Fords Funny Auto Box

They say when the Computer recognises your driving Style it sets itself. Are Fords not a Family Car.? driven by Old Grandfather,and then by My Son,....Flatout!!. .Seems Cobblers to Me.coffee1.gif

More of a publicity gimmick, in my view. It ends up perpetually hesitating on the gear to choose, from what I hear.

• Like 1

They say when the Computer recognises your driving Style it sets itself. Are Fords not a Family Car.? driven by Old Grandfather,and then by My Son,....Flatout!!. .Seems Cobblers to Me.coffee1.gif

Thank god my mrs hasn't got a computer installed. Perhaps she has. w00t.gif

More of a publicity gimmick, in my view. It ends up perpetually hesitating on the gear to choose, from what I hear.

Thats what promoted my Post. 2 Ferangs bending my ear about them over Lunch..thumbsup.gif

Nah, if She has its set to Marmite Detect.crying.gif

Nah, if She has its set to Marmite Detect.crying.gif

She likes Marmite, you could be right. huh.png.pagespeed.ce.6VcCaNwNXg.png

I've had a focus titanium plus for a few months now - done 4000Km - and haven't experienced any problem with the gearbox at all. This car has more torque than anything else you can get for the money and the 'funny gearbox' makes it shift from standing still to 120 in an apparently very short time - quicker than any other car I've seen on the road apart from your porsches etc.

i too doubt it learns your driving technique but software controls a lot of what happens and you can do a lot of ingenious stuff with software, i'm told.

• Like 1

No one would doubt You have no Probs but many do.My friend takes his back to Ford,and meets others in reception with his same prob.At our end of the Month Piss up.we all have a good gripe.I feel left out with my Boreing Honda,can only winge about its front end road noise.coffee1.gif

I don't want to start a keyboard war about the quality of Ford product.....but over the years they have been cheap on the quality of the parts they use. Too cheap!

My solution is simple. Never ever buy a Ford.

• Like 2

ive no complaints about the gearbox on my fiesta but fords servie here in pattata makes me very angry everytime i go there, im thinking about going to chomburi next time can anyone tell me if its any better there (i dont think it could be any worse).

No problems with mine. Reading extensively about this it seems that (although there are some issues, as with any car) many people are simply unused to, or unfamiliar with, this new technology. Those who expect torque converter-like transmission might feel something is wrong. Sure it's different, as it's a manual 'box, not an automatic. So, it drives like a manual with the computer changing gear. At first, I thought mine had problems but now I know what it's doing and understand it more it's a lot of fun, and with serious torque. Although I still wouldn't call it perfect yet, either and It should be said that Ford have had some problems with this new 'box, (mostly software) which can be seen from reading Ford forums around the world. As have VW with their version (DSG).

Edited by Wiggy

No problems with mine. Reading extensively about this it seems that (although there are some issues, as with any car) many people are simply unused to, or unfamiliar with, this new technology. Those who expect torque converter-like transmission might feel something is wrong. Sure it's different, as it's a manual 'box, not an automatic. So, it drives like a manual with the computer changing gear. At first, I thought mine had problems but now I know what it's doing and understand it more it's a lot of fun, and with serious torque. Although I still wouldn't call it perfect yet, either and It should be said that Ford have had some problems with this new 'box, (mostly software) which can be seen from reading Ford forums around the world. As have VW with their version (DSG).

You really should have bought a Toyota. There are noooooooo question marks, you start it and get on your way. thumbsup.gif

You really should have bought a Toyota. There are noooooooo question marks, you start it and get on your way. thumbsup.gif

Sadly, many car buyers, especially in LOS agree with TA. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

The one i drove was thrashed from new,{Fiesta}, but the one thats a bit wonky,is driven by Mr Misery, { Not a Fiesta, the one that looks like an Almeira} who dodges his round every Sunday,and knows what it does to the Litre. Perhaps a Hearty Thrashing sets em up.cheesy.gif

We have the dual clutch in my wife's Series 2 Focus TDCi. No issues at all, lots of fun and shifts nicely.

If there are issues with other models maybe it is to do with the software and matching engine to gearbox, but certainly in regards to the diesel it is great. Find it a bit of a drag going back to a torque converter, particularly if you want a sporting drive.

Had a Toyota, Honda, et al. Boring, plain and uninspiring. To me, anyway.

Had a Toyota, Honda, et al. Boring, plain and uninspiring. To me, anyway.

A Ford Cosworth R.S.,an Evo,or Scoobydoo could be called Inspiring, but Grocery Getters of any make are bland these days.

As for these boxes "learning'? they don't what they do is anticipate, so if you mash the throttle they will stay in gear longer than if you accelerate gently. When you turn the engine off they, so to speak, reset and start again when the engine is started.

Essentially what they are is an automated pre-select gear box just like the old ones in say Armstrong-Siddeley or London buses.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preselector_gearbox

I suspect problems with software are likely to be stuff like a dithering in traffic where the system does know whether it is supposed to preselect up or down. Some like VW suffer a slight delay on take-off because of the automated clutch.

As for these boxes "learning'? they don't what they do is anticipate, so if you mash the throttle they will stay in gear longer than if you accelerate gently. When you turn the engine off they, so to speak, reset and start again when the engine is started.

Essentially what they are is an automated pre-select gear box just like the old ones in say Armstrong-Siddeley or London buses.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preselector_gearbox

I suspect problems with software are likely to be stuff like a dithering in traffic where the system does know whether it is supposed to preselect up or down. Some like VW suffer a slight delay on take-off because of the automated clutch.

That was a great gearbox on the Armstrong Sidley. Real fun.

The Austin Champ used one too....only trouble is it had as many gears going back as forward so it you misselected the forward reverse you got a real shock.

That was a great gearbox on the Armstrong Sidley. Real fun.

The Austin Champ used one too....only trouble is it had as many gears going back as forward so it you misselected the forward reverse you got a real shock.

Willson Pre Selector,no extra gears on mine. Just Pre select,then push the clutch down.Reverse was only obtainable at standstill.