Thailand and the Vietnam War

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one for you......Pattaya, 1971. ( no sound ).

Sattahip, 1970.....

Go to 2:38 on that second clip, he talks about Thailand being the Hub of Asia.

The Hub???

Gawd some things never change. coffee1.gif

tell me a bout it, that german guy in the pool in the first video still has his towel on the lounger

Here's an interesting series......U-Tapao Munitions, Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd9Zb8JVXCg

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wiJMc5Z3_M

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o8exLFWUy4

U-Tapao Bomb dump 1970

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-2SjZ5rgL0

All those videos were posted by Bill Miller on behalf of the U-Tapao Alumni Association.

At this link is a A-26 Assault Dive Bomber (that is what I call it) Modified WWII B-26 Bomber - outfitted with 8 .50 Cal. Machine Guns in the nose, and able to carry an ample bomb load... they flew out of Takjli under the CIA and later by the Air Force at NKP - also equipped with night flying electronics they were used to run up and down the Ho Chi Minh trail ... but they didn't exist you know...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97406131@N05/9441742557/in/set-72157634943693778

(Sorry for the Link - I cannot master getting a photo to post on the TVF ... I can in PM mode - it is easy but not sure the difference)....

Guys, I don't have so much free time on my hands, so I am catching up slowly.

I am at post #14 Thailand's role in the Vietnam war, now.. Keep it up! Very enjoyable and interestingthumbsup.gif . CMK would have been a productive addition...whistling.gifwink.png

Edited by Dancealot

Guys I dont have so much free time on my hand so I am catching up slowly.

I am at post #14 Thailand role in the vietnam war now.. Keep it up! Very enjoyable and interestingthumbsup.gif . CMK would have been a productive addition...

Don't worry DAL, you've only got about 60 articles to read and 120 videos to watch. You'll catch up in about three years. smile.png

I am at post #14 Thailand role in the vietnam war now.. Keep it up! Very enjoyable and interestingthumbsup.gif . CMK would have been a productive addition...

Don't worry DAL, you've only got about 60 articles to read and 120 videos to watch. You'll catch up in about three years. smile.png

Hehehe, I'd quit my day job for that If I could..thumbsup.gif . Thanks, matesmile.png .

Yep. And Pattaya hasn't changed much in over 40 years, so just hang in their buddy.

In post #209 first picture, note the side of the mountain missing. That's been blasted to fill in the foundation of the base as it was built on a swamp. smile.png You can see even more mountain missing in the video background.

BTW - CCR playing in that video - love them. thumbsup.gif

I took a screen shot of the Utapao video and posting it here. The base had a very nice little beach and even an outdoor movie theater. But as you can see, the movie could be a bit difficult to hear some times. biggrin.png Also got certified to sail a catamaran and a sunfish there. //edit - just watched the rest of the clip and they show the sail boats I trained on. Great video.

//edit - saw the video said no Coke but Pepsi. Wrong there as I had Coke regularly on my excursions to Pattaya (1968). Had pancakes and coke in the morning at one of the beach restaurants on a pier.

b52_beach.JPG

TB you have started some topic i cant keep up with it, some great contributions straight from the horses mouth you might say.

Well done to all even if brings a tear to the eye.

I have to say the war past me by living in the UK but i'm learning now.

Okay my last post of the night, I think many ex-servicemen will be aware of this organization......UARSUPTHAI

http://usarsupthai.webs.com/

The first page gives a list of the units that served in Thailand, and a chronological history. I was looking at several photographs on this site and I'll have a closer look tomorrow. The site is very extensive, and fascinating.

TB. no one has ever really occupied Thailand have they?

Khmer have had a go. Burma have had a go.

It remains unique in a way.

regards

SP

That can be argued, but that's another topic. I've started a topic looking at the Hmong people, and I intend to look at the other tribes, however it had occurred to me that I / we should look at the Tai people at some point too.

I'm going to be exhausted with all this research biggrin.png

I doubt if any other topic will be as extensive as this though but I have in mind using this forum to create a quick historical overview of Siam, Lanna, Pattani, Thailand, the Tai people and the many other people of this fabulous country. I know of a member who is expert on Lanna for example, and hopefully once each topic gets a bit of momentum it will become a group effort wai.gif

Sattahip harbour was developed by the US because of(I could say in order to fuel) the Vietnam war according to the doc on post #14. I never knew this.

Very intriguing documentary,

Edited by Dancealot