is wet. 2) Rain falls from the sky. 3) water flows from higher levels to lower levels. 4) the direction of flow is down. 5) The sky is blue and 6) it is an unprecedented situation to have rain fall from the sky and cause flooding.

I wonder if the Thai ministers don't look at the old architecture of the Northeast and wonder why these silly people built their houses on sticks instead of putting them right on the ground. HMMMMMM.

Get the hint?

Maybe they think that sort of house makes it more difficult from stealing from each other. They forgot about the water and the buffalo.

...Royol said the inundation resulted from people building roads without drainage ways...

People building roads? What, as opposed to a well organised, efficient and expert led construction team?

I suppose it saves on those pesky building and labour costs. thumbsup.gif

Well, I am surprised.

Edited by arthurboy

...Royol said the inundation resulted from people building roads without drainage ways...

People building roads? What, as opposed to a well organised, efficient and expert led construction team?

I suppose it saves on those pesky building and labour costs. xthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ic.ysn6H7pBDU.we alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

Well, I am surprised.

The roads are the drains.....cheesy.gif