Help a befuddled tour guide out

FTB

Ok we all know the joys of entertaining friends and relatives from abroad. Usually not too much of an issue. However this time I have a couple that enjoy arts, laquerware, and antiquesfacepalm.gif . This is a topic for which i know nothing about locations and displays. Can those in the know please enlighten me to where I can find decent displays of such goods?

Sadly the only artist i have enjoyed from here is Supachet Bhumakarn and that is it for my insight into the topic.

Thanks in advance.

There is a place on the left side of HWY 108 between Hang Dong Marlet and Sanpatong he some really great works of art . I usually take people there when they come visit .... Its all large wood carvings ...

Edited by BB1955

There is a place on the left side of HWY 108 between Hang Dong Marlet and Sanpatong he some really great works of art . I usually take people there when they come visit .... Its all large wood carvings ...

Thank you. Are there any landmarks close by to narrow down on the location, Google map link, GOS coordinates, etc. Thanks heaps!!

In airport plaza there is a thai section of which I forget the name. It has when you go in a large collection of local Photograhs and paintings and inside some good quality (but expensive) thai craft goods of the type you mention. Worth a visit if you are in the area. They may apreciate some time in the aircon too.

Edited by harrry

BanTawai?

Along Samkampeng rd there are many Antique shops and laquerware shops just keep on driving and show them the hotsprings aswell to cool down a bit from shopping.

Ban Roi Pan Yang ?? (just after Hang Dong)

Ban Muang Keug (sp) on the way where they make the terracotta vases.

I also have the address (somewhere) for a guy in Mae Wang who makes similar to the terracotta but much better.

He copies the items in the museums (I'll see if I can find his address)

Small photographic and other museum in Wat Gate (thread on here before says it might be closed)

All the usual museums, CM 3 kings and out by Wat Jed Yot

CMU art centre up on Suthep

other art galleries around Nimman and Wat Gate mostly.

Wat SriSuphan for the murals etc

Wat Chiang Man more murals

Rachamankha hotel has some nice antiques but maybe not open to public

Tamarind Village has a nice photo exhibition (not sure until when)

Thank you. Are there any landmarks close by to narrow down on the location, Google map link, GOS coordinates, etc. Thanks heaps!!

Just to start narrowing down the location keep an eye out for North Chiang Mai University which will be on your left. The place mentioned is 3 or 4 stories high wood building and is within 5 minutes driving beyond the university and has 108 frontage.

It's a fabulous place to visit if you appreciate teak carvings. There is no entrance fee for the ground floor but 200baht gets you upstairs where there are some fabulous older carvings.

Hopefully someone comes along with specific location.

Just to start narrowing down the location keep an eye out for North Chiang Mai University which will be on your left. The place mentioned is 3 or 4 stories high wood building and is within 5 minutes driving beyond the university and has 108 frontage.

It's a fabulous place to visit if you appreciate teak carvings. There is no entrance fee for the ground floor but 200baht gets you upstairs where there are some fabulous older carvings.

Hopefully someone comes along with specific location.

Map here

https://plus.google.com/100129826374255120857/about

In airport plaza there is a thai section of which I forget the name. It has when you go in a large collection of local Photograhs and paintings and inside some good quality (but expensive) thai craft goods of the type you mention. Worth a visit if you are in the area. They may apreciate some time in the aircon too.

I believe it is called native arts and crafts.

go in the door by where the free songtels park first floor.

It is upstairs a couple of years ago the ChiangMai photography crowds had an exhibition there. I think it is called Northern Village.

http://chiangmai.thaivisa.com/shopping-centers-and-malls-around-chiang-mai/

Edited by harrry

It is upstairs a couple of years ago the ChiangMai photography crowds had an exhibition there.

Yep, next to Asia Books above the Asian food hall, next to McDonald's(1st floor - noting that the mall uses the British system of G-1-2-3-4). Good, but expensive to but there.

Bang Tawai for wood carving - also BoSang of course - and that place where they make paper and paper items from elephant poo (somewhere near the Night Safari I think - anyway there was a thread here recently, so a quick search should find it) - the museum at the end of the Walking Street market (3 kings monument) is pretty good and cheap with English speaking guides for a couple of quid/dollars - Night Bazaar (half way down on the right facing Panthip end) there is a market place with lots of drawing/painting and craft stuff (can watch the artists at work) on the lower ground floor (down the steps; note that there are public toilets at the back of this building, hidden away) and on the opposite side of the road where Boy's Blue Bar is (Hi Boy/Moo/etc) - night market and Saturday market can be an experience for tourists as can (to a much lesser extent) Night Bazaar and Ansawan Market (almost opposite Panthip next to the temple.